Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Stephen Colbert's D&D Adventure

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:08 pm
Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 pm
So much fun to watch this! I always liked Colbert, but this made me like him even more! He was sooo into it!!! :)

@zenako: Thanks! I just started watching his DM tips on youtube, its super helpful. Especially for me just starting out with this! Great person to model and learn from. :)
You should watch Critical Role. I would start with season 2 then watch season 1 once your caught up on season 2 to give yourself something to watch between episodes. Critical Role is the only online game show I can sit there and watch. Due to the great actors and the fact that it is more like watching a story then just watching people play a game.
I agree. Critical Role is good fun. Much much better than watching video of actual games. That can get tedious. D&D is much better in person as so much of the game is the personal interaction between players. That gets lost sometimes watching on video.

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Fri May 24, 2019 8:11 pm

I’m working my way up through Season 1, which is awesome, but I despair catching up to the live show.... I’m up to S1 episode 51.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Fri May 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 pm
So much fun to watch this! I always liked Colbert, but this made me like him even more! He was sooo into it!!! :)

@zenako: Thanks! I just started watching his DM tips on youtube, its super helpful. Especially for me just starting out with this! Great person to model and learn from. :)
You should watch Critical Role. I would start with season 2 then watch season 1 once your caught up on season 2 to give yourself something to watch between episodes. Critical Role is the only online game show I can sit there and watch. Due to the great actors and the fact that it is more like watching a story then just watching people play a game.

Weltenlaeufer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Weltenlaeufer » Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

I was so excited to see this matchup! I was struck by how seriously Colbert took the adventure. I thought he might joke around more and try some silliness, voices, etc. but it was like looking at 13 year old Colbert, completely immersed and deadly focused on survival... This was awesome. Hopefully we will see more of Colbert supporting and enjoying this hobby!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri May 24, 2019 10:36 am

Matt Mercer was the DM and he has been the DM for the very popular twitch channel - Critical Role. Their game was so popular, that they actually formed their own company and are pretty much "professional D&D players" who also happen to be well known voice actors. Their recent KS to animate a small portion of their first campaign went crazy and ended up raising over 11 Million, and instead of a one shot animation they will be producing a series.

Just don't try to compare yourself to Matt. When it comes to voices, he is unmatched, and he has a wonderful way of going with the flow when the characters break the mold and do something completely unexpected.
Last edited by zenako on Fri May 24, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weltenlaeufer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Weltenlaeufer » Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

Ha! I love this! Thanks for sharing!!

The joy on Stephens face is priceless!!

Super inspiring to me, I just started with dnd and this DM really inspires. :)

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Stephen Colbert's D&D Adventure

Post by unclebilly » Thu May 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Stephen Colbert's D&D Adventure with Matthew Mercer (Red Nose Day 2019)

You can just see the joy on his face as he plays. The game is bringing so many memories back to him. People forget how much they loved them game until they play it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3658C2y4LlA&t=1236s

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”