Mini Review of Curved Hedges (with Straights)

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Mini Review of Curved Hedges (with Straights)

Post by Talistran » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Howdy,

So, I got my plaguestone tonight and took a moment to open up the thing I was most excited for: Curved hedge packs.

First, the sculpts look great and appear to match up very well with the KS6 straight hedges. Excellent.

Second, the paint job matches well as well. Nicely done, DF.

Third, I love the doorways! Maybe I would have preferred the sculpt match up a little better with the height of the straight and curved walls... but it isn't bad. I just think it could have been sloped a little more and tapered at the end to match up. However, maybe DF wanted the thorn gate to match up in height with cavern walls? This thought came to me just as I was typing this up so I don't have a picture to check.

Fourth, the "window" openings in the hedge are cool. SLIGHTLY taller than the other walls, but I think that works out just fine.

Fifth, there is a discrepancy in the height of the curved wall and the straight walls. :( The curved walls are quite a bit taller. Can it work ok? Absolutely! They still look great as long as you mix them up. If you put a bunch of curved together and then a bunch of straights it is pretty obvious. Does anyone have any idea why DF chose to vary the height so much in this piece? I just don't understand why that change took place.

You can see it here in the left: Curved wall, straight, door, curved, window. You can see the height difference again when comparing the height of the straight against the door on the left and then the curved against the door on the right.

Sixth, I really wish that two straight walls were equal in length to one doorway. So, either the straight walls should have been longer or the doorways should have been shorter. Which one? Check it out here, with the straight pieces on the right:

Here you can see my 3-year old's hands reaching in because he wanted to "build something better than you Dad" while I was taking pictures :)

Anyways, overall I'm pleased... but there does seem to be a few things that just don't make sense in the sizes. Sculpts are good, paint is a great match.

Oh and here is a sneak peak of a 30-minute timed build that I did with the new hedges just to play around with them. And why do I have the banks surrounding the meadow? Check out the picture forum for more. :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Mini Review of Curved Hedges (with Straights)

Post by Oldent » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks for the photo. 8-)

I think I am going to use more brown.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Talistran » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:58 pm

Oldent wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 pm Thanks for the photo. 8-)

I think I am going to use more brown.
Browner vines and thorns will certainly "pop" more amidst a forest too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

gromorthodox
Orc
Orc

Post by gromorthodox » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:42 am

How do you find the forest TTs? I am thinking of buying some.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 am

Great review...

The size thing is annoying and looks like simple carelessness - which is weird in a DF era when all sculptors can quote sizes to 2-3 decimal places... In the end this is something that i am unlikely to build with perfect straight line and square corners so fudging for the width will be easy, but it is just dumb to not have things line up on the top edge

I bought painted and will add "woodieness" to them all because i don't like how green they are - check out the last picture in this post from Dice4Hire - his are gorgeous

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 23#p186805
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Talistran
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Talistran » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:47 am

gromorthodox wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:42 am How do you find the forest TTs? I am thinking of buying some.
I bought mine as part of KS6.

Unfortunately, the ONLY time you can guarantee access to any DF product is during the KS/PM. After that, you have to be lucky... you can reduce the amount of required luck by throwing extra money at the problem, but ultimately you still have to be lucky enough to find someone willing to take gobs of money for a limited product.

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 am

Nice build Talistran. I like the hedge Arena a lot! Aside from the entire set I also ordered two extra hedge packs and two extra curved cages packs. Since unboxing a couple days ago with my two young daughters I didn't notice the size discrepancies. I didn't get much individual building time though so I'll have to go back and investigate.
On a side note - I noticed some of the dungeon and forest pieces to have a bit more warping than I saw in either DoD or CD/DH kickstarters. My 8x8 dungeon floor from Plaguestone was/is very warped. It is a little better now that I bent the hell out of it but it still warps around the center and a few other places. I'm considering asking for a better one to be sent.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:46 am

Put it in a ziploc bag, boil a pot of water, and put it in the boiling water for a minute. Pull it out and put a book on it while it cools down. It should be flat for a long time. The warpage was likely due to this same issue while in transport over the summer. Heat and pressure don't make diamonds, but warped dwarvenite.
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:51 am

The DH thorn wall is designed to fit the Door ways. I don't think the slight size variation matters much.

I want to order another set when it hits the store. I did not think I would want two gates :o

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:55 am

AnimeSensei wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:46 am Put it in a ziploc bag, boil a pot of water, and put it in the boiling water for a minute. Pull it out and put a book on it while it cools down. It should be flat for a long time. The warpage was likely due to this same issue while in transport over the summer. Heat and pressure don't make diamonds, but warped dwarvenite.
I do not have plastic ziplock large enough for 8X8 ;) A dollar store dish washing tub will work.

Return to “Pathfinder Sets - Plaguestone”