Gorilla Foam? Size? Source?

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Gorilla Foam? Size? Source?

Post by GODofwar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 pm

lostpict wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm
That's a good question. I think the big advantages of blocks are their size (the cover slot of ground quickly), their sturdiness, their light weight, and their uniform size with great dimensional tolerances. These make them an awesome foundation layer for all DF, but especially CBS, Castles, Erinthor, and presumably Dreadhollow Forest that is easy to work with. I looked at foam, Gator board, platform supports, the new DF platform box, and terrain tiles with supports but these all fell short IMHO WRT these cheap foam blocks.

I"m thinking that my plates are best for sub-ground - where any built-up areas have to be 'raised' when the layer above is removed. But above ground I can readily see where the blocks would be great for Erinthor and other terrain building.

Thanks.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm

That's a good question. I think the big advantages of blocks are their size (the cover slot of ground quickly), their sturdiness, their light weight, and their uniform size with great dimensional tolerances. These make them an awesome foundation layer for all DF, but especially CBS, Castles, Erinthor, and presumably Dreadhollow Forest that is easy to work with. I looked at foam, Gator board, platform supports, the new DF platform box, and terrain tiles with supports but these all fell short IMHO WRT these cheap foam blocks.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 pm

lostpict wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am
mc1gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:50 am
Wow. Have you really needed that many?
I put my CBS town and Castle up on blocks so that I can have cellars and sewers and a moat. 100 covers 160 square inches which works well with my layout.
I imagine you've read my system somewhere - I use 2 x 2.5' plywood plates for each level. I can easily do caverns-dungeons-sewers-basements-CBS with Castles etc on terrain (hills) on the mail level, all on one build. Problem for me is I regularly have to have terrain in most of a 5x10' table.

Do you think there could be an advantage to using blocks to do this? I"m flexible and willing to try new stuff.....

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

DON'T NEED NO STEENKING GORILLA FOAM...

Post by GODofwar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 am

zenako wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:25 am
William wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 pm
The Japanese Foam Blocks are 50mm x 100mm x 200mm or
1.31/32" x 3.15/16" x 7.7/8" when converted to inches, so close to 2"x 4" x 8" .
They are better sized for the resin lines and KS-1,KS-2, KS-5 and KS-6 than they are for KS-3 and KS-4. The City and Castles are true 2" sizing (But then nothing is exact). If you are on the West Coast of US, I might take the other quantity you might not want.

Hers are a link to view some in use. Slide down a half dozen or more pictures.
viewtopic.php?p=129791#p129791

Good Luck. ;)
I would think that being a tiny bit undersize would actually be a good thing for a setup, since you can be sure that your actual DF parts will cover the whole block and not have to overhang much at all. If they were perfectly true 2x4x8 inches, then the older sets would have a small gap between stuff on a block and adjoining pieces.
I buy regular pink insulation foam. As zeonako suggests, cut slightly less than 4". If you measure well and have a decently precise foamcutter (I use the Hotwire Foam Factory lathe table) and just cut inside the line, or set the table 1-2mm less than 4" in each cut dimenstion, works fine.

I cut 4x4 and larger, and will probably cut 2x2 at some point.

The foam is a fraction less than 2" tall, but it works. If you are a fanatic, get sheet plastic of JUST the right thickness. I find it doesn't matter.

This is not exactly a Junkyard Dog cut. More precision required. But from a 4x8 sheet you can get 288 4x4 blocks or the equivalent. That's for about $25 - 9 cents a 4x4 block.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

aggothard
Goblin
Goblin

Post by aggothard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Has anyone used both the blocks and the gator foam. They both look great to me but I have not tried either. The blocks look more modular of course.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 am

I would also recommend ordering in groups of at least 25. Shipping starts at 2000 yen (20 bucks more or less) and goes up form there. 50 is a good amount and comes very neatly packed in a box. I just tear off label one and put on label two. The shipping box also makes a very nice storage box, being exactly the right size.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am

mc1gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:50 am
Wow. Have you really needed that many?
I put my CBS town and Castle up on blocks so that I can have cellars and sewers and a moat. 100 covers 160 square inches which works well with my layout.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

mc1gamer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mc1gamer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm

PMing you Harneloot

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Sure, I'd split an order with you.

mc1gamer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mc1gamer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Does anyone have interest in splitting an order? I think would need to get to 50 for it to make decent sense for Dice to make a shipment