Ten
7%
More than ten
10%

Total votes: 71

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: How Many KS5 Sets Do You Plan To Get?

Post by GODofwar » Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:48 am
Sorry, I realized I should have had an option for zero, because when I first posted I kind of assumed that everyone wanted at least one set. Then I thought maybe there should be a zero option so I added it not knowing it would reset all the votes. Please vote again.
GOOD GRIEF!!!

How can anybody have ANY idea how many 'sets' they are going to get when nothing has been put out yet???

Are we all crazier than I thought?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:49 am

I don't think you are going to see anything even under the $149 (unpainted) range that comes with stretch goals, and the only thing under $100 will be some level that just lets you buy add-ons. In KS1 two unpainted set (first level with stretch goals) was $120 and in KS2 $145. I am sure prices have only gone up. I would not be surprised if two unpainted sets with stretch goals in KS5 is in the $160 range.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 am

With DF and other terrain you have a double edged sword, you could make your sets smaller to get under a psychological dollar amount but then people could look at it and psychologically feel that each set is to small to make anything useful.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:11 pm

I would argue with all of the gaming kickstarters out there, a $99 or less pledge entices much more people than anything with 3 digits. Look at CMON, Mantic, etc. Most of their games go for <$100, at least psychologically (you have to maybe add in shipping, add ons, etc.)

I don't know how low DF can go, but I think if you can get a base pledge and get stretch goals for <$100 you will bring in a large crowd. (And yes, I realize even in KS1 to get strech goals you needed at least a $120 pledge, but this was new terrain and a new market at the time, times and tastes have evolved on KS somewhat and price points have been researched it seems.)
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 pm

As an expensive niche product, DF terrain and KS are decidedly *not* aimed at kids. Arguably, this stuff is not even aimed at the casual gamer. This stuff is aimed at the lifelong wargamer/RPGer/model enthusiast who has likely had between 10-40 years to earn their way up to having a reasonable amount of disposable income to throw at this hobby. When I was a kid, I'd be lucky if I had maybe $30-40 at a time to invest in my hobbies. Now, at least, I have the means to throw much more (within reason).
I think that once you reach the $300 pledge mark, potential number of backers falls sharply. Most people are probably looking in the $100-200 range. Anything less is not viable as the profit margin dips even with substantially more backers. If you're not careful and your price point is too low, you could end up losing more money as the number of backers increases.

Darksdale
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Darksdale » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Hard to say, we don't know the the value of the sets, cost savings for more sets and amount of freebies.

Kachina
Kobold
Kobold

How can anyone answer this appropriately???

Post by Kachina » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 am

You want an answer to a question that is HIGHLY variable due to cost. It really depends more on what people can afford and what the base prices for the sets are. For example, if you set the base (entrance) price low, you'll get a lot more investors than if you set it higher. As a general rule, kids don't have a lot of income (typically relying heavily on parents)... Therefore if you set base prices higher you are likely to lose that market. However if you set entrance prices lower, you're likely to see more kids getting involved in it. This creates new customers from a younger age.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm
Getting laid off is never good, bubt this timing is very bad. I hope you can find work soon, or better instantly.

i am planning to go much heavier with base sets and light on add-ons as usually the math of KS add-ons or retail add-ons is pretty much the same. Well, for us in Japan at least. That is unfortunate for KS funds though.
Yea this year is particularly lame I usually use my income tax for DF kickstarters but this year that went to a car and then getting laid off hopefully Ill still be able to get some though I love DF. Thank you for the kind words btw

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:55 am

Okay, so here's some wildly speculative number crunching:

We've got 15 responses for about 3.5 base sets per backer. At roughly $70 per base set, that would be $245 per backer. At 2000 backers, we would be just shy of half a million; at 3000 backers, that's about $730K.

Would need to triple the amount of intake dollars in add-ons (and/or heavily promote painted options), in order to reach that bar of $2M.

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:31 am

If it's anything like past years, I'll start out planning for 2, maybe bump it up to 3...

...and ultimately do 5-10, plus 3x as much in add-ons.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”