Green Dwarvenite Water Tiles - primer?

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Green Dwarvenite Water Tiles - primer?

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:40 pm

When the cavern water tiles were recently restocked, I grabbed two sets since we will probably not get any more to fill out that line. The decision to change the color to green is baffling, since they need to be painted to match the Deepwater Green anyway, but now you can't get away with dry-brushing the shore-line of the tiles like you could when they were gray. They need to be primed so the cracks are dark gray rather than green. So I bought a gray that looks close to the dungeon gray color, Rustoleum Sandable Primer Gray.

So the tiles got here, and they are darker than I expected (still don't match the Deepwater Green close enough to my eye). I used the primer on one tile as a test, and it is very close to the original dwarvenite gray but it goes on pretty thick. (Thicker than I expected; I use Duplicolor Sandable Black on my minis and it goes on thin.)

Anyway, I am just wondering for those out there who have gotten the new green water tiles and painted your own to try and match your previous batch, as I am (from KS2):

1. Did you prime them before hand? What did you use for primer, and were you happy with it?

2. Or did you just dry-brush the shoreline as it is, since it is pretty dark anyway? Does it match up closely with your older gray dwarvenite drybrushed shoreline?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Last edited by Mister Frau Blucher on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Green Dwarvenite Water Tiles - primer?

Post by dice4hire » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 pm

I would live to help, but I guess I got mine too long ago. As I remember mine were grey except for the open water tiles, which work perfectly unpainted.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:06 am

dice4hire wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:48 pm I would live to help, but I guess I got mine too long ago. As I remember mine were grey except for the open water tiles, which work perfectly unpainted.
Thanks, dice. Your reply made me edit my post, as I had not specified that I had the older gray tiles that I got from KS2, and I am trying to match those. To my eye, the green dwarvenite doesn't match the Deepwater Green Pokorny exactly. Maybe I am too picky? But repainting the open water tiles is not a big deal.

I guess what I hope to hear is if someone simply dry-brushed their green shore tiles rather than priming them, and how they looked beside the original grey tiles treated the same way. I can go ahead and prime them, but if I can skip that step and they still look the same, I will be happier.

Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:37 pm

I went ahead and primed the green cavern river tiles using Rustoleum Gray Sandable Primer; I had gotten this spray can a couple of years ago. The weird thing is, the only gray sandable primer listed on Rustoleum's website looks to be a bit lighter than what I got. Maybe I got dark gray and they discontinued it?

It does not match the dungeon gray that the current KS 6 tiles are cast in, as you can see below. The current stuff, at least under Flouro lights, looks kinda greenish. Not sure this is the same as the KS 2 color.

At any rate, I think dry-brushing the shore over this color will match up a lot closer to the original river tiles than the current green dwarvenite they are cast in.
Attachments
sideside.jpg
sideside.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 3707 times

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:19 pm

I do not have any to try and match. My theory is to try and match the base color by mixing the paint on a pallet. Some one said that the base color is a mix of The dwarven Forge paints. I can not hear well enough to listen to the streams my self. I tried an got close. Painting over primmer will complicate the process.

Do not think you are picky you need to please yourself. :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Mister Frau Blucher
Orc
Orc

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 am

Thanks, Oldent!

Posting two more pictures for the sake of completeness. The first is an open water piece in the green dwarvenite beside a piece that has been painted with DF's Deepwater Green. The second is the same green dwarvenite piece beside a caverns deep unpainted piece. I may have been able to get by without priming...

Hopefully this thread will help someone wondering about the green dwavenite!
greensideside.jpg
greensideside.jpg (85.69 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
greenwithcd.jpg
greenwithcd.jpg (86.92 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”