Mini Review of Curved Hedges (with Straights)

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Mini Review of Curved Hedges (with Straights)

Post by zenako » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 am

William wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 am Look at that, some dirty fingers... :lol:

I do like that change. I just received my set of the unpainted Plaguestone curved hedges. I will be getting on them soon, but I have so many book cases, desks and chairs to finish up too. Ended up with two more book case/desk sets from Gert.
Book Cases.jpg
P.S. -
Anyone know who makes these? Size of Thomorillion's, but a different look.

P.P.S. -
I'm really hoping you don't get too "into" painting again before the end of the year.
You know why, I have that P.M. still. :P ;)

Well those are not the Mantic versions either. I posted some shots of mine in this thread yesterday. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11760&start=30

There are a number of knockoffs I have seen over the years while looking for library parts. Some have better detail than others. Do not recognize the ones you have.

realarete
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by realarete » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:49 am

Those Manrtic shelves are nice.

Riley
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Riley » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:23 am

dice4hire wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm I also could not separate mine.
Dice, did you get unpainted hedges?
(I thought perhaps sticky paint might be acting like glue, but that would rule my idea out, obviously.)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am

realarete wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:38 am
kitenerd wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 am

it is a little dark - with the factory green & wash you end up painting brown over all the highlights so the walls get kinda dark - but i like them a lot better than the factory paint
I bought unpainted for the hedges as well, going to try your style of paint here. Great work!!!!
i painted over factory paint - i would go a bit lighter if starting from scratch - here is Dice's recipe:

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 19#p187019

i don't have DF brown for some reason??!? (i thought i had them all...) i used Reaper Saddle Brown - sloppy is better - thin the paint a bit and don't try to paint the whole branch just the top edge (they very quickly become more brown than green - especially the curves) - mine are pretty sloppy close up but they work just fine for tabletop - even sloppy they took longer than expected - i really respect people who paint an entire large pledge

the straights are more 3d and more fun to paint than the curves - or maybe it is just the rabbit!

speaking of, if Dave got a little goofy yesterday afternoon, it is because my daughters were playing with the hedges and once they found the bunny they couldn't stop kissing the tiles!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Talistran » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Riley wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:48 pm Unrelated Hedge Arch question:
Is the base glued to the arch?

I could not easily separate the top from the bottom, as one can do with the KS6 and KS5 archways.
It is attached. I tried putting a large amount of force on them and they did not come apart.

I was able to attach some doors. Certainly not easy, and you have to bend the dwarvenite significantly to get it. I suggest bending it in the middle of the door and not the inserts as the inserts would probably break.

Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Talistran » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:07 pm

kitenerd wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 am Will miracles never cease... i actually painted something!

IMG_8126.JPG
Looks great, nicer than the factory for sure. :)

I would have happily paid $5 more for the thorns and vines to have been painted. :(

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Your hedges do indeed look good.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am

I'm sold too. I'll probably have to go back and paint my factory hedges at some point. I didn't realize how much more I would like them until seeing someone's brown painted branches.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:15 pm

kitenerd wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 am
realarete wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:38 am
kitenerd wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:13 am

it is a little dark - with the factory green & wash you end up painting brown over all the highlights so the walls get kinda dark - but i like them a lot better than the factory paint
I bought unpainted for the hedges as well, going to try your style of paint here. Great work!!!!
i painted over factory paint - i would go a bit lighter if starting from scratch - here is Dice's recipe:

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 19#p187019

i don't have DF brown for some reason??!? (i thought i had them all...) i used Reaper Saddle Brown - sloppy is better - thin the paint a bit and don't try to paint the whole branch just the top edge (they very quickly become more brown than green - especially the curves) - mine are pretty sloppy close up but they work just fine for tabletop - even sloppy they took longer than expected - i really respect people who paint an entire large pledge

the straights are more 3d and more fun to paint than the curves - or maybe it is just the rabbit!

speaking of, if Dave got a little goofy yesterday afternoon, it is because my daughters were playing with the hedges and once they found the bunny they couldn't stop kissing the tiles!
Dave loves all the attention, but he can be a bit of a drama queen.

Nice job on the wood k-nerd :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm

William wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:06 am Look at that, some dirty fingers... :lol:

I do like that change. I just received my set of the unpainted Plaguestone curved hedges. I will be getting on them soon, but I have so many book cases, desks and chairs to finish up too. Ended up with two more book case/desk sets from Gert.
Book Cases.jpg
P.S. -
Anyone know who makes these? Size of Thomorillion's, but a different look.

P.P.S. -
I'm really hoping you don't get too "into" painting again before the end of the year.
You know why, I have that P.M. still. :P ;)
Tiny Furniture. I commented in another thread with this, but just to make sure you see it...

101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

Return to “Pathfinder Sets - Plaguestone”