Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dreadhollow Forest matching Factory Paint

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 am

34 bunnies are suitably impressed :)

Very nice work OV :)
And a warm welcome to the forums.

You have set the standard high so we now expect to see pictures of some glorious foresty builds in the near future :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 am

I agree - AWESOME first post!

I haven't painted any of these, but they look fun (and challenging) to paint - you are off to a great start!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Welcome to forums and it is not often that the first post is showing off some painting. :o

Nicely done. :) I agree that Erin's video was a real help and it also helped to set my expectations that it was going to take a lot of steps. I know my forest floors were overall a bit darker green than the factory, which had a much brighter tone. Whatever, I figure forests are not that consistent so some variation is perfectly fine. Did you have an entire forest to paint? That was a bit daunting when it first arrived, but it went pretty quickly and gave a nice sense of accomplishment when finished. :D

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Looks close enough to me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:53 pm

8-) 8-) 8-)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

OtraVegas

Dreadhollow Forest matching Factory Paint

Post by OtraVegas » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:48 pm

I have been working on my unpainted Dreadhollow Forest pieces with the goal of matching the factory paint scheme. My goal is for the pieces I paint to match the factory painted pieces I already have. I have read there are slight variations in the factory paint. Here I share my experience getting my paint jobs to match my pieces. Here' what I did!

1. I watched Erin's awesome youtube video (multiple times). This guide is awesome, because of Erin's guide I felt like I could actually do a project like this. So, thank you for the video!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhYM4s6510

2. I followed her instructions, but my result was little darker than my factory pieces. So I used a lighter mix for the base and a lighter mix for the dry brushing. And at the end you'll see I used a bit of lava yellow in the final dry brush. The paints are Pokorny Paints (I am really happy with these paints - they are awesome). I was too afraid to practice on my real unpainted pieces so I made a few plaster casts (they're not perfect casts but they work). When I mixed paints I used a balance and mixed by weight.

Step 1. Base coat of Gray. I used a 2:1 Stone Edge Dry Brush : Black.
Step 2. Medium dry brush of Earthstone. After some trial and error I realized that using a lots of Earthstone is fine. So I would even nearly cover whole stones with it.
Step 3. Dry Brush. I used a 32:8:1 Stone Edge Dry Brush : Earthstone : Black. My original mixes were just too gray, so I kept upping the amount of Stone Edge Dry Brush until it looked closer.
Step 4. Very Light Dry Brush. pure Stone Edge Dry Brush on a few places.
Step 5. Selective darkening of the shadows. I used a little "Nuln Oil" from GW in the deepest cracks to try and get the shadows darker - I don't think this is really necessary.

Factory piece above. Mine below.
factoryandattempt1small.jpg
factoryandattempt1small.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 812 times
You can see that there's a little yellowish tint in the drybrush in the Factory piece and I couldn't figure out what this was. I (meaning my wife, who pointed out there was yellow in it) decided to try a tiny bit of Lava Yellow mixed in Stone Edge Dry Brush. Here's the result.

Factory piece above. Mine below.
factoryandattempt2small.jpg
factoryandattempt2small.jpg (128.11 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Final Step: Very light selective dry brush with Stone Edge Dry Brush and a tiny bit of Lava Yellow. This seems to match my factory pieces a little better.

Also - Here's the top view of my practice escarpment corner. I used Erin's instructions for the plants and I am very happy with the result. The only change I made was using my recipe above for the stones and a used a little GW Agrax Earthshde to darked up shadowed areas a little.
My practice piece above. Factory below.
topssmall.jpg
topssmall.jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 812 times

A big thanks to Dwarven Forge!

Return to “Feedback on Latest Sets”