Small Builds

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Small Builds

Post by William » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:45 am

I only have the 12"x12" Acid tray. :|
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:43 am

@Rhizom - really solid build, I like it!

And, I think using Terrain Trays is a great idea for determining build sizes.

Maybe something like this?
  • Micro = 6" Terrain Tray OR 4"x8" Terrain Tray
  • Small = 12" Terrain Tray
  • Standard = 4x 12" Terrain Trays
  • Large = 16x 12" Terrain Tray
Not sure if the "Large" size makes sense since at that point it's probably easier to just measure it table coverage (i.e. 4 ft x 4 ft).

Other ideas on how to tweak this? It feels like a great way to create informal build contests in the forum and DF could even adopt it for their real competitions.

With the light tables coming out, we could add a "Mini" category that is one light tray (8"x8") as an in-between size for Micro and Small. Not sure it's needed though.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:33 am

Not sure how many pieces I used on this one, but I think a build on one 12x12 terrain tray can be considered small.

The heroes are approaching a small garrison, that was recently conquered by horrible undead...
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg (183.43 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0737.jpg (164.61 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0738.jpg (211.26 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg (196.98 KiB) Viewed 284 times
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg (195.27 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

Calsial
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Calsial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:39 am

Here's the teaser picture I posted to my game's facebook group for our next session.

The lair is built on the ruins of a former small dwarven clanhold of the River Hammers. The dwarfhold was built near the surface and the River Hammer clan built a number of dams to use the controlled release of water from the river to power their forges and mining operations. Years ago, Syndread the black dragon destroyed the dam, flooded the surrounding area into the swamp lands it is now then delighted in carving out his lair on the ruins of the prosperous dwarven stronghold. Use of his acid breath over the years has eroded much of the stone floors, diluted acid from the dipping out of use machinery now pools in these damaged floor recesses.
Attachments
Syndread Lair.jpg
Syndread Lair.jpg (63.31 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 am

I love this idea! The pics on this thread look great, and really highlight how cool DF is.

I know I’m guilty of posting large layouts, but for YEARS I only had small ones. When it was all resin, I couldn’t afford (or store) a huge DF collection, and pretty much everything I made could fit on a TV tray.

With Dwarvenite, that’s changed - but I’ve never felt you NEED a huge layout. Yes, a large city or huge castle looks impressive. But one of the things I love about DF is how detailed it is. And from a distance big enough to see a full large layout, you miss all those details. The small mugs of ale on a tavern bar. The leering grin of a gargoyle. The figures on the amphorae. What made me want DF was how cool the individual pieces are. The mermaid fountain, the LED corner of the Forbidden Temple, the portcullis. We don’t buy DF to get a LOT of something. We buy it because what we’re getting is awesome. From a distance, all you see in a large layout is a map. It can be cool, but for me, the most breathtaking and memorable images of DF are up close.

I’ll make an effort to do some smaller layouts myself. It’ll be easier to do, since it takes less time. And it’s fun to show off how cool this stuff is, that you don’t use a ton of it. Just a few pieces, assembled in an interesting way, can be really effective. And a large layout, assembled blandly, won’t be terribly exciting.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:12 am
Like the idea of small builds, not something we do much of. We tend to build to fill the table.

Got lots of small pictures of bigger builds but not sure that counts ;)
Of course it counts! Just break it down by room, and show us those pics! :)

I finally did my first build for the game this past weekend. Doesn't really count as cool though -- or original since it was largely based off the Build of the Month (Dwarven Dirge) from last month. Just added a secret corridor with the corner secret door that ended in an alcove and the eldritch monolith.

That said, hoping to get more soon!

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am

blakoutsun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 pm
I really like using the balcony in the double door. I am definitely going to steal that idea.
It took me a minute to figure out what was going on there. But great idea. I actually used the balcony bridge in a recent build by using a 2x4 city builder floor and it looked a little out of place (also the grid didn't line up). The double door would have worked perfectly instead. I wish I'd thought of that.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:12 am

Nice builds thomas :)

Like the idea of small builds, not something we do much of. We tend to build to fill the table.

Got lots of small pictures of bigger builds but not sure that counts ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 am

blakoutsun wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 pm
I really like using the balcony in the double door. I am definitely going to steal that idea.
That is a really "stealable" idea...love that little set up. Will look to find spots to use that combo. One of the reasons I picked up more Epic stairs....

blakoutsun
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blakoutsun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”