Boat items in KS8?

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Boat items in KS8?

Post by Starved Hound » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:42 am

Totally agree with you both ( Rabbit and Grumpy )

While I would love to see a ship which can be used as playable space/wreck when needed. It would be very expensive.

I have every faith that DF could make it work, while also having it look beautiful.
The thing is, why have they not attempted this before. Surely with the new water effect boards and with the two water themed sets in CD, that would have been the perfect time to do it.

Hell, even in the Wildlands Smugglers Fort vid, a ship would have been perfect.

Will they ever do one? I don't know. I just think that there are other things they could be doing first.

It would be nice. 🙂
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am

TBH, I don't really have a need for anymore ships. I have the falling star and a rowboat + the barge coming. I almost certainty won't need more.

That said, depending on what DF comes up with I will likely go ahead and grab a ship anyway. Especially if it has electronics or can be converted into a ruined version. Having it convertible into a ghost ship or airship with the appropriate bling would also be a plus, effectively 4 in one, saving storage space.

What kind of boats would people want?

Standard ship
Ghost ship
Airship
Ruined ship(s)

Steampunk/Steam ship is another idea, but hulls are more metal and that might be a bit tricky. Same with the not-spelljammer. That may be a little too unique to integrate into a classic ship design.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am

I would be surprised to learn that this could be a fruitful avenue for DF to pursue. I can believe that there are some avid nautical gamer fans out there, just like I can believe there are avid historical gamers and avid model railroaders for that matter. But this still seems like more of a niche market to me. Most of what DF does is general enough to work for a lot of different kinds of games in the tabletop gaming world. But ships are just so specific. It's almost like doing a minis line -- it's already addressed by other manufacturers, and it's not really a great fit for the versatility DF is meant to provide. Yes, you can do modular ships that become different kinds of vessel and even wrecks. But for someone who's not a gaming fan, it's a bit like if DF were to offer KS9: Just Trees. "This is an elm. This is a rowan. This is an elm in autumn. This is an elm with dutch elm disease. This is a birch. This is a birch with a nest in it. See? All very different." (Not to get all metaphysical, but it's the problem of the one and the many -- from one perspective, there are many different and distinct things, but from another it's really all just one thing.)

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:01 am

I personally do not NEED a DF ship or boat. I have plenty already and more on the way from other manufacturers.

However, if DF made something cool and my wife liked it... we would probably get it.

That said, my angle on this is less about what I want and more about what I think would sell well.

I do not know the pen and paper RPG community that well. I do know the tabletop wargaming community better. But even more so I know the cinema and LARPing communities.

My experience tells me that of the various genres and tropes “Pirates” (usually the early 18th Caribbean Golden Age of Piracy style) and “Vikings” always sell, they never go out of fashion and they have international appeal. Galleons and Longships.... always popular. Medieval fantasy often poaches technological anachronisms just to shoe horn Golden Age Piracy into the setting.

You can see it again and again in major motion pictures, tv series and the big European LARPs. I would be very surprised to see it different with analog miniatures gamers, be it rpg or wargame.

As for steamships... not all had steel hulls. Plenty of pulp adventure wooden hull vessels exploring the Congo and Amazon.

Part of the magic of a bigger modular DF boat/ship would be seeing just how modular you could get, without getting too fiddly, with just a single main hull as the base template.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm

Clint_Lundgren wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:44 am I just don't see how it's possible to make a DF modular ship that is remotely affordable. They make a rowboat that costs $60. I just got a smaller but more detailed one from Reaper for $2.99! How does DF compete?
Reapers $2.99 rowboat is considerably smaller and less versatile than DF's.

I don't think DF will ever compete on price (as the premium brand in the market place they don't really have to - nor do the want to fight for the bottom) but if you want to fairly compare prices look at the Stygian Barge which comes in at about $35 retail...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 pm

Law wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am KS9: Just Trees. "This is an elm. This is a rowan. This is an elm in autumn. This is an elm with dutch elm disease. This is a birch. This is a birch with a nest in it. See? All very different."
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that if DF did this - LAW would buy the whole set ;)

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:33 pm

kitenerd wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:19 pm

I am going to go out on a limb* here... LAW would buy the whole set ;)
While bark*ing about them to anyone who would listen.... 🤣

*My heckles are up at a distinct theme happening here 🙂
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:06 pm

I think the amount of effort and cost associated with something (a newfangled multipart boat) this complicated is asking for Big Trouble. Look at what is going on with the current boat. Why would they want to expend that extra effort (and SKUs) on something so niche? I don't see it being less than three figures in cost, given the current cost of the rowboat... My .02 Lupins - stick to the terrain.

I picked up two of the Firelock Games Tartana boats (13"+ length) on sale for $40 each. The single DF rowboat lists at $59. I have other resin and plastic boats of similar or larger sizes to the DF rowboat that were/are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost, have greater "carrying capacity", and are more in scale (e.g. the very thick gunwales present in the rowboat).

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:29 pm

I agree - as much as i would love a DF boat, everytime they venture into new territory it gets complicated, expensive and causes delays. There are enough options for boats and enough other creative opportunities for DF to pursue that they should stick to what they know and keep it simple

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Going to be getting a couple of ships from this KS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... escription

As well as the new Reaper ship later this year, to go along with my existing fleet that I have shown most of in other posts. While a DF ship might be cool, it would also likely be costly and really not fill any niche I do not already have something to fill. I might still get it if I really liked its look or it offered something not seen in any other ship on the market, but it would be a tough sell overall.

Return to “Pre-KS8 Discussion”