KS7 Wildlands hints, teaser and beans

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 Wildlands hints, teaser and beans

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 am

Good spot DrS :)

Though looks odd that the top is unpainted, or is it a fallen obsidian obelisk or just a scatter rock placed on a scatter tree stump or is it a plant …..???
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

DrSalt
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DrSalt » Wed May 13, 2020 10:52 pm

In this evening Twitch stream, Nate mentioned he may have accidentally shown off an unreleased item from the previous stream (and even mentioned where to find it, so some brief detective work) I managed to clip the following rock from Wildlands
Thanks Nate for the tip - I missed it the other night
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 3.49.11 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 3.49.11 am.png (158.42 KiB) Viewed 759 times

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 pm
I have been following this thread, and the variety of ideas is impressive, but really too much for my table. I really do not want so many niche pieces that i have to buy, store and remember to put in my builds.

And I know a lot of people would want them painted in different styles too. This seems like a good place for one or two simple pieces that people paint to match their desires.
Dice's position simply illustrates this is not a one-size-fits-all situation. DM style, player preferences, DM time available (for painting, making sets etc), storage space, play space - a million variations. I enjoy hearing about others' campaigns and requirements.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 pm

I have been following this thread, and the variety of ideas is impressive, but really too much for my table. I really do not want so many niche pieces that i have to buy, store and remember to put in my builds.

And I know a lot of people would want them painted in different styles too. This seems like a good place for one or two simple pieces that people paint to match their desires.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

I agree, some thoughtful transition pieces that are mainly for combining grid sizes would be useful. It can be pretty small.

I also want to suggest the idea of scatter or free standing sapling trees, possibly a small cluster of a few very young trees in up to a 2x2 size scatter. Around 3"-3.5" tall should be good enough. Just a simple design of the base and one part tree tops with skinny trunks, possibly smaller pins. It seems like this is what is missing from forests to make them more complete (aside from some bushes or other undergrowth that is more difficult to solve).

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 am

A practical and not esthetic reason for some "transition" tiles is matching up the basic sizes of DH forest tiles to all of the other tile schemes for castles and cities. 6" base size (or 3" if you prefer) with the 4" or 2" basic sizing for those schemes. Having some suitable and "generic" type tiles that fill those likely gaps and look suitable as a transition as well, would be useful. The most flexible would be something like the repurposed sewer tiles (1x2 and 1x1). Those are basically flat with no real features. I could see a variety of those being made with a small variation on the sculpts and paint schemes to accommodate a lot of situations.

Basic styles would be: dirt, grass/greenery, a flat exposed stone, with suitable texture for each. Split the tiles along the long direction, with one 2" side being option A, and the other Option B. With just 3 options, that limits the combinations to just three.

1) Dirt and Grass
2) Dirt and Stone
3) Grass and Stone

They could also make 1x1's with the same options. Simple to paint, and inexpensive (for DF) to mold and produce.

They become an optional buy for folks, and perhaps have a small number included in some kits. They could produce them in standard packs as well. The current $38 ($30 unpainted) Sewer Floor tile packs come with 24 1x2's and 12 1x1's. They could have 8 of each 1x2 combo and 4 of each 1x1 combo in each pack. I would pick up a few either in a KS or later.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 am

93x74R wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 pm
Adustus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm
While terrain tray transitions are there, and useful, it's still not quite the same as having a transition tile to connect two sets of tiles you've already bought, so we do want to provide those options as well if possible.

As Rabbit noted, the hardest thing when it comes to transitions is that you're looking at a lot of specific pieces that are only good in one place, but it's a place that really needs to be filled. If it were possible to make a handful of molds for transition pieces that could function between multiple terrain types, that would be ideal. A forest/cave transition, for example, can be paired with the existing cavern/Hellscape transition, as well as hopefully lead into burrows and other underground sets if done right. Our goal is to find a balance with modularity and beauty, and with transitions it's a little harder than usual. It's a puzzle, for sure.

A desire for forest/CBS is something I personally want as well. A village nestled in the woods is a quintessential fantasy setting, and I'd love to see that on the table.
Transitions suitable for a village or lonely tower are certainly what I am looking for and I think would be a good seller for their role playing utility. Cities/major fortresses have lots of labor available to 'tidy things up' and justify harsh transitions. Grandma's cottage in the woods, not so much. Maybe the wolf is a Lycanthrope and that really is Grandma with big teeth. :D
What transitions are you looking for here 93?

So these are our thoughts ;)

Struggling to see what transition would be appropriate for a lonely tower. Would there be foundations, bare rock around the outside of the base ? if so they would not be above the ground. Remember when new or in use castles would mostly have the ground around them flattened and cleared assuming no moat so clear DH tiles seem the most appropriate.

There are batterbases that could be used if seen to be appropriate

If you used a battlemat, you would just plonk a tower on it with no thought to transitions. So why not do that on a clear DH tile ?

If it was a ruined tile then some detritus would be good up against the tower walls. DF do some piles of subble, but not enough in our opinion and none that would mold to the curves of a tower.

The same for house or cottage when built and used what transition do we expect to see? worked land, stone yard, lawn ?

To be fair we are not against seeing worked land and lawn tiles - though we will not see these in Wildlands. Do we have the equivalent of a stone yard tiles - DoD floors?

I think Law ands others have used city pavements or DoD tiles to great effect

We think one of he reasons why these builds have looked better than expected is because they are actually more natural then expected, you don't need transitions or anything special - except a way to go from 6" to 4" easily ;)

So curious what transitions DooFers see as needed :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 pm

Adustus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm
While terrain tray transitions are there, and useful, it's still not quite the same as having a transition tile to connect two sets of tiles you've already bought, so we do want to provide those options as well if possible.

As Rabbit noted, the hardest thing when it comes to transitions is that you're looking at a lot of specific pieces that are only good in one place, but it's a place that really needs to be filled. If it were possible to make a handful of molds for transition pieces that could function between multiple terrain types, that would be ideal. A forest/cave transition, for example, can be paired with the existing cavern/Hellscape transition, as well as hopefully lead into burrows and other underground sets if done right. Our goal is to find a balance with modularity and beauty, and with transitions it's a little harder than usual. It's a puzzle, for sure.

A desire for forest/CBS is something I personally want as well. A village nestled in the woods is a quintessential fantasy setting, and I'd love to see that on the table.
Transitions suitable for a village or lonely tower are certainly what I am looking for and I think would be a good seller for their role playing utility. Cities/major fortresses have lots of labor available to 'tidy things up' and justify harsh transitions. Grandma's cottage in the woods, not so much. Maybe the wolf is a Lycanthrope and that really is Grandma with big teeth. :D

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 11, 2020 2:57 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:58 pm
that is a great idea - i would love to see a city street - or alleyway - sort of crumble and slope down to a battlemat - BANKS for CITIES!!!

trouble always happens on the edge of town
AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:15 pm
•City <-> Dreadhollow/Wildlands (Curbing, street "banks" that have the street slope down towards a mat/terrain tray, or if we get dirt roads in Wildlands, I want a city streets to dirt road transition)
Yep! ;)
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon May 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 am
kitenerd wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:25 am
period3 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm
I want to put parks and gardens in my city. I want to be able to leave the city and go out into the wild in a way that looks good and makes sense.
don't worry period3 - one day this pandemic will be over and you will be able to take off your mask and go frolic in the forest....

"frolic"

Now there is a word not used nearly enough :(

In the Real World we live in a small village in the Cambridgeshire countryside and with the lockdown we have been running and walking around the village and taking note on transitions from man made to country, roads to tracks etc.

Generally the transition between man made and nature is stark, pavements, fences etc then wildlands.

Its the roads and pavements that then turn into paths and tracks which is where you see transitions. Roads to tracks, pavements or alleyways to paths. So 9ts these we would like to see sometime. You could add some overgrown pavements to help smooth the transition, they could also be used for parks etc.
that is a great idea - i would love to see a city street - or alleyway - sort of crumble and slope down to a battlemat - BANKS for CITIES!!!

trouble always happens on the edge of town
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”