Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 21/06/21

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Grumpy Gnome’s projects...updated 17/05/21

Post by Starved Hound » Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 am

Good stuff Grumpy. Glad to see you finally got a few of the LED posts and the awesome Golems 🙂

You got a nice wee haul there, enjoy 😎
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 2500 pieces of Valoria

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks!

We would have liked to have gotten more from AnimeSensei but our budget could only stretch so far.

It is surprising how much some DF pieces look much better in person compared to in photos online.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 am

I have picked up a bunch of stuff from Anime as well. Zach is easy to deal with.

Your latest blog is a nice quick read, with lots of pictures, which are always good. After looking at the D&L KS a bunch, I have decided I just do not need what they offer overall. Yeah, a few of those minis might be cool, but then I have bins full of unpainted ones already waiting, and thousands of already painted (mostly prepainted) for gaming use. The fiddly nature of those connectors and the lingering look of open edges does not grab me. They have some of the same issues (but worse) than some of the Wizkids building tiles. Almost closed gaps at the edges of walls. Again, a huge step up from lines on a Mat, but far short of my DF-inspired expectations. DF was really my main initial foray into extensive 3D terrain so my bar got set pretty high.

I used to build some one-off set pieces out of cardboard and scrap foam from shipping and packaging materials from boxes at work, but those were never more than elaborate ways to use the z-axis generally. Those all would meet the dumpster once their need or use was past. I could now recreate those builds using DF pretty much and have them look so much better and not have to worry about the terrain sagging under the weight of minis (plastic or lead).

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Mon May 17, 2021 10:24 am

I am glad folks enjoy the blog, I try to share information of value so that people can make informed decisions.

D&L 3 Woodhaven was originally touted as a big building KS but it has evolved into mostly figures in my opinion. The buildings never received much focused attention. Even the sewers and lava caves have had more attention. So I can certainly understand why DooFers may not see a lot of value in the D&L terrain.

I do wish they had more scatter accessories and had focused more on civilian townsfolk rather than monsters but we will add the ones we like to our ever growing backlog and sell the rest.

We decided to go with just the one village pledge rather than the double unless something drastic changes in the last 48 hours.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

MCharod
Orc
Orc

Post by MCharod » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Mythica !!! enjoyable movies on a low budget, telling classic fantasy adventures...I liked them.

Especially if you look at recent movies, trying to push some political or cultural agenda.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Wow, that's is quite a haul of DF you got there! I want some of those lamp posts, bad! Great photos, as usual.

I haven't finished either series yet, but so far I am having the opposite reaction to S&B and JL. I'm *loving* JL, but then I also loved the comics, and Millar's work in general. Can't comment on the cliffhanger, yet, and gore is mostly not an issue for me as long as it makes sense in the story. S&B, though, is getting awfully close to YA literature cliche territory. I'm super uninterested in the protagonist getting another makeover in the fancy digs she rejects while moaning about her conflicted love interests. But the "criminal" trio are keeping me engaged enough to stick with it because I want to see what happens to them.

realarete
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by realarete » Mon May 17, 2021 5:59 pm

Nice work touching up the Soothsayers Hovel - looks great, I think I am going to try something similar.
As always, a great read.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 pm

thanks for letting me know about Jupiter’s legacy, i tend to be out of the loop with most of the world. and i second Mythica for some nice relaxing fantasy adventure

Grumpy Gnome
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Tue May 18, 2021 2:18 am

I am not generally squeamish, having seen quite a bit of blood, guts and death in the police. But some shows, like the first episode of the Boys, seem to revel in gratuitous gore. Shadow and Bone has some gory violence but it did not seem to revel in it the way the Boys did.

Shadow and Bone does wallow a bit in young adult tropes. It did make me feel old at times. But if you persevere there is a pay off by the end of the first season as the characters develop.

It means a lot to me to hear folks enjoy the blog.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 19, 2021 11:40 am

We enjoy your blog GG :)

Not watched any of those shows though, the Boys have been on our radar as we think Karl Urban is a sneaky good actor, still gutted the excellent Dredd film from 2012 was not a commercial success and so no more films planned :(

Was interested in your HH touch ups, but without our HH we cannot really evaluate whether we think it would be worth the effort.

Keep up the good work :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Gaming Talk”