LED Socket Floors and Related Pieces

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: LED Socket Floors and Related Pieces

Post by GODofwar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Spent a lot of years doing my craft overseas. One fails to learn the local language and then its customs at one's peril.

That is a different thing than not judging.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 am

Judging other cultures by your own is not always helpful.

We in UK slip easily into thinking we understand US culture as we have many similarities, so the differences are seen as outliers and 'easily' fixed if we deem them wrong, which shows a lack of understanding of US culture.

One can only judge anything by one's personal values - what other measure makes sense? - but judging another culture's mores by one's own cultures' mores is, at least for a historian, not productive.

I stopped in Germany on the way back from a tour in Egypt and nearly fell into the second trap; Gemany is certainly much closer culturally to the US than Egypt. But in fact it is radically different, and the apparent similarities were more confusing and likely to produce error than otherwise.

I do remember very distinctly watching a German resteranteur wash his sidewalks early in the morning and thinking, "I would rather eat off his sidewalks than the plates in Egyptian restaurants."

Britain, and particularly, England, is a different case. Yes, the similarities can lead to confusion as with Germany; but our cultures are much more closely rooted, and I round I could understand England better for our common history.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
Whilst we don't entirely disagree, but the point of judging by one's personal values tends to be an extension of the culture your brought up in and leads to not taking into account the culture your judging.

Your example of the restaurants is a good one and on face value you could easily say the Egyptian restaurants are dirty, which by yours (and ours) standards would be true, but those restaurants may well be the least dirty in Egypt and meet Egyptian hygiene standards which are not as rigorous as those we are used to because the indigenous population have a stronger constitution than we do and as a country find problems due to less stringent hygiene standards to be acceptable.

We have no idea if any of that is actually true - just used as an example. (and we Lagomorphs don't let actual facts get in the way of yet another rambling post ;))

Anyway don't want to get all deep and philosophical about this and is in now way criticism, just some words of Lagomorphic wisdom handed down from generation to generation to generation to generation to ......

There was a very good 'Star Trek Voyager' Episode that highlighted this (Season 4 Episode 10 'Random Thoughts' if your interested ;)), when visiting an alien planet the female half Klingon is arrested for having violent thoughts, not a big deal you'd think, but it was for a psychic pacifist culture.

Sometimes you need to take into account the Culture your looking at.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm
Several people have recommended opening up malfunctioning socket floors and gluing stuff in better.
Well, that at least implies it can work!

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Several people have recommended opening up malfunctioning socket floors and gluing stuff in better.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: LED Socket Floors -- loose switches

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Pulled out six floors to use last weekend and on two of them, the switches pushed back into the floor when I tried to use them.

Anyone else seen this problem? And can I fix it by unscrewing and getting into the floor innards?

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 am

Judging other cultures by your own is not always helpful.

We in UK slip easily into thinking we understand US culture as we have many similarities, so the differences are seen as outliers and 'easily' fixed if we deem them wrong, which shows a lack of understanding of US culture.

One can only judge anything by one's personal values - what other measure makes sense? - but judging another culture's mores by one's own cultures' mores is, at least for a historian, not productive.

I stopped in Germany on the way back from a tour in Egypt and nearly fell into the second trap; Gemany is certainly much closer culturally to the US than Egypt. But in fact it is radically different, and the apparent similarities were more confusing and likely to produce error than otherwise.

I do remember very distinctly watching a German resteranteur wash his sidewalks early in the morning and thinking, "I would rather eat off his sidewalks than the plates in Egyptian restaurants."

Britain, and particularly, England, is a different case. Yes, the similarities can lead to confusion as with Germany; but our cultures are much more closely rooted, and I round I could understand England better for our common history.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Calsial wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:39 pm
This discussion changed directions quite unexpectedly. From LED Socket Floors to spanking children, only on the internet!
Are you suggesting we should plug children into sockets instead of spanking them?

Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 am

:o k-bear!

In other news: We too find the braziers to be a less snug fit on the floor sockets than any other LED piece that uses them.

But they are pretty robust, we had two drowning in moisture from a fog monster and still kept flickering away. We left those out to dry before packing.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Perhaps this topic need to be changed to-- Socket and Related Pieces ;)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 am
Rabbit spanking is merely foreplay that leads to more rabbits..

Of course almost any rabbit activity leads to more rabbits. They’re just like that!
Someone's been on the Lagomorph dark web .........
Not judging, just getting to know our fellow DooFer nerds :)
dice4hire wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:19 am
Even buying DF? Creepy.
Not creepy at all, you do not realise just how much a DF collection is an aphrodisiac in Lagomorphic circles. Female bunnies just love the heft and that they can play rough without risk of damage........

Though to be fair, as k-nerd points out, pretty much anything can be considered an aphrodisiac to a Lagomorph.