AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Consolidated Module Feedback

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm

GriffinMace wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm
Hey!
Is anyone having a problem with the module where the h's in "the" and "there" and "this" aren't appearing (like on page 9)?
Please let me know!
I don't know where else we should look, but all 4 downloads display correctly on page 9 as far as I could see (for me at least).
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 am

wallyjuice wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 am
Okay, guys. I've run Encounters 1-4 with my group so far. Here's some feedback and more questions from me:
This is a group that finds the "you're in a dungeon so go in every room until you clear the level and then move on" type of adventures kind of dull. So, though they love the DOD's roll playing and puzzle opportunities in the rooms, they get easily bored by the mechanics of trap discovery and disarming. They hate the following:
ME: You enter the room. Arched walls columns. You notice scratches on the floor. Blah, blah...
THEM: I search for traps. (Then they roll Insight or Perception).
ME: You find a trap.
THEM: I roll to disarm. (says the Rogue with his Tools).
Etc...
How do I make the traps more interesting to them?
And how am I going to handle the Gauntlet? Is that really a whole series of skill checks, then saves, skill checks, then saves? And will that encounter split up the party as one moves forward as others stay behind? How else do you time out trap discovery and activation/disarming in that particular encounter among multiple PCs?
The real key here is to remove the mechanics from the conversation.

"I search for traps"
"Describe what you are doing and what type of trap you are looking for and then roll a d20"
"As you are passing your hands along the wall you can feel a slight breeze. Not wanting to stick your face in front of the crack you reach for a mirror. Do you have a mirror?"
yes
"It is dark in the crack, but this is definitely not just broken mortar. You believe you can see glints of metal behind the fissure"

etc. etc. etc.

the more game time you "waste" on descriptions the better the role play is. If it is really distracting, have the rogue roll 10 d20's in advance and then you can simply tick them off in order and tell the story (you will have her character sheet so can add perception or disable device as necessary)

haven't run the gauntlet, but perhaps as each trap is disabled a secondary trigger drops something behind the party (to keep them bunched up) - slow moving ooze to put a timer on the encounter? - something to ratchet up fear and make the party appreciate their valiant rogue
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GriffinMace
Kobold
Kobold

Post by GriffinMace » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Hey!
Is anyone having a problem with the module where the h's in "the" and "there" and "this" aren't appearing (like on page 9)?
Please let me know!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:19 am

Nothing says you can't have them getting attacked while the rogue is trying to disarm a couple of the traps. Cracks In the ceiling just big enough for giant spiders to pop out of might work.

You can describe to the other characters who make a spot check of some kind, that as the rogue is concentrating on the floor trap a big hairy spider is lowering itself down toward the rouges neck.
Last edited by kodiakbear on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 am

Yes, the Gauntlet turns into a single rogue fighting skill check after skill check most times I've run parties through it. It is the best option for the party to avoid traps, and eventually the door closes, potentially cutting the rogue off from the rest of the team. It's fun, but it is what it's meant to be, a hallway of traps. You can get past them by disarming, triggering, or finding a way to bypass. Most of the time they occur in that order.

The traps in the Gauntlet should be plenty interesting on their own. If you want to spice it up, give little details. Don't say "you find a flame trap." Say "you find a small copper tube hiding in the wall and feel it is connected to a wide pressure plate on the floor that gives slightly when you rest your hands on it." Don't give them the rulebook answer of what something is unless you have to. Make them sweat wondering what the pipe does. :)
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

wallyjuice
Kobold
Kobold

Post by wallyjuice » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 am

Okay, guys. I've run Encounters 1-4 with my group so far. Here's some feedback and more questions from me:
This is a group that finds the "you're in a dungeon so go in every room until you clear the level and then move on" type of adventures kind of dull. So, though they love the DOD's roll playing and puzzle opportunities in the rooms, they get easily bored by the mechanics of trap discovery and disarming. They hate the following:
ME: You enter the room. Arched walls columns. You notice scratches on the floor. Blah, blah...
THEM: I search for traps. (Then they roll Insight or Perception).
ME: You find a trap.
THEM: I roll to disarm. (says the Rogue with his Tools).
Etc...
How do I make the traps more interesting to them?
And how am I going to handle the Gauntlet? Is that really a whole series of skill checks, then saves, skill checks, then saves? And will that encounter split up the party as one moves forward as others stay behind? How else do you time out trap discovery and activation/disarming in that particular encounter among multiple PCs?

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am

FYI my group started the adventure at level 11-12 and the adventure has proven challenging to them with only a little upscaling on the DCs and damage for traps. I wound up not upscaling the monsters any more than their existing stats in their highest incarnations.

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am

So far I’ve ran my group through 1-12 and they seem to have enjoyed everything so far, and they can be a grouchy/grumbly group. They especially enjoyed the unique magic items with the handouts.

They groused a lot at first about not being able to rest, but once they saw they would be able to use the glyphstones to rest they relaxed more.

They were appropriately horrified by the Acid Bath, Golem Walls, Doomroller, and Lava Bridge encounters, and I think those were my favorites to run as well.

We played 5e, and my group has sort of already accepted the idea that flying is limited and that was a big help with the adventure (I also kind of scared them by implying there were traps targeting flyers). The few times they used flight was only for basic scouting and a few other situations.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm

To be fair Alphastream, I think a certain Bard had an ongoing interest in dying horribly in order to re-roll.

Alphastream
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphastream » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 pm
I also second milestones over XP leveling. The module lists level ranges for each tier. If you can't find good times where it makes sense for the PCs to level, then just break the module into parts for each level. However I will say that encounter 3 is a beast and is very difficult for level 1 characters.
As the primary author (along with Nate), I want to say that we aimed for the entirety of the DoD experience to be tough but conquerable. I had 2 deaths in my home campaign running through it. It is the Dungeon of Doom, so it is tough in places and can be very tough when events play out in certain ways.

BUT, that's just how the words were written. The only "truth" is what the DM and their play group will want to see as the truth. Ramp that challenge level up or down. The easiest guideline when playing at levels above 1 is that you can go up or down a level in the monster chart to achieve your desired challenge level - whatever will be fun. At level 1, I like to remove a monster initially and have it appear and join the fight if I need more. Or, subtract hit points, lower damage when a creature hits half hit points and describe them as losing their bluster, etc. Make the experience what you and your players will enjoy.

And, also writing across 10 levels is very tough. The math of D&D 5E is not perfect when it comes to challenge, and combinations of monsters and the room, plus the crazy habits of our dice, will all create an experience you should feel free to adjust for what is fun for you.
Find my articles on running D&D at Alphastream.org
Find my D&D adventures on the DMs Guild!
On Twitter @Alphastream