Sell me on the Threshold of Worlds

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Sell me on the Threshold of Worlds

Post by GardenDM » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:50 am

It shouldn't be too difficult since I'm a sucker for limited edition anything.

The Moonlit Arch is easy for me in that I can see many possibilities for fun gaming scenarios. But so far the Threshold of Worlds just feels like another set of big rocks, of which I'm getting several options in my Wildlands pledge.

Why did you decide to get Threshold of Worlds? What awesome gaming options do you imagine for it? What are the hidden details or features that you love?

Also, there are hidden faces (?) - I can't see them. And are the tree branches removeable? I assume so.

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Sell me on the Threshold of Worlds

Post by pacarat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 pm

There's a large skull in the rock face...

Adustus
Orc
Orc

Post by Adustus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Here's a link to a clip where Nate shows off the hidden skull face: https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentMoistSc ... 3PNSYLi4ib

Personally, I view the Moonlit Arch and Threshold as having two different build philosophies. The Moonlit Arch is a great standalone piece (although it does have some creative use cases when you put it in a town square or use the curved Ruins Arches to make a little cage behind it) whereas the Threshold is a basically an extremely nice-looking set of extra-height escarpments that can fit dozens of ways into the build.

Their footprint works with almost every other escarpment/cliff piece and the angle you put them at opens a bunch of options; for example, you can put the concave parts together to make a safe nook for setting up an overnight camp, or you can have them on cliffs over a river. I kind of look at them as being the Forest version of the Oblivion Nexus. They can function both as a setpiece (thought not QUITE as individually striking as the Arch, a duel on a large platform underneath those trees feels cinematic and can carry planeshifting effects and the like) and as a way to create a more varied and threatening environment--you can put one on the Titanstooth base to make a 20-foot climb up a sheer rockface, suspend a bridge between them, etc. When we played with them on stream, we went a half hour over time because we kept coming up with ideas.

So I guess that's my general take; the Moonlit Arch is more of a bling piece, whereas the Threshold has more of a bread and butter functionality to it. Though the decorative pieces it comes with are some nice bling that can be dropped in a lot of places.

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Adustus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm Here's a link to a clip where Nate shows off the hidden skull face: https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentMoistSc ... 3PNSYLi4ib

Personally, I view the Moonlit Arch and Threshold as having two different build philosophies. The Moonlit Arch is a great standalone piece (although it does have some creative use cases when you put it in a town square or use the curved Ruins Arches to make a little cage behind it) whereas the Threshold is a basically an extremely nice-looking set of extra-height escarpments that can fit dozens of ways into the build.

Their footprint works with almost every other escarpment/cliff piece and the angle you put them at opens a bunch of options; for example, you can put the concave parts together to make a safe nook for setting up an overnight camp, or you can have them on cliffs over a river. I kind of look at them as being the Forest version of the Oblivion Nexus. They can function both as a setpiece (thought not QUITE as individually striking as the Arch, a duel on a large platform underneath those trees feels cinematic and can carry planeshifting effects and the like) and as a way to create a more varied and threatening environment--you can put one on the Titanstooth base to make a 20-foot climb up a sheer rockface, suspend a bridge between them, etc. When we played with them on stream, we went a half hour over time because we kept coming up with ideas.

So I guess that's my general take; the Moonlit Arch is more of a bling piece, whereas the Threshold has more of a bread and butter functionality to it. Though the decorative pieces it comes with are some nice bling that can be dropped in a lot of places.
Thank you, this was very helpful!

And I stumbled around Twitch and found another longer video showing all the ways to use the Threshold. Ultimately I added it to my pledge since I can now imagine some lovely ways to incorporate it into play.

I'm still a little lost on Twitch and get most of my video content on Youtube.

Adustus
Orc
Orc

Post by Adustus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm

GardenDM wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm I'm still a little lost on Twitch and get most of my video content on Youtube.
If it helps, we recently started backing up all the streams on YouTube. I try to get them all posted within 24 hours, and sort it into playlists if you ever want to binge: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCspJ1S ... TmbjHco80w

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 pm

Adustus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm
GardenDM wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm I'm still a little lost on Twitch and get most of my video content on Youtube.
If it helps, we recently started backing up all the streams on YouTube. I try to get them all posted within 24 hours, and sort it into playlists if you ever want to binge: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCspJ1S ... TmbjHco80w
Most excellent! I too have bandwidth issues that make Twitch, ah, twitchy. Youtube works much better for me. I'll watch these for sure. Thank you.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 pm

No video works well with my connection,............................................
so I've barely seen anything D.F. does in video format. :?: :? ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:22 am

Great to hear about the Twitch streams showing up on Youtube!

As for the ToW, I was sorta feeling the same way. It does look awesome, and under other circumstances I would have definitely wanted it. But I passed, because in the end it was just too similar to what I was already getting to justify the added expense, particularly for something that was going to be fragile. Arguably the Moonlit Arch is similarly, uh, similar to the Archaeaeaean Arches pieces, but somehow that one felt necessary to me. ;)

I like that DF continues to produce some special resin pieces, and there's clearly a market for them. There is undeniably something special about having a spectacular piece in sculpted resin which can stand on a shelf as a unique item as well as work well within lots of layouts. I'm just at the stage of collecting where, after so many years and so many sets, I'm actively looking for reasons to pass something up. I'm reaching the point where stuff coming in means I have to find stuff I can get rid of. Heck, for that matter, I've reached the point now where the stuff I have to get rid of is going to shift from "Yes, this is nice, but I haven't taken it out in about ten years" to "um, yeah, no, I do really like this, and I use it all the time, but if I had to absolutely pick between this and something else, I guess, yeah...."

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 am

We probably did not need ToW as Law states the Arch goes really well with the ruins and we bought an imperial ton of those.

But ToW is unique and still works well with any part of Wildlands, you can bang it in a swamp, a forest or inline with escarpments.

It will also add a centre piece and still look natural, well kinda, its point is to be a little supernatural ;)

So we went for one as our experience with Hellscape resin is its pretty durable and we will always look to include them in builds as they look amazing.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”