Mountains Question about making height

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Mountains Question about making height

Post by zenako » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 am

Erenor Silvershield wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:02 am I would recommend a darker or gray foam block, especially if you’re doing mountains. I’ve just started playing with elevation myself (I never had the quantity to achieve builds like you’ve seen above before) but some of the sculpts don’t fit perfectly on the sides due to their organic feel and I personally don’t like white or light colored wood showing through. But a little gray or black in the cracks and you’ve got yourself a little natural nook or crevice in the stone, right?! This may just pertain to our advanced builders who like to do a lot of close up photo work, but I’m a bit neurotic too and I prefer colors matching as best they can. :lol:
I agree with this, but finding the right sized dark colored blocks domestically was challenging, so I settled for some inexpensive white ones on Amazon. Dice4Hire has been able to get some dark colored ones from a local place in Japan and has helped a number of folks with getting them. On a number of the tiers I actually had some TT under them for support and those hid any white cracks nicely.

Droooo
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Droooo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am

One good option is a 3D printer - you could print custom sizes you want in any color, generally up to 8x8x8". You could also handle the size differences for both indoor (50mm) and outdoor (50.8mm) schemes.

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm

Droooo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am One good option is a 3D printer - you could print custom sizes you want in any color, generally up to 8x8x8". You could also handle the size differences for both indoor (50mm) and outdoor (50.8mm) schemes.
Oh, that's a great idea for when I get my 3D printer back online! It sounds easy enough to do in SCAD (flat surface a few mm thick plus 5 legs for support [corners & middle]). Or, have you seen one already pre-made that would work for this?

Hmmmm, as I think about it, I think the legs should be separate and use a peg system. That way I could make a bunch of plates, plus legs of various heights for more variety. Also, easier to store that way. Essentially just CBS floors (or Erinthor floors) and columns just homemade.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:41 pm

2'X2'X1" Pink foam is available at the Home Depot. I am suggesting it because it will fit in a car.
It can easily be cut with a razor and a straight edge. A qt. of black latex paint will last for years.

You can use the foam as stackers or back drop. Note the magnets in the two inch block.

Wood screws make good attachments for magnets.

Special effects are possible.

DM Craft #143 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Shc7h5XPZk

The most important thing is don't use the expensive solutions for things you won't see.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Droooo
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Droooo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:43 pm

GardenDM wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:16 pm Oh, that's a great idea for when I get my 3D printer back online! It sounds easy enough to do in SCAD (flat surface a few mm thick plus 5 legs for support [corners & middle]). Or, have you seen one already pre-made that would work for this?

Hmmmm, as I think about it, I think the legs should be separate and use a peg system. That way I could make a bunch of plates, plus legs of various heights for more variety. Also, easier to store that way. Essentially just CBS floors (or Erinthor floors) and columns just homemade.
Interesting idea - I was just thinking about plain big blocks like the foam comes. Although now that you mention it that's a good idea, and I have done a couple things with 3D printed bolts before. Maybe I will throw something together and throw it up on Thingiverse - I'm not sure at what point it would be bad to share it here though, I wouldn't want to make something that is essentially a replacement to DF's mountain floor/stilt setup and then share it on their own forum.

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Yeah, totally fair point. And to clarify, I have tons of the DF stilt system parts (plus CBS floor/columns, Elevation Box, columns, cavern risers, terrain trays, etc.), but sometimes feels wasteful putting those on the inside of an elevation build.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 am

The blocks I sell are a great building resource, but I cannot ship them to North America at the moment. Europe and Asia are ok.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:30 am

We sourced our own foam blocks from a local manufacturer, with mixed success, the foam is not quite rigid enough for a lot of heavy dwarvenite compressing them, our bad for selecting the wrong grade of foam.

But in reality we don't use them at all, for height we use mountain and castle floors with CBS pegs and TTs with stilts and also Elevation Platforms, these cover our elevation needs
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 am

When we were building step wells, I used the traditional method of turning resin passage tiles upside down and stacking them. This is time consuming and requires a lot of blocks. The pegs and 8X8s really can not support much weight. The magnetic 1X1 stilts and metal trays can support more weight. They still take lots of planning. If you have enough they are great.

3D printing is cool. If you have one and the time.

A razor and a straight edge are basic tools. Custom insulation foam blocks are straight forward. Don't use expensive time consuming solutions for things you can not see.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:38 pm

dice4hire wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 am The blocks I sell are a great building resource, but I cannot ship them to North America at the moment. Europe and Asia are ok.
Enough praise cannot be heaped on those blocks. They are awesome!
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Return to “Kickstarter 4 Discussion”