Citadel Woods Painting Project

astolat
Orc
Orc

Re: Citadel Woods Painting Project

Post by astolat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

William wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 am
Thought I should add this here too, was on the original post.

Here is a link to the picture album on the subject. Oops. :oops:
https://imgur.com/a/V7QOYrS
Ohh, I love the idea of that nest! I have painted up one box of mine and the rest have been languishing because it was just enough of a pain to do all those fiddly little leaf bits that I couldn't get motivated once I'd ordered Dreadhollow, but now you have reinspired me. :D

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:29 am

Very useful discussion.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 am

Thought I should add this here too, was on the original post.

Here is a link to the picture album on the subject. Oops. :oops:
https://imgur.com/a/V7QOYrS
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:50 am

I still have a few boxes of these I need to get around to painting.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:00 am

First off is the description of how I did these, then I'll try to link in some pictures. I hope soon, but will be off to mothers for a few weeks in a few. So I thought at least the colors are listed here. I did try to use Stefan's paint when and where possible, but I didn't want to mix the leaf colors, so I went off brand there for the highlights. The tree trunks were an experiment during the whole project, sorry I couldn't really spell that out.

I was hoping to get this done in one giant multi-picture post with each one dropped in the correct place, but unsure the pictures would have worked well. Now, I plan to do some pictures in a few new posts then add links to the post above. Sorry about the break-up, :lol: it was sad for me too. :P

:?: Question - If you think the description and the previously posted pictures are good enough, please let me know and then I won't worry about the pictures so much. Maybe ask about certain things and then I can answer with a picture too.

Game Works - Citadel Wood - Painting Project

I had seen these trees for many years and looked for something pre-made that was close, but never found a good replacement. I purchased a set and it sat on a shelf in the box for a while. I thought three trees wouldn't be enough, so I purchased another off eBay and now had two sets which would create six trees. I thought a group of six would make a nice small patch, so I started putting them together. After removing all the trunks and branches from the sprues I wanted to do something right away, so I painted the leaf cluster a dark green (Pokorny, Deep Water Green) and was pleased for the day. A few days later I noticed a KS from Cool Mini or Not - A Song of Ice and Fire that had some interesting trees in the add-ons. I thought that I could mix and match the foliage/branches and get a larger singular forest, so I put the whole project on hold until the KS shipped. I would regret this decision later when the KS trees were delivered. They were quite a bit different and already assembled, which made my plan useless. Scratch that idea. ;)

Once I started the project again I had the idea to make the two sets of three, different from one another. I essentially crafted/shaped one set (set one) as shown on the box cover and then chopped and modded the other set (set two) a fair amount, so when placed near each other they wouldn't stand out too much as "these two are the same tree, ..." I wanted a larger/taller tree and one stretched out as if wind blown at the top of a cliff or mountain peak. The addition of the nest was a later idea, if I would have done it correct from the start it would have been removable.

Anyway, the largest mod was chopping off one of the large branches and adding it to another tree to add height. To pick which branch to cut and where to add it, I thought about the set of trees base/trunks available ... only three ... there is One that has ropes hanging around trunk and off two branches, ... One that has a distinctive double curve of the upper large branches and the last one which has a basic, no frill, look.

I decided to remove the ropes off the one tree with them and then just fill different holes with smaller branches than the like (set one) tree. Then I thought the one with the double curve needed a big change, so that would be the tree trunk base I would use. To help me pick which branch, I already knew I wanted these two to look very different, one tall and one stretched out. I cut out the middle branch and added to other tree on a skew (if you own a set you know what I'm talking about. For some reason the base/trunks and branches are laid out in one plane. I guess for laying flatter in the package). I ended up with something close to what I wanted. I also wanted to have these (set two) trees to have some off skew branches which I found out is easier said than done. I couldn't bend this hard plastic with hot tap water so I used a candle and decided to only bend a few of the branches. In the end I was happy with the mixture of shapes and sizes.

Now that the tree shapes were set (not glued yet), I wanted to make sure the odd tree that has the growth mostly on one side didn't tip over. My thought was to put some metal of some kind in the trunk and base of that one tree, but once it was done and glued together, I really liked how solid and heavy it felt (the difference between a metal mini and a plastic one), so I did all the tree trunks and bases with whatever I could fit in them. It used up all the extra mini sprue material I had, plus some small nails and brads. I even tossed a few washers and nuts into the last trunks. I made sure all the little pieces were glued in firm before joining the trunk halves together. If you do this, make sure you don't fill the tree trunk sides too full. If you do you'll be hard pressed to fit the halves together. Just be careful, filling the bases are much easier to control.

Once the trunks were all filled, glued and set I attached all the smaller branches as I wanted to give each tree a slightly different look. Depending on what look you are going after, I would guess there is an infinite amount of ways you could fashion the branches and leaf clusters.

Next I moved over to the leaf clusters (still on the sprue frames), to get some paint on them. I thought it would be easier if I just painted them then removed the clusters, to touch up after the trees were together. I used Pokorny Deep Water Green as a base coat and covered both sides fully. Once that was well dried I tried a Pokorny Shallow Water Seaweed Green drybrush over the top leaves to see what it looked like. It didn't have the contrast I was after so I moved to Pokorny Moss Green and did a medium to light drybrush over all leaves on both sides. They looked O.K. at this point, but I really wasn't sure, so I moved to a new part and painted the exposed branches on those leaf clusters with Pokorny Base Wood then hit them with a highlight of Pokorny Stucco. Stepping back and looking at the clusters was still a little disappointing, so I took the next step I really wanted to avoid. To paint each raised leaf like the box shows.

I was also not happy with the Moss Green, it's a chalky look and wasn't quite the right color. I had to do some reevaluating of leaf color and what would be easiest to reproduce if I wanted to do more like this in the future. I ended up using non-Pokorny paints to refine the leaf colors and was happy I did in the end. I used Americana craft paint by DecoArt, color Hauser Light Green for all the raised leaves (top and bottom) then mixed in a few leaves per cluster with Americana craft paint by DecoArt, color Celery Green (again top and bottom). Once they were finished I fell in love and gave them a quick light spray on satin varnish and headed back over to the trunks.
Now that all the tree trunks and branches were glued and set (actual time was probably 3 weeks to a month) (hey, I'm slow) I wanted to smooth the underside of the trunks where I put the metal pieces in, so I mixed some Apoxie Sculpt and covered any exposed metal and made the base innards smooth (I'm a little picky) and sealed from moisture (good idea). Anyway, I'll go into the "trunk colors", but it might not help, because there were quite a few steps, colors, washes, dry-brushings,... until I was even close to happy. I probably couldn't recall at what stage anything got done, because so many steps were 're-done' because I wasn't happy. All in all, they are a mix of many colors and painting styles and there is now way I could repeat it 'exactly' ever again, but we all could get close with trail and error.

The trunks and branches were a mix of Pokorny Base Wood, Stucco, Cardboard, Cavern and Stone Edge Dry Brush - And Privateer Press Formula P3, Bloodsucker Brown, Beast Hide and Umbral Umber - And The Army Painter Warpaints Hemp Rope, Oak Brown, Werewolf Brown, Monster Brown, Leather Brown, Banshee Brown and Skeleton Bone - And some Army Painter Washes, Soft, Strong, Dark, Military and Green. I think I even used Secret Weapon Parchment and Concrete washes too. (got to say, not real pleased with the Secret Weapon washes, the bottle spews every time I open it) I probably missed and miss-stated some of those, but I really cant remember. Just remember to go darker in the inset areas and lighter where the branch/trunk is exposed to weather the most.

Once the trunks and leaf clusters were all painted and separated from their frame, I made 6 piles of leaf clusters and added here for bigger trees and took away some from the smaller trees and proceeded to glue clusters on the trees. Some examples I've seen keep each leaf cluster at the same horizontal plane and the trees look like they should be on a savanna, others try to angle them as a ball around the tree branches. I was looking for a wispy coastal look and am pleased with the result.

EDIT - I'll add this because I forgot to mention the removable skull. It's my kind of "talking tree". :lol
TT.jpg
TT.jpg (69.08 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Good Luck if you plan on making some of these, you can really make them "your own". Saw one with pink leaves, that reminded me of cherry blossoms.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am

I wanted some purple trees so I decided to dye and treat a small batch of reindeer moss.

Six cups of water to 2 cups of vegetable glycerin and a small amount of Rit Dye More in a plastic Ice cream tub. I heated the water to near boiling in a kettle and added it to the plastic tub.

Dave Frary, How to build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery.,recommends simmering for 5 minutes, Rit dye has instructions for cold dying so I am going to let it cool and keep it in the tub overnight.

I picked a small amount of reindeer moss from the side of the road. You do not have to use dye. Spray paint works fine. You do need to treat the moss so that it does not dry out.

I will make some lavender saw dust to add the moss as leaves. You can skip this step if you don't want to use flock.

You can use any paint color you want, I mixed this saw dust to match the tables we built for Tree Fort games.

There are a lot of techniques that work for Model Rail road that to not work out for gaming. Reindeer moss is sturdy enough.

I used the wall paint

Craft paint works fine

So does cheep spray paint.
William wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:50 pm
Oldent wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 pm
Riley wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm
Are these at Michael’s?
Yes
Cool, my Mother-In-Law gave me a gift certificate from there for Christmas.
Still want to look at some of the tiny plants in the garland section too. :D
I will go back with a coupon ;)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Oldent wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 pm
Riley wrote:
Are these at Michael’s?
Yes
Cool, my Mother-In-Law gave me a gift certificate from there for Christmas.
Still want to look at some of the tiny plants in the garland section too. :D

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 pm

Riley wrote:
Are these at Michael’s?
Yes

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Are these at Michael’s?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm

I picked up some more trees during the after Christmas and Halloween sales. I bought glycerin and gathered some fresh reindeer moss along the road. I found some purple dye. I will make some lavender flocking. Some Who village trees will be fun.

I only have one of this tree but I may get another with a coupon and see what I can do with the band saw.

The twisted trees will be fun.

Some of the spring items are making the way to the shelves. Many have a lot of potential.

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”