Not sealing Dwarvenite: what am I missing?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Not sealing Dwarvenite: what am I missing?

Post by lostpict » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:29 pm

It does, but paints need primers. Some of the time you can get away without a primer, but some of the time you can't. You won't know until paint starts peeling off. I worked on paint systems for the US Navy for awhile and that base layer was the key to it all. It's a bit like buying insurance. The variable paint performance attested to in this forum suggests that materials and processing variability at the factory is sufficient to warrant priming. Obtw, I gambled and did not prime my Erinthor mountains. I have lost the gamble at various times.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Celereon
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Celereon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:36 am

Hmm, that'll drastically change what I'm in for with Wildlands, then. I only have so much painting capacity.

Do you prime black and then basecoat Base Grey after? What do you use as a base colour for things like forests/caverns?

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:33 am

I have found a distinct difference in how dwarvenite takes to paint. The more grey dwarvenite tends to let it grab, but the darker stuff tend to be a bit more picky and more often needs to be washed (degreased). It also can really depend on what color paints you are trying to apply, different colors have different chemistries. I have found that while a given tile will take the Base Grey with ease, trying to start with Regal Red for instance leads to lots of beading and hydrophibic behavior. Similar with like Basalt Blue, but Earth Stone slaps right on. In general I guess I could say that the primary colors seem to have more challenge adhering, while earth tones (Browns, Greys, Cardboard, etc.) see to go on with far less issue.

I generally scrub (soak in water/dish detergent (Dawn) and then scrub with a toothbrush and rinse off - let dry) pretty much all the unpainted tiles I get these days, and it helps.

Celereon
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Celereon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:32 am

zenako wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:33 am ...In general I guess I could say that the primary colors seem to have more challenge adhering, while earth tones (Browns, Greys, Cardboard, etc.) see to go on with far less issue.

I generally scrub (soak in water/dish detergent (Dawn) and then scrub with a toothbrush and rinse off - let dry) pretty much all the unpainted tiles I get these days, and it helps.
Hmm, the issue I have isn't so much initial adherence or Dwarvenite hydrophobic characteristics. It's just that I can scratch off the paint a day later, and I feel like tossing them into a box/pieces tumbling over each other will lead to visible wear quickly.

I found that by combining black Stynylrez primer with Pokorny Base Grey in a 2:1 ratio gets me the benefits of priming while staying close to the Erinthor base colour. This also combines two steps into one, which is very important for me. You can see the results below. The Erinthor piece on the left is a little redder/browner, but the difference is hardly noticeable at a distance. More importantly, I have no plans to buy any mountains pieces prepainted (with the possible exception of a waterfalls in Wildlands), so matching isn't an issue.
Attachments
basegreyplusblack2.jpg
basegreyplusblack2.jpg (87.68 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
basegreyplusblack.jpg
basegreyplusblack.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 3708 times

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”