Some Painted Minis

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Some Painted Minis

Post by William » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm

I just finished modifying my Zealot book cases and threw this together. Still need to get a lot of it painted (the part I don't like), but still like how the fit the height works well with DF. I added height to the wide cases and shortened the skinny cases. Both fit the wall heights now. I also cut the drawers off the armoire and made two pieces out of each, so they also fit the wall heights.
ZBC 000.jpg
ZBC 000.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 737 times
ZBC 001.jpg
ZBC 001.jpg (63.23 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Here is a layout of a game cabin... No kitchen, so pizza it is.
Unpainted Immersion.jpg
Unpainted Immersion.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Sure wish all decor makers around the world would just make everything fit DF. ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am

MrMorden wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm
Those are fantastic - love the instant gratification - 3D printers are the Polaroid of the terrain hobby!
Thanks buddy. I’m pretty happy with them, considering the negligible cost and the very modest time commitment I have in them.

I’m always a little hesitant to spend a ton of time on rather mundane “location flavor” minis that I might get to use every 3-5 years, but if I knock out stuff like this in an afternoon, that seems reasonable.
I don't play with my toys enough, but it is those details that make immersion - a bunch of game tiles without decor is very close to a battlemat - but when the tab;es and chairs go in, it is suddenly very real

This is where 3D printers have their sweet spot - they can make ANYTHING and you don't have to have shopped/ordered a month in advance - this makes them perfect for the set piece of a key encounter
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm
Those are fantastic - love the instant gratification - 3D printers are the Polaroid of the terrain hobby!
Thanks buddy. I’m pretty happy with them, considering the negligible cost and the very modest time commitment I have in them.

I’m always a little hesitant to spend a ton of time on rather mundane “location flavor” minis that I might get to use every 3-5 years, but if I knock out stuff like this in an afternoon, that seems reasonable.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

I have a D&D game tomorrow, and it will take place in a Gnomish Meadery. I realized late last night that all I have that is appropriate for props is barrels. BORING! So I printed up some items on the 3d printer and painted them today.

The meadery has been taken over by werebeasts, who are planning to use the equipment to distill were blood into the mead, so that the whole city will drink it at the harvest festival and become werecritters.

The villains have not taken good care of the equipment in the six months they have run it, so I used a lot of corrosion and weathering effects. This is a bit of a speed paint job, so quality is merely okay, but it only took me a few hours:

Last edited by MrMorden on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

BTW, keep the thinner, it works great with primer and helps it stick and dry quickly.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 pm

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

In other other news: we started airbrushing this year :
……
What you want is to thin in the airbrush using Vallejo Flow Improver (*not* thinner). The Flow Improver keeps paint moving and not trying on the tip, whereas thinner tends to dry paint out faster so it clogs. Also, get an old toothbrush and scrub the tip of your airbrush every few minutes, more the lighter the color. With white you need to scrub almost every time you spray. Just a quick swipe is all it takes; if you do that and thin with VFI I think your clogs will be over. I have done both from the start and have never had a real clog.

Watch Kenny Boucher's videos (YouTube & Twitch) under the Next Level Painting channel, you will learn everything you need about airbrushing.

Thanks MrM - Kenny Boucher's videos are on the watch list and a bottle of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver arrived in the post today :)
Was using thinner to try help the flow originally, so makes sense that it in fact made it worse, as that is what happened. Our friend whose airbrush it is effectively said the same, Flow Improver not thinner.

The colour we were using ? yellow so tooth brush on standby :D

So all clues point to Colonel Mustard in the Games Room with a Bolt Pistol!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:36 pm

BTW, I have always loved Lizardmen. In my D&D campaign they are a kind of wildcard; sometimes they are enemies, sometimes allies. It all depends how you interact with them and whether your goals align with theirs.

Anywho, I ordered and just received this, so now i will have a pretty respectable Lizardman army:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Se ... ehost-2018

It will be a good while before I get them painted, I have to finish my current project yet, and then I'm guessing assembly and painting of all those lizards will probably take 3-6 months or more.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

In other other news: we started airbrushing this year :) borrowed a friends airbrush setup and love the finish it provides and the effects you can create. Had some issues with paint drying to quickly on the needle, but got some remedies for that.

So ordered our own airbrush with some decent paints, thinners, cleaner and drying retardant :) no more excuses.
What you want is to thin in the airbrush using Vallejo Flow Improver (*not* thinner). The Flow Improver keeps paint moving and not trying on the tip, whereas thinner tends to dry paint out faster so it clogs. Also, get an old toothbrush and scrub the tip of your airbrush every few minutes, more the lighter the color. With white you need to scrub almost every time you spray. Just a quick swipe is all it takes; if you do that and thin with VFI I think your clogs will be over. I have done both from the start and have never had a real clog.

Watch Kenny Boucher's videos (YouTube & Twitch) under the Next Level Painting channel, you will learn everything you need about airbrushing.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Nice jobs you two :)

Trying to resist getting the new GW undead sculpts but they look awesome, fab paint job MrM.

As a wargammer you got to have colour coordinated wargear and those Firegiants look awesome d4h - nicceeee.

In other news: we have no problem fantasy fictional figures wielding huge swords, we do get the believable thing but if your going to have heroic heroes and mighty monsters then an overly large sword or mace etc is not much of a stretch for us ;)

In other other news: we started airbrushing this year :) borrowed a friends airbrush setup and love the finish it provides and the effects you can create. Had some issues with paint drying to quickly on the needle, but got some remedies for that.

So ordered our own airbrush with some decent paints, thinners, cleaner and drying retardant :) no more excuses.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Gaming Talk”