Ultimate dungeon terrain inspiration

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
hiddenmanna
Kobold
Kobold

Ultimate dungeon terrain inspiration

Post by hiddenmanna » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:02 pm

I'm very new to dwarven forge and considering the best way to utilize it for my purposes. I recently saw the YouTube channel dungeoncraft talk about his ultimate dungeon terrain idea. Basically using your terrain as more of a theater instead of building full rooms or dungeons even. So it's basically floor tiles and dressings. I thought this could be a really interesting idea and save me some money and time.

I'd like your thoughts on how potentially to do this with dwarven forge and whether it would be worth it. I'm about to run lost mines of phandelver. Thinking I could do a bunch of different floor tiles from a variety of different terrains and then just use scatter terrain and potentially doors to signal where exits are but not use any walls. I could get a few terrain trays and essentially just set up a little platform on top.

Thoughts? Recommendations on which sets to get?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Ultimate dungeon terrain inspiration

Post by Oldent » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:56 pm

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:12 am

I made a build like this a long time ago. Here are a few pics
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 J.JPG
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 J.JPG (158.47 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 K.JPG
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 K.JPG (173.04 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 L.JPG
Game Setup Feb 27 2015 L.JPG (183.54 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
That idea could certainly make things a lot easier in a purchasing way for you though I do see some problems.

On the plus, it is a lot cheaper, as you said and could make movement and such easier without dealing with all the half squares on the L walls in caverns and dungeons.

On the negative, I think dungeons and caverns with walls just look better and offer more variety of sightlines for characters to use in combat.

As far as sets, that is a tough one as there is only the really varied floors in floor only packs, as I remember, not many standard floor tiles. The KS2 floor pack is a good start, but all the 2x2 tiles are pretty nonstandard. Maybe you can see if anyone like Animesensei is selling partial sets with more standard floors.

Maybe someone here has too many floors for their needs?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

realarete
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by realarete » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:40 am

The 'wallless' build for dungeons is a great idea and the pictures above look great!
Allows for a cheaper initial purchase and really pops on the table. Not to mention everyone can manipulate the miniatures VERY easily when no walls are in the way. Easy to see as well, especially if playing virtually atm.
A small amount of scatter goes a long way in this type of build as well.
I think if using a floors-only approach then terrain trays are not quite as useful, however they always make good platforms to fly sections in and out, but so does something ridge and cheaper for this style of build.

hiddenmanna
Kobold
Kobold

Post by hiddenmanna » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks all! Cool ideas.

My basic thought is that I'm worried about getting into DF at all because it puts me on the hook for some very pricey parts to create the dungeons I want. I really don't want to be constantly obsessing over getting just the right pieces that I might not either be able to afford or are out of stock.

Another idea I had was to just do DF for single choice combat rooms and use my resin printer for scatter terrain. But even with that, I'm concerns about finding just the right pieces to recreate the rooms.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:17 pm

One key thing to come to grips with is that a lot of published maps in various settings are impossible maps. I.e. they have zero thickness walls often. So 3 (20x20 rooms internal dimensions on the map, with walls between them, somehow fit along a 60' hallway with no overhang. Some maps are better than others, but most are not. If just drawing lines on a mat, you can get away with that, but when using any 3D terrain, the dimensions will just not all add up. Also, some maps have wonky angles in them, that serve no game mechanic role, just a way to add some color to the setting.

One needs to look at game maps and determine what is most important to maintain about the relationships and geometry and then fill in the gaps. The players will never know and that removes a whole lot of anxiety about matching terrain to maps.
Last edited by zenako on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenmanna
Kobold
Kobold

Post by hiddenmanna » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Such a good point!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:52 am

DW uses Isometric builds

So you don't need all the walls to complete a room.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:17 am

Rabbit Burner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:52 am DW uses Isometric builds

So you don't need all the walls to complete a room.
DM Scotty has over 200 U tube videos. A lot of people don't think you need walls.
DM Scotty and GMG do a lot of paper crafting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojEc8hVmn8
Others do 100% foam crafting.
Table Top Witch Craft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3U_ihgcVzo
RP Archive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVjEGjs2M4g

DM Scotty new foam link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Nwx4fEzQw
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”