Lost Mines Shopping List

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Re: Lost Mines Shopping List

Post by SwissArmyMage » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:18 pm

Tell her that DF, especially pre-painted, tends to hold it's value and if you were to sell it you could probably get back almost as much as you paid for it. Possibly more if you hold the sets long enough that they become rare and collectable.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

electricmotorcycles
Orc
Orc

Post by electricmotorcycles » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:14 pm

might not be completely relevant but i've made everything you need for lost mines with 10 sets from KS1 and 5 sets from KS2 so $1000 and i had plenty of left over pieces. i took pictures of my set ups but i'm not sure where they are, however, i do have this useful flavor image for the hangout
cragmaw hideout cave enterance.jpg
cragmaw hideout cave enterance.jpg (121.6 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:31 am

hiddenmanna wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:55 pm Great call. I got almost all the sets you mentioned. I bumped up my budget a bit and just got everything a painted... should arrive Thursday!

My wife was pretty shocked and horrified at how much I spent lol. I actually sold an old trumpet that I don't use anymore to pay for it. Anyone have advice on dealing with a wive's reaction to buying DF??
We make a lot of spouse jokes here, mostly to assuage our own guilt - most of us have very supportive partners who get that what gives us joy makes everyone's life better (this usually starts to wear thin when the boxes are piled in every room of the house...)

The best way is to get her in the game - if she is playing with your toys, then she is invested in the collection too (as a corollary if you let your kids play with them they are a parenting expense and we all know how much money we lavish on our children...) when she is urging you to buy the Shrine of Sysuul for the final encounter of your campaign you know she is as addicted as you!

In my case i no longer work - we live completely on my wife's income - it gets hard for me to rationalize a thousand bucks worth of DF - but i look at what we spend on kids, and camps, and dance classes, and scouts, and piano lessons and hockey and... suddenly a thousand buck on Dad once a year seems like small potatoes
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:27 am

To push this thread further down the side track, we were showing the matriarch some details on a model we are painting, because its in bits on the Coffee table, and she said 'I could paint that'.

WoW! Bloody WOW!

The only thing we know she has painted is a wall and her daughters finger nails, she gets someone else to do hers.

Then it dawned on us that she meant because of our eyesight, and that her eyesight is better for closeup small details than ours is. We wear glasses to read and then a set of magnifying glasses over the top to paint minis (six eyes!)

Still she seems to be showing more interest so might try to give her a piece, a pot of paint and a brush 'Show us then'.

For context she is not a gamer at all, the only interest she generally shows is when the kids are playing with us.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:21 pm

But painting miniatures is not in itself gaming and does not carry the same burdens. Painting miniatures as a hobby or craft would be a cool way to get her more involved. Tread carefully or soon there will a Mrs Burner on the forums moaning about Weasels and Daleks and how 40K terrain rules do not play well with Hellscape and how that sucks....good luck. :D

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:19 pm

I would think her main complaint might be all the procreation and mothering 40+ rambunctious fuzzballs. :o ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:35 pm

Hope she does not get on the forums or we might have some very awkward questions to answer .........

hiddenmanna
Kobold
Kobold

Post by hiddenmanna » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm

hahaha, all really good thoughts! Thanks guys!

Watching the door... 60lb delivery today :D

Does anyone have good videos on painting scatter terrain? Going to paint some trees today... Only found videos on mini painting.

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:29 pm

The Joy of Dwarven painting on the dwarven forge channel on youtube. Especially if you want to match the default look of DF.

Otherwise, painting terrain isn't much different than minis except that there is less detail to pickout.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 am

They never did post a Tree Joy of Dwarven painting.

They cover the trunks in The Dreadhollow Forest .

We assume that the assumption is it gives you enough clues, itt covers painting the stumps, so the wood is covered just not the foliage, but painting all those green bits gives enough clues.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”