Who LOVES the new passage design?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Who LOVES the new passage design?

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 am

i have a bunch of unpainted passage tiles that came in a mixed lot of stuff i picked up... i was planning to paint them one day, but that is a fairly unrealistic vision given how much i have to paint (i mean i'd much rather paint Elye's doors than a boring passage...)

hopefully one day i can trade them for something already painted
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:25 am

Personally, I won't tear my hair out over the merits of either system (good thing, too, as I'm already bald). I'll use either/both as the need arises. This isn't architecture; a lot of how I play is still "theatre-of-the-mind" and not based on rigid-scale construction.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Considering I just finished trimming down the angles on most of my passages to help them fit better and then painted most of them, I'm conflicted about the new design. It is more fiddly, but more flexible. If you need long straight corridors, the old ones are way easier to use. But for complicated layouts these are better. I'll likely get some of these and use both systems.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm

These 4 pieces look like they will be the basis for KS5 advanced passage pieces:
advanced passage pieces KS5.jpg
advanced passage pieces KS5.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Are you talking about the passage walls, with the little bit that slips under the floor? I like that idea a lot. As a non-owner of the older passage style, I might heavily invest in these.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:16 pm

In the near future, I think I will stock up on the Corner Dungeon Passage & T-Shaped Dungeon Passage and cut up their diagonal extrusions with a band saw. I will then resell the 2 Cut Corner Dungeon Passage on eBay... Too bad the Dungeon Passage Pack #3/Assorted is sold out right now.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I love the proposed advanced passage pieces. My meager contribution to this system in KS5 is for it not to have thin plastic layers to hold upright both the outside and inner corner passage walls as these can stand on their own. This approach was similar to what Nicholas proposed a while back (reference: http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewt ... 101#p78491). I only wished that DF had produced "full floor" walls and full "floor corners" to begin with in KS1 (as in the "windmill design") so that the new freestanding outer and inner corner pieces would be even more versatile in doing very intricate builds with fewer pieces.

If ever you're selling Game Tiles passages on the cheap Kitenerd, do tell! I might grab a few. Building a 2" long passage with a single piece instead of 3 (1 floor + 2*2" walls) is still quite useful IMO.
Last edited by biowizard on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 pm

There would be bigger fanfare if we didn't have 100s-1000s invested in the old passages. Don't really want to double up on all that stuff and have no one to sell it too to replace, so.. Yeah.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Who LOVES the new passage design?

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Anybody want to buy my old dungeon passages???

the new design is WAY better - more versatile as you can make a 1 square, 1.5 square or 2 square passage (not to mention true square rooms) - and it stores in WAY less space

I can't even believe there isn't a parade in honor of the new design - trumpets, fanfare, confetti, champagne... these are COOL!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”