Orc
Orc

Re: All pillar design or mixed for KS5?

Post by oddbender » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:52 pm
unclebilly wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:01 pm
I just don't see where they would want to add on KS1 to the KS5. Doing that will add money to up stretch goals. I think there best bet if they want to let people get stuff from KS1,2,3,or 4 would be to allow for it to be added in the pledge manager after the KS has ended letting you add it to your order to lower your shipping and also it would let them know how much they would need to order of each item.
Why would it be a problem if people adding KS1 sets helped reach stretch goals? It should be cheaper to make more KS1 pieces than all new pieces. It should not hurt anything. I would think this would be a good thing. They bring in the money they need and some of the pieces are cheaper to make (no new mold needs to be made). The idea of adding KS1 add-ons would be to entice new backers who don't have KS1. I don't know that waiting for the pledge manager is going to bring in new backers during the KS.

I don't know, maybe the new style will bring in new bakers all on its own and no enticement with KS1 sets is necessary. One thing I think is true is that DF will likely bring back some of the KS1 backers that have not backed since then. I do think KS5 will be successful no matter what. It should be fun to watch while I am working hard to paint my Castle.

I do think this is an interesting survey. It does show that even among the hardcore Dwarven Forge fans there is a desire for more KS1 sets.
Every time I read about this topic I feel a certain frustration. Of course, who wouldn't want to get the "old" stuff at a discount... so let's convince good old Dwarven Forge to throw it onto the new kickstarter and let's all be happy. But there are problems with that. Dwarven Forge ran KS1 to finance the making of KS1 pieces. Everybody who participated then got a great deal, and now DF can sell it in there web store. Looking back it feels like no risk, but don't forget that was their first kickstarter, and no matter how much you believe in DF, there was risk all around.

Now they're up to KS5 and the risk seems far less significant. But reading things here, or watching The Dwarvenaut we know that no matter how skilled or devoted the DF folks may be; it takes a lot of money for them to pull this off every year. When they run KS5 it should be for the new stuff, old stuff just dilutes the goal of raising funds for the latest and greatest.

To summarize my thoughts:
1) If backer's pledges for KS5 are for old pieces, how are they actually raising money to pay for all the new KS5 pieces.
2) Stefan and DF deserves to make a decent profit off what they've already developed, so if they offer it, buy it from the store. Or if you have to through the secondary market.
3) The last few years have seen an amazing output from Stefan and DF, kickstarter makes this possible. It makes new product available much faster than conventional methods, so I hope they continue with it for as long as possible. Selling KS1 pieces in KS5 will reduce the amount of new stuff delivered.
4) And, finally, the kickstarter is an event just by itself. The posts, the camaraderie, and the reveals. Seeing "old" stuff would be a wet blanket, in my opinion.

Having said all that if DF wants to offer "old" stuff for a discount, great, that's their choice. But I don't believe that's what the kickstarter should be for. And personally, I would not sacrifice new add-ons for old pieces that we can already obtain through some other channel.
Last edited by oddbender on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:52 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:01 pm
I just don't see where they would want to add on KS1 to the KS5. Doing that will add money to up stretch goals. I think there best bet if they want to let people get stuff from KS1,2,3,or 4 would be to allow for it to be added in the pledge manager after the KS has ended letting you add it to your order to lower your shipping and also it would let them know how much they would need to order of each item.
Why would it be a problem if people adding KS1 sets helped reach stretch goals? It should be cheaper to make more KS1 pieces than all new pieces. It should not hurt anything. I would think this would be a good thing. They bring in the money they need and some of the pieces are cheaper to make (no new mold needs to be made). The idea of adding KS1 add-ons would be to entice new backers who don't have KS1. I don't know that waiting for the pledge manager is going to bring in new backers during the KS.

I don't know, maybe the new style will bring in new bakers all on its own and no enticement with KS1 sets is necessary. One thing I think is true is that DF will likely bring back some of the KS1 backers that have not backed since then. I do think KS5 will be successful no matter what. It should be fun to watch while I am working hard to paint my Castle.

I do think this is an interesting survey. It does show that even among the hardcore Dwarven Forge fans there is a desire for more KS1 sets.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:01 pm

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

If it can make financial sense for DF to offer a KS1 add-on in KS5 I hope they do it.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 am

I agree that people who only want the new design should not be forced to buy the older style. That would not be fair. There are people who bought 10 and 20 sets of KS1. I am 100% sure that Dwarven Forge will not do that. If KS1 is offered it will be an add-on and I think even that is unlikely.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:40 am
I have seven sets of KS1 tiles, I do not want to be forced to buy more KS1 tiles in KS5.
I agree 100% I have over 20 sets of KS1 I don't need anymore of the ones that look like that.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:31 pm

The hard part about this question is I don't think KS1 ties should be part of the KS5 main set but I do think they should be an optional buy for a reduced KS price. I would love to see a two dungeon set of KS1 pieces with all the original stretch goals for about the same price as KS1 (I know it needs to be a little more expensive). Seems like a win win to me. I would get a set or two. If feasible even a KS1 set of 5 for those who want to get caught up faster.

I could be wrong but I just think this would make KS5 much more attractive to new customers.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 pm

I agree. Now is the perfect time.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:45 am

One thing to notice (all be it a very small sample size) is that the only 2 voters that don't already have KS1 dungeons would like them to go with the new stuff and 8 of us that do have KS1 would like more KS1 rather than just the new pillar set. That is coming from us super fans.

I think if anything DF should offer an option to pick up some KS1 style dungeons. I worry that this new set is not going to bring in the new backers that DF is hoping for unless the new backers have some way to get basic dungeon pieces to mix in with the new design. I don't know how attractive these pillar walls are to people who have no Dwarven Forge dungeons. I can only go by myself. I was brought into DF by KS1 (I had a different e-mail at the time so the badge does not show) and this new look alone would not have brought me in. I would not have wanted all my dungeons to look like this. In conjunction with KS1 it is not bad as it adds diversity, but alone I don't know how well it works for people.

I am just saying that if the goal, as has been stated, is to bring in new backers there needs to be some way in the KS to get plain KS1 dungeons. Maybe a separate monster add-on. I only have 5 sets of KS1 and I wish I had gotten 10 sets, so I would pick up some KS1 stuff if it becomes available. Or they could advertise as special on KS1 in the DF store (it is just not that good of a deal and shipping is not cheep).

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:33 am

I really think KSIII would have worked a lot better as "base sets" ala KSI and KSII but people choose tudor or stone in the pledge manager. I was definitely not a fan of the forced mix of tudor and stone.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”