Boat items in KS8?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Boat items in KS8?

Post by kitenerd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Seraphis the Bland wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 pm I just use a leaf blower.
Is that a cantrip? or a first level spell?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Erenor Silvershield
Orc
Orc

Post by Erenor Silvershield » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 am

kitenerd wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 pm
:lol: Fledgling wizardry at its best!

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:25 pm

Just a wild thought from watching On the Anvil 45.

If you had a modular sailing ship, you could make the bottom of the hull removable. So it could be flush to your water surface or add the back on and it could be beached, wrecked ashore or on a dry dock for repairs.

And having the bottom of the hull... you could add some accessories to replace the sails with a balloon for an “airship”..... remove the balloon add some astral wing-sails and you have a “not-spelljammer” since Nate hates that work.

I know, I know crazy idea... especially since the current modular boats are not working but it does offer something no other model ship that I am aware of does.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm

kitenerd wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 pm
Gust of wind is 2nd level. Gust of wind sustainable with concentration has got to be at least 3rd. Beware, the man has *levels*. :D

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:04 pm

I think a decent small-medium sized modular sailing ship could be designed to be "pre-wrecked". Just like they did with ruined stone walls, where it looks normal when assembled with 2-3 pieces, just omit or disconnect a piece or two and it can work as a derelict.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:44 am

I just don't see how it's possible to make a DF modular ship that is remotely affordable. They make a rowboat that costs $60. I just got a smaller but more detailed one from Reaper for $2.99! How does DF compete?

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:47 am

By having a 60 dollar rowboat that becomes something else. The modularity and versatility is what would make the price more acceptable. That the same boat can be a tiny dingy or a bigger cutter.... if they would add a mast section. Add in options for more LEDs. The thing is they need to make it more than a dingy.

That said the Reaper Bones Black dingy looks to be a steal at that price. I have not found one in Germany yet but even with postage from Spain it would still only cost me a tenner.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:36 am

It would be nice, but realistically how would it sell, not everybody wants a boat. Also, I suspect the price to be closer to $150-$200 maybe less. I don't know.

I would rather see them better using their time/energy into updating the old resin line. That would be a better money maker. ( than a modular ship )

But it's DF, who knows what they will do. I doubt they themselves even know 🤣
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 am

If anyone can make a modular boat that can work as modular building or something else then its DF.

But it would be expensive.

The boat on face value are over priced especially with the Reaper one, we have that and its a nice little rowboat.

But the DF boat is bigger and can be ruined, you could buy another Reaper boat and ruin it to be fair, but you cannot make it bigger, you can fit an entire party in it without making it bigger.

You can customise it, unlike the Reaper boat which is mostly for scenery the boat can be used for gameplay.

Its still expensive though but its very cool and very useful in playing and story telling.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 am

It is true that not everyone wants a boat, or an airship, or a not-spelljammer.

But that can be said for everything. The RPG theater of the mind crowd do not want terrain or minis at all. How much pushback did DF get in the beginning by folks who did not want to spend money on something they could create in their head? Or on graph paper?

How much is the Wizkids Skycoach? 60-70 Dollars? How much is the Falling Star? 200-250 Dollars? Both are interesting but not exactly multipurpose as designed. Yes they can be modified, just like the Reaper dingy as Rabbit Burner pointed out. But there is a market for ships and airships in my opinion.

There are a couple of stickied posts on the lead adventure forum for ships and boats...

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=24456.0

And

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30227.0

So there are plenty of options out there.... but yet folks are constantly on the look out for something new.

As far as I know no one makes a modular boat that could have sails in one game then with the change of just a few pieces a later period steam engine instead. One expensive boat... perhaps at a price that is less than two cheap ones?

I know this is all academic until they solve the current boat modularity problem but think of the potential.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Return to “Pre-KS8 Discussion”