Known Issues

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Known Issues

Post by Stormfury » Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 am

This post isn't a gripe thread but rather a place for us to post known issues to consolidate items for DF to respond regarding design choice, replacements, etc. As requested by Stefan here.

Please keep posts only to issues with supporting links/images.

3/4 Tower Floor (aka Pacman piece)
Issue: The cutout is not square causing gaps when placing towers on castle corners.
Reporting Post: Courtesy iPaint

Stone Bridge Ramp
Issue: Big metal plate
Reporting Post: Courtesy kitenerd

Tower Floors/Battlements
Issue: Tower Floors and Battlements do not match up color wise.
Reporting Post: Courtesy AnimeSensei
Comment: While some difference between different KS can be expected, I don't think any of us expected it within the same KS, let alone the same set. While I don't expect replacement pieces for this issue, perhaps we can get a list of paint colors to fix the differences and perhaps small paint bottles as most of us only need to paint a handful of these and wouldn't need giant paint bottles.

I'm sure there are other items, so please follow my lead and reply to this thread. I hope this helps out DF to have a centralized place to respond to each item.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Known Issues

Post by Law » Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks! This is helpful for fans and for DF.

I'd add one - to be clear, don't think there's anything to be done about this, but it is something DF should be aware of as they plan future campaigns:

The battlements are a little long, two battlements next to each other extend past a wall by a bit. Cumulative impact means meaningful gaps at the end of long walls.

Can't remember who pointed this out.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 am

I've had some magnets fall out. Luckily I've found them all, but as a parent of a small kid it's quite disconcerting.

The mangonel has the wrong paint colors; DF is shipping the wrongly painted ones out but said they will be sending out replacements.

The castle floors 4x4 and larger are all gorgonite but the Erinthor Mountains floors 4x4 and larger are dwarvenite. Not really an issue, but something interesting.

Also the Dwarvenite colors are different and vary by piece.
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
101 Resin and 269 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am

Oy, I really am disappointed to hear that. Magnet issues with Ks3 were such a frustration for me I rarely use the magnet pieces. Not worth the headache.

Felt reassured that before an entire system was designed around magnets that the design and implementation of them would be reworked from the ground up. This isn't just "use roofs but not gables, skip signs and chimneys." This is a foundational issue. It's extremely worrisome to me to hear the magnets are still a problem.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 am

Also - some people are having trouble with suspended parapets. Posted by fstkfstk (can't figure out how to link to that thread)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 am

I did not order any of these.I won't be able to confirm my theory of what is wrong or what to do about it.

Theory
I think is is a thermoplastic issue. The tile deformed during the chilling process.The only way to confirm this is with compass and a square.Are all of the tiles like this? If so the solution is to make them from the new plastic/PVC formula.
I think the open space causes the material to cool unevenly and rack and warp. IT will be a pain to fix. However, if this is a problem with only a few tiles the solution is to repair or replace.

To repair
I would suggest you create a jig with a square piece of plywood cut to the appropriate size. Attach the part to a flat surface. When you heat the tile in boiling water quickly push it against the square until it is back in aliment. You will need at least 3 hands.Then chill the plastic with it pressed against the jig.You may also have to have a jig to keep it round. Good luck with it.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 am

Law wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 am Oy, I really am disappointed to hear that. Magnet issues with Ks3 were such a frustration for me I rarely use the magnet pieces. Not worth the headache.

Felt reassured that before an entire system was designed around magnets that the design and implementation of them would be reworked from the ground up. This isn't just "use roofs but not gables, skip signs and chimneys." This is a foundational issue. It's extremely worrisome to me to hear the magnets are still a problem.
Think about it for a moment. Magnets are going to be a problem that will only get worse.Magnets will rust,fall out get lost. They are going to lose their strength.How long or when is going to depend on how they were manufactured.They will lose their strength. That has not even started yet.

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

Two issues I haven't seen fully discussed / documented, but have personally observed (and can upload photos later if needed):
  1. Large (6") tower wall tabs interfere with interior stair placement. This is briefly shown/mentioned in Stefan's build video (he fiddles a bit to push everything together, basically flush but gaps are still visible). I don't think that there is a fix for this other than maybe putting a notch in the stairs (?) like the floor extenders have in them.
  2. 4x4 mountain floors have a variable amount of warpage. I have a few that are almost perfectly flat, a few more that have minor warpage (slight wobble on a flat surface), and one or two that you can seesaw back and forth with either corner popping up off the table. It was suggested that placing them under something heavy for a few days might fix the problem, but I haven't tested it yet.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue May 23, 2017 11:30 am

warpage
Again the solution is hot water and re chill.
Don't clamp them too tightly or you will cause new problems.

I do not have any more to flatten or I would make photos.

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am

Oldent wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:30 am warpage
Again the solution is hot water and re chill.
Don't clamp them too tightly or you will cause new problems.

I do not have any more to flatten or I would make photos.
Is that safe for painted? I only have painted pieces.

Return to “Post-Campaign Topics”