Well, that didn’t take long...

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Well, that didn’t take long...

Post by zenako » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:27 am

i would give the serious edge to those dark elves in any endurance or distance race. The "beasts" they have pulling their rig will not get tired. Hardly seems fair, but then that Elven Paladin just "turns undead" as they pass them (skeletons are slow) and the steeds either veer off course or crumble. Hard to know what is kosher and what is not in a race with fully armed contestants.

Years ago I actually had some chariot racing happen in a campaign I ran, but did not have any minis for it, so I used the board and tokens from the strategy game, Circus Maximus to reflect it. Would love to have the minis like those however.

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 am

zenako wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:27 am i would give the serious edge to those dark elves in any endurance or distance race. The "beasts" they have pulling their rig will not get tired. Hardly seems fair, but then that Elven Paladin just "turns undead" as they pass them (skeletons are slow) and the steeds either veer off course or crumble. Hard to know what is kosher and what is not in a race with fully armed contestants.

Years ago I actually had some chariot racing happen in a campaign I ran, but did not have any minis for it, so I used the board and tokens from the strategy game, Circus Maximus to reflect it. Would love to have the minis like those however.
I started out with CM as the base rule set, but have been slowly trying to add tweaks/variations to reflect some of the stereotypical animosities (dwarves v. elves, etc.) as well as make the combat more important as oppposed to just a plain old race around the track. Plus specific modifiers, etc. based on species of crews, teams, and type of chariot. One idea I’m considering is tailored to a single run around a non-oval course - a one lap death race where combat and maneuver has priority over speed. Ben-Hurmeets Deathrace2000, or something like that.

My old club in CO ran games with a fantasy twist, but used 15mm historical ancient chariots as models. I wanted orcs driving wargs to look like, well, you know, orcs driving wargs, not Babylonians racing ancient Britons.

I have 14 teams done, with another dozen or more in the works (kind of went overboard there, go figure).

Early stages of chariot builds:

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:55 am

zenako wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:27 am i would give the serious edge to those dark elves in any endurance or distance race. The "beasts" they have pulling their rig will not get tired. Hardly seems fair, but then that Elven Paladin just "turns undead" as they pass them (skeletons are slow) and the steeds either veer off course or crumble. Hard to know what is kosher and what is not in a race with fully armed contestants.

Circus Maximus 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) in 15mm
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 pm

Cool!

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:23 pm

It was a fun game back in the day. A typical strategy game from that era with 30 pages of rules. My copy was right on a shelf so I took a couple of shots. (I also wanted to refresh my memory about some of the details.) I note how they angled the track to make it bigger on the fold out map. There is also a special starting grid (the yellow card) for staggered starts for when teams had to stay in their lanes and the outer track has more squares to cover on the first turn.
Attachments
Circus Maximus 01.jpg
Circus Maximus 01.jpg (134.87 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Circus Maximus 02.jpg
Circus Maximus 02.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Circus Maximus 03.jpg
Circus Maximus 03.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Erenor Silvershield
Orc
Orc

Post by Erenor Silvershield » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 pm

So...
Many... colors!!!

pacarat
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by pacarat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:59 am

A few additions to the collective... in anticipation of some KS?? Sci-Fi/undersea/pulp action...

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:51 am

8-) Cool 8-)

I have been brainstorming the skull art project Idea :idea: I have not decided what I will try first.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 am

Very nice work pacrat

That Maximus Circus game looks cool, just make sure your on the inside for the bends.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”