KS8 Is getting concerning.

Grumpy Gnome
Orc
Orc

Re: KS8 Is getting concerning.

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

I have to echo Rabbit Burner on this. I agree with each of the points just made, including the last paragraph. A successful DF is better for me in the long run.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:20 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm But don't under estimate the desire for more roofs compared to dwarvenite MBS.
The two are not at all mutually exclusive. I’d like more roofs AND more MBS.

MBS looks really good with roofs on it.

arsthein
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by arsthein » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:20 pm

It's a little puzzling to me that MBS is always talked about like there is not a good way to make it that it can be used for multiple floors.

I still think that making MBS with holes under the floors, and make "wood" platforms in different sizes (4x4, 4x6, 6x6 and 8x8 for example) would be more versatile (with vertical little pegs in the platforms to fix the MBS pieces).

You could even use horizontal pegs if you want to attach several of this platforms to create odd shapes or create bigger floors (and those same holes could be used for cosmetic accesories). That way you reduce the number of pegs potentially needed, you combine the platforms, not the pieces, and avoid visible holes in the pieces per se.

And these platforms would admit wider cookie connectors, which could be great (less fidly to handle) and more stable.

I really think of this option as a no-brainer, so seeing that's not even considered (I posted about this option a while ago), makes me think that folks don't like this option at all, but I wanted to insist one more time in case it has been mostly overlooked and it's still possible to be considered.

That would definitely fudge up my wallet big time...

Greetings!
Last edited by arsthein on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm

I’m with you, arsthein.

While DF is doubling down on CBS, I’ve started cutting my own miniature metal terrain trays to facilitate building up with MBS.

arsthein
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by arsthein » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:39 pm

Riley wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:23 pm I’m with you, arsthein.

While DF is doubling down on CBS, I’ve started cutting my own miniature metal terrain trays to facilitate building up with MBS.
Thank you pal, it really is comforting to know that while I may be in a minority, I'm not just having lunatic ideas. By the way, I edited my post about the would-be-platform-connectors after you posted.

I've ended working with metachrylate trays to accomplish the same goal. They are cheap, light, and easy to store, and with them I can have trap doors in upper floors that, while can't accommodate a hand stair, are transparent.

BUT still, I'm in desperate need of more MBS style tiles (in ancient times I only was able to afford 1 set and 1 expansion). The DF resin OG are rare and expensive, and I just can't make myself like the wizkids ones (not for lack of trying, lots of mental gymnastics about it lately). I'm looking to see what Rampage Dungeons does instead in the future.

AND still, I would prefer something with some way to avoid the MBS pieces to slide from the platform when moved around.

AND I would rather support DF and enjoy the benefits of dwarvenite, of course.

This would solve so many of my problems... even the 3x3 grid per 4x4 floor issue. Heck, I would even use something like that for dungeons, caverns hiding in an outdoor setup under rock formations/hills, etc...

Add a little tab cosmetically concealed to look like wood to better lift the floors and you are golden. First to manufacture something like that would get good news from me.

Greetings!

EDIT: Oh! and this would even make having upper floors with bigger footprints than the one of the floor below (another topic discussed this days) a piece of cake.

Jefferi2
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jefferi2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Rabbit- I must have been looking at different posts because I didn’t see many people loving the small fiddle bits in wildlands.

After watching last nights OTA I’m even more confused about the direction this KS is taking. Wildlands was their most successful Kickstarter and the lessons learned seem to be abandoned. People want large pieces that can be used in a bunch of different ways. When people were reminded how large the tiles and escarpments were last night everyone went nuts. Imagine if that 6x6 tile was broken up into 9 2x2’s. No way you get that reaction. Same if those escarpments were broken up into smaller pieces. You get more modularity sure but also add to the complexity and wildlands strength was its simplistic design. The large size makes it very easy to imagine builds and get peoples creative juices flowing.

The other part is DF seems to be moving to modularity for modularity’s sake in this KS. Instead of creating something like swamp banks that have a bunch of uses on their own they are doing skins which seem destined for problems and wanting to dress everything up with small fiddly add ons. Is there a market for this for the diorama people? Sure. But I think that DF’s market has shifted dramatically to the critical role style of building where builds get “flown” in and out during a game. That’s essentially what the wildlands ranger pledge was and why battleboards were created.

I would be very curious to see how many people would ever take off the roof of a building to play with the interior space in a town instead of just flying in a separate room build. I know this forum has a bunch of long term doofers so probably not the best audience but I can promise you that most of these new wildland backers will not be using the terrain this way.

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm

arsthein wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:39 pm AND still, I would prefer something with some way to avoid the MBS pieces to slide from the platform when moved around.
This is something I had only an hour or so to try out last week, but:

I bought some thin, adhesive-backed sheets of felt, and stuck those to both sides of a metal sheet.

It worked GREAT! The material on the bottoms of the MBS pieces gripped tightly to the felt, and the pieces really don’t want to shift around.

(The felt on the underside of the metal tray also reduced sliding of the tray over the underlying MBS wall tops, and lets me worry less about chipping paint.)

I was shocked by how well it worked. I’m hoping to find time to do some proper building, and then I’m intending to post photos here.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 pm

Jefferi2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:51 pm I would be very curious to see how many people would ever take off the roof of a building to play with the interior space in a town instead of just flying in a separate room build. I know this forum has a bunch of long term doofers so probably not the best audience but I can promise you that most of these new wildland backers will not be using the terrain this way.
I do not mean to offend, but have you ever played a game where the entire terrain/scenery was immediately and readily "playable"? Having run a city campaign, I can tell you have amazing it is to take off the roof and already have the inn/workshop/etc already set up. The players eat it up, every - single - time. First hand experience here from games I've hosted both for normal game night and conventions. It's something special.

Wildlands is a totally different environment than a city. Cities can look VERY repetitive with the same large chunky pieces. DF already gets some flak for CBS being too repetitive; hence the reason they are looking for ways to spice it up. It's the same reason Warlock tiles have so many variances and are smaller pieces; it appears to be selling very well from what I can tell. I also prefer simplicity instead of over-engineering, but saying "most of these new wildlands backers" is a VERY wide brush. CBS has been one of Dwarven Forge's most recognized and successful products since the switch to Dwarvenite, and the thing that makes it different than the competition is the exact thing you say people don't care about. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's not someone else's. I'm sure I play on my terrain differently than you play with yours, and that's perfectly ok. :) Just my $0.02.

Here's my city campaign: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8121#p108398
101 Resin and 269 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Yacker
Orc
Orc

Post by Yacker » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:52 pm

AnimeSensei that looks awesome and exactley what I hope to get out of my current CBS and the new KS. Simple town/city layout that works both inside and out.

Cannot wait for the new roof ideas! :)
The drunkin DM and yack666 on Twitch

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Maybe he's confusing his weekends LARPing in the Motor City and forgot that just because there's nothing inside those abandoned houses, doesn't mean these D.F. houses aren't full of treasure and adventure. :lol:
Just playin' ;)
Go, Lions and Tigers and, ah shucks, that just doesn't work. :?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Pre-KS8 Discussion”