Any chance this KS will let us get some KS 1 basic tiles?

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Any chance this KS will let us get some KS 1 basic tiles?

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Somewhere before all the beans started getting spilled (maybe FB) I want to say Stefan mentioned this KS would be to add to and go along with KS1 and thats there may be some of the original KS1 offered for people who missed out on it. Again its been about a month or so since I saw that and wish I could remember where or if it is completely correct. BTW HEEEEY its good to be back on the forums.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I wouldn't mind some KS1 tiles, because I've cut quite a few of mine into smaller pieces so I can make oddball shapes if I want to. ;)
IM-1crop.jpg
IM-1crop.jpg (150.78 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
IM-2crop.jpg
IM-2crop.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
IM-3crop.jpg
IM-3crop.jpg (102.51 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
Pieces to make the layout above.
A lot of them a custom cut pieces.
IM-4crop.jpg
IM-4crop.jpg (137.76 KiB) Viewed 4072 times

I would love a KS1 Master Builder add-on. :geek:

Even if they did a KS1 add-on (w/old molds) and it had the typical free KS shipping on the same set configurations as in the store, it would still be a bit of a deal. Sometime it's the shipping cost that can make or break a purchase.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:26 am

Assuming we have the basic floor, wall and corner in KSV, I certainly agree we do not need more KSI tiles. KSI was great when it was made, but Stefan and Co can do a lot better now. They now know how much detail is possible in dwarvenite, though I imagine they will still push that envelope.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:49 am

I think the idea of KS5 is that they are doing a new dungeon. If you have seen the pics of KS5 you can imagine what it will look like. It will be very similar to KS1 but with columns and arches. I don't think DF thinks KS1 tiles are necessary because they are doing a slightly more decorative version of KS1 already.

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:31 am

As I barely own any KS1 stuff, I really hope this KS will be newbie-friendly and will have a good deal on basic tiles like KS1. If I can get 3 sets plus SG for ~250$ that will be awesome.
I don't think it needs to be the same style/paint/finish like KS1, but should have the affordability of that KS.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 am

bernyleung wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 am
Personally, I think it would make great sense to have the basic KS1 tiles available as an add-on, at a *slightly* reduced price. Those who want them right away can buy direct from store. Those who don't mind waiting until KS5 fulfills will wait a year, and DF knows exactly how many they need to manufacture.
I don't think they even need to discount them, just offer combined shipping with the KS order. Only logistical hurdle there is international, which I'm sure they can figure out. The volume of product should make up for the costs of shipping.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 am

Personally, I think it would make great sense to have the basic KS1 tiles available as an add-on, at a *slightly* reduced price. Those who want them right away can buy direct from store. Those who don't mind waiting until KS5 fulfills will wait a year, and DF knows exactly how many they need to manufacture.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 am

I would venture to guess that the reason has to do with the cost of creating new steel molds for KS5. A minimum number of pieces is required to figure out the base cost of a piece... in fact, I think I've gone through all this before in another thread. Anyways, the point is that if a decision was made to include the option to buy KS1 pieces, then it'd make the most sense to include that post-KS in the pledge manager. I have no inside information on any of this and am speculating as a backer, like everyone else.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 am

There's a limited life to steel molds casting resin by hand?

How can DF restock KS1 Dwarvenite dungeon sets if the molds wore out?

Edit: A quick Internet search leads me to believe that steel molds should last anywhere from 500,000 to 2,000,000 castings. Multiply the number of backers in KS1 by the average number of sets pledged, then again by the highest number of repeat pieces in a set. Now compare the result to 500K.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 pm

jackattack wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:39 pm
The major costs for producing KS 1-4 anything are already covered. The only bar to including items from previous KSes is order minimums.
i brought up that point a KS or two back and apparently there is limited life to a mold, hence if they were to make KS1 tiles they would need to make new molds. thus there is no savings to remaking older items. it would be better for everyone if they make a slightly different floor pattern from KS1 but that complimented KS1 well. and that is what they seem to be doing with KS5. even if they did remake it i would imagine they would make some changes, like using less plastic as they did with KS2 floors.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”