Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

We’ve had the pleasure of working with the team at Paizo to create a series of licensed sets for Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The sets – four exciting new Encounters - were specifically designed for the inaugural module The Fall of Plaguestone.
Post Reply
User avatar
Alarian
Orc
Orc
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Brainerd, MN
Contact:

Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Alarian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm

What are peoples thoughts on using the woodland sets in place of the thorn walls? I already have two sets of the woodland and although I know they tend to not line up the best, I was thinking they would be a good replacement for the thorns. I would have been more exited about the thorns if they had had straight pieces and I know the curvy can be used to form a mostly straight line, but when I think of a hedge maze or such, I don't think of curvy walls all over the place.

What do others think?

User avatar
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 7149
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm
Location: South Weber, UT

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm

I don't think the curved sections will work as well for a hedge maze as people are thinking; the bends aren't 90 degrees, so it will be highly difficult to make something without using a lot of space, which requires more packs.

I think the Woodland sets could be a decent stand-in, though one is definitely more dangerous than the other.

Maybe a woodland that has been beset by a malignant force, causing thorns and other dangers to appear?
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

User avatar
Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Alarian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm What are peoples thoughts on using the woodland sets in place of the thorn walls? I already have two sets of the woodland and although I know they tend to not line up the best, I was thinking they would be a good replacement for the thorns. I would have been more exited about the thorns if they had had straight pieces and I know the curvy can be used to form a mostly straight line, but when I think of a hedge maze or such, I don't think of curvy walls all over the place.

What do others think?
The straights are in the bramble pack from ks6 (Caverns Deep). A pack of those has 8 straights i think (and two thorn patches). Combine that with the plaguestone thorn pack and you have it all.

The only real drawback to using woodlands is they have floors attached. They dont have the flexibilty of the free standing thorn walls. So as long as you are willing to work with that they should work as an excellent substitution.

User avatar
Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 3963
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Vegomatic wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm
Alarian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm What are peoples thoughts on using the woodland sets in place of the thorn walls? I already have two sets of the woodland and although I know they tend to not line up the best, I was thinking they would be a good replacement for the thorns. I would have been more exited about the thorns if they had had straight pieces and I know the curvy can be used to form a mostly straight line, but when I think of a hedge maze or such, I don't think of curvy walls all over the place.

What do others think?
The straights are in the bramble pack from ks6 (Caverns Deep). A pack of those has 8 straights i think (and two thorn patches). Combine that with the plaguestone thorn pack and you have it all.

The only real drawback to using woodlands is they have floors attached. They dont have the flexibilty of the free standing thorn walls. So as long as you are willing to work with that they should work as an excellent substitution.
I think the resin woodland walls will look good. Two sets should be plenty.You might need a few more open floor sections because of the floors are attached to the walls.

I like the curved walls. Hedge walls are often wavy.

Image

I have planned to add the straight hedge section to this dollar store trellis for a gate. I won't have to make one to match now that the gate will be available.

Watch for interesting things at the craft and dollar store. The thorns are cut down Halloween decorations. The trellis was a dollar store decoration from Christmas.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

User avatar
Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 3963
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Oldent » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:11 pm

I like the idea of using the Resin Woodlands set with this scenario.

Image

From Dwarven Forge Facebook page

The area of the forest is a little larger than 2 square feet. If you don't have enough floor tiles you can blend the floor tile in with a florist mat.


Image

This is a summer mat.The Halloween mats are in the craft stores now. You may be able to find rolls at steep discount.


Image

It may be too late this year for summer.Fall is already on discount.


Image

At the end of summer sales you can find the rolls at discount. You may can still order some ;)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

User avatar
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 4675
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:47 pm
Location: Redwood Empire

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by kitenerd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 am

Lady Sabelle has the best solution for a hedge maze - plus the signpost with the pointing fingers ;) - i REALLY need to get one of those and time to paint it ;)

I plan on using thorn walls as scatter and obstacles to make combat more interesting
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

User avatar
Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 3963
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:28 pm

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am

kitenerd wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 am Lady Sabelle has the best solution for a hedge maze - plus the signpost with the pointing fingers ;) - i REALLY need to get one of those and time to paint it ;)

I plan on using thorn walls as scatter and obstacles to make combat more interesting
I have that set of molds.A very nice set. I rate it expert/difficult 8-) I think it is suitable for a more formal garden maze. I have some cast for a Hobbit diorama.
The pointing finger is among my favorites.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

User avatar
Alarian
Orc
Orc
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Brainerd, MN
Contact:

Re: Using Woodlands set in place of the thorn walls?

Post by Alarian » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:36 pm

I used to have a ton of the Hirst molds, but I just don't have the time anymore to make and paint my own stuff. I actually gave away about 20 molds as well as 50+ pounds of Merlin and all the other mold making stuff I had about a year ago. Lady Sabelle's molds do look good, but I'm about 98% Dwarven Forge now days. Every once and a while I'll grab something off Ebay if it catches my eye, but otherwise pre-painted DF.

Post Reply

Return to “Pathfinder Sets - Plaguestone”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest