Mould lines on factory painted pieces

Trollface
Orc
Orc

Re: Mould lines on factory painted pieces

Post by Trollface » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:38 am

So a couple of points:
1) Yes DF is expensive, but it is cheap plastic. If you look at the cost of DF per piece, 3-5$ and look at the cost of a similar size bones figurine, bones are potentially more expensive than DF. You laugh at me, but dis troll got some chugalug in his dumbkopf.

2) @grumpy, the mold lines on that embankment you are showing are not great placement, they would be less visible exactly following the edges, but they are very easy to remove without destroying features of the sculpt. I you look at the large embankment from DH with the tree stump, that has some nasty ones that go across the sculpted plants at the edge. Had to redo the vine hanging over the edge. The tree topper from the cave mouth, that was a lot of work to fix, all the leaves are crossed with mold lines cutting those off requires resculpting about a 1/4 of the leaves. It really is crappy mold design. Factory cutting corners.

Grumpy Gnome
Orc
Orc

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:08 am

Ultimately, what I want to know is...

“Are these two examples of mould lines the kind that should have not passed quality control or are these something Dwarven Forge believes that customers should expect on the factory painted pieces?”
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:15 am

One thing here.

We suspect mold lines are present unpainted or painted - mold lines are more obvious when painted.

Also we have not heard of any factory process that trims mold lines.

Avoiding mold lines is a whole different skill and not convinced you can avoid them entirely, but position of the sculpt in the mold and how the piece is sculpted can disguise their presence.

OK so two things :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Grumpy Gnome
Orc
Orc

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:37 am

My wife has been to a tile manufacturing facility, they hand removed mould lines as part of the process.

We do not expect mould lines to be removed from unpainted pieces because I can relatively easily do it myself without damaging the piece but that is not necessarily the case with factory painted pieces... which have a higher cost and have been individually handled by the factory painters.

Why not just buy unpainted and not complain? Because we want to be able to get off the shelf pieces that only require a bit of work to get them playable. And we are willing to pay for that but we want to make informed decisions during the cost analysis.

It does not help that when I try to convince people to try DF they sometimes see the mould lines on the factory painted pieces and are put off. The pricing on factory painted pieces is difficult for some folks to accept, especially if it requires extensive additional work.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:42 am

Rabbit Burner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:15 am We suspect mold lines are present unpainted or painted
Can confirm, Unpainted has mold lines too. I am mostly able to ignore them, unless they are especially bad.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 am

Also if you do paint them yourself, you can run over any fresh dry brushed paint on those mold lines with a finger or thumb and it will diminish the contrast immediately.
It's not perfect, but it does get rid of those bright lines your eye catches. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Grumpy Gnome
Orc
Orc

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:12 am

I have been dimming them with a mix of spot painting and re-dry brushing in a less obvious color rather than shaving them down and having to repair the scraped area.

But I would prefer not having to do that as well as repair overspill and pick out the beautiful details that so often get lost in the factory paint.... since the line is still there an my painting skill is not sufficient to make it completely disappear.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:56 am

To be 100% honest I do not believe DF trims mold lines; I think the factory just tries to make them as small as possible with their fabrication and that's that. DF while expensive is not expensive due to pure detail and such like you would find with a resin cast. DF is expensive because of its durability, versatility, modularity, and brand recognition. I will be the first to admit that quality of certain aspects has been a concern since the shift to dwarvenite from resin. Resin did not have mold lines. DF shifted from quality to quantity (at a much cheaper price) when they launched their first dwarvenite line. Since that time, the cost has increased to match the resin costs but the QC processes have remained consistent at the factory. :( It's still a great product, but yes, there are flaws that you don't typically see with resin sculpts.
101 Resin and 269 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Grumpy Gnome
Orc
Orc

Post by Grumpy Gnome » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 am

It would be nice if DF could see this thread and have a word with the factory about taking the time to clean up such obvious mould lines before painting.

Wishful thinking, I know.
Rick, the Grumpy Gnome

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:49 am

Grumpy Gnome wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:29 am It would be nice if DF could see this thread and have a word with the factory about taking the time to clean up such obvious mould lines before painting.

Wishful thinking, I know.
Think the response would be "+$5 a piece"
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Return to “Feedback on Latest Sets”