Why do so few miniature painters use oil paints?

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Why do so few miniature painters use oil paints?

Post by MrMorden » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:45 am

You have to use solvents (white spirits), it's really tough on brushes, and drying times of 1-3 days are the main reasons. The dry time can be an advantage because you can blend the paints essentially as much as you want, leading to super smooth color transitions. Oil washes are nice because they follow recesses better than acrylics and you can wipe the paint away from the raised areas, which ups contrast.

Some painters do make use of oils in some situations. But they are a PITA to use compared to acrylics.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:12 am

Model painters sometimes use them over a seal coat for acrylic to create greater realism and depth for wood, marble, or other surfaces that would have such depth. The dry times are pretty bad though, even if the results are pretty impressive.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 am

Also finding those old Humbrol paints is not as easy as it once was. (Although the internet makes that almost a non-issue)

Drying time
Gloss: 1-2 hours
Matt & Satin: 20-40 mins touch dry, up to 24 hours for hard dry
Metallics: hard dry in approx. 10 days. Drying times will vary according to ambient temperature and humidity. Recoat: 6 hours minimum (preferably overnight)

Compare that to acrylics which can be dry within minutes, and easy to handle. I know I used to have to wait a long time to avoid running colors into each other in days gone by. (I still have a bunch of old paints, but have not been tempting to get them back in use for any of my current painting tasks.) Also I am not sure how well some of those might play with Bones and other plastics. I had only used them on the old metal (lead) miniatures that were common in the 70's and 80's.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:26 am

Drying time
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Ffeect

Why do so few miniature painters use oil paints?

Post by Ffeect » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am

I've always been curious why this is the case, given so many fine art painters describe oil paints as delivering far more vibrant colors than acrylics.
Could it be the lack of convenience given they can't be thinned with water, or the longer drying times?

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”