More Ice Transparent Caverns

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Yacker
Goblin
Goblin

More Ice Transparent Caverns

Post by Yacker » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Anyone wish Df would dig into an add-on small biodome of the transparent ice caverns?

I have only one set within my collection but man I would love some bigger or passages pieces for these sets to keep building? They look sweet with the ice tray also.

Anyone else feel this or has everyone moved on to the Caverns Deep ice Caverns? :(

Was it the cost to make these or the client buy in that killed it?

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Re: More Ice Transparent Caverns

Post by SwissArmyMage » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:14 pm

I keep looking at the old clear ice caverns with interest, but I'm put off by the lower selection of pieces.

I currently don't have anything in an ice cave scheme, but if more pieces were available in clear I would look at getting a sizable collection for ice caves. They would probably play well with the crystal cavern ice theme that was being tossed around too.

The biggest issue for me is lack of selection, I don't believe that mixing and matching CD ice theme with clear dwarvenite will work out and it may end up being too busy.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 am

To me the KS2 clear pieces are standalone stuff. They might be able to work with other pieces especially ice paints but probably they would be best for a hollowed out cave of pure ice rather than snow and ice covered rock. Certainly a paint job could strongly affect this.

For building the KS2 pieces jut have too few floors to do much more than one cavern build with them. Some variation is possible, but not a lot.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Yacker
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Yacker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:43 pm

Exactly and that's why I would love if they explored these with an add-on with larger pieces such as Curved Passages, maybe some elevation blocks, stairs or even chasms done in the transparent.

I have given mine a nice white drybrush in areas and painted the water areas a cool blue and I really do love the set for what it is. But it would be great if they would explore it a bit more. Maybe even replicate some of the Caverns Deep models in this way for a small expansion.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:27 pm

For those who weren't around...

This was an idea floated during KS2 - post KS and pre Pledge Manager DF looked into it and decided to give it a shot... It was really nothing more than a "lets try to cast some pieces in clear" shot in the dark... It was never intended or planned or sculpted intentionally to be ice. Backers asked and DF tried it out.

I love the pieces (still need to paint mine) - they are fun but definitely very limited.

If Df were ever to revisit this - i suspect they would do it properly and sculpt ice caverns from the start. More along the order of KS6 Ice Walls as opposed to the ice repaints. Still i am thankful they made these - they opened the door for so many products to follow. Back then DF was still learning... both the limits of dwarvenite and their relationship with the factory. It was hard to imagine back then how far that partnership would come and what they would be capable of.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Yacker
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Yacker » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Which makes sense as I was still into resin at this time and learn after (think it was DOD) that I came onboard again and start to convert everything I owned to dwarvenite (reason of kids/durability and price for unpainted).

But yes that would be cool with new ice sculpts. At least I know I am not alone. :)

Return to “Kickstarter Updates”