Pricing Headscratcher

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Pricing Headscratcher

Post by kitenerd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Part of the fun of buying DF is trying to apply logic to the sometimes seemingly totally random pricing of product/paint premiums/KS to retail mark up. Those of us with a little OCD and a math brain make ourselves fairly crazy... the truth is we don't have all the information so we have no idea - the truth is also that i believe sometimes DF just rolls some dice calls that the price and moves on ;)

This is particularly confounding
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.40.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.40.36 PM.png (593.6 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.41.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 12.41.00 PM.png (362.92 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Wow - those Magnetic Manacles must cost a fortune to produce!!!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Pricing Headscratcher

Post by zenako » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm

The other possibility is what is called loss leaders to try and hook in more Pathfinder players into the DF world of 3D tiles. also in the KS the price for the Cage Add-on was only $21, which is a more fair comparison to the Preorder Price for Plaguestone sets. Those magnetic manacles with chains are probably more work than a simple cage wall and simple paint. Not saying that DF pricing is sometimes somewhat opaque to logic, but it generally has some level of rational basis.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Likely the factory expected issues with the first set (perhaps the corner) and so they quoted a price to cover themselves, after having little issues with making the first set they lowered their cost for the second set.

I could totally be wrong but we need to remember that it is the factory that really sets prices.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:54 am

I am just excitedly waiting for my cages to arrive - thought i would look into adding square cages... The curved pack will make 2 complete cages (a pen and a display cage if you will) while it takes 2 of the square packs to make one freestanding cage!

They are meant for different usages, but wow - the compositions are polar opposites
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Pathfinder Sets - Plaguestone”