My First DF Sets - Couple of Issues

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Terminum

My First DF Sets - Couple of Issues

Post by Terminum » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:36 pm

I just got my first couple starter sets and overall I really like the sculpts and weight of these pieces. There's a few issues though, and I'm wondering if this is consistent of the product and what people do about it.

1) This is pretty minor, but the mold lines on some pieces are much more prominent than I expected. I'm pretty OCD about this and it looks like they will definitely catch the dry brush and look awkward. I'm wondering if anyone else bothers to clean this up, and if so please let me know if you have any tips (for doing it quickly without damaging it, or anything else I should know) as I'm not familiar with the material.

2) A bigger issue is that some of the pieces came extremely warped. I've tried to straighten them by bending them, but they morph back to the warped state. The warping prevents these pieces from aligning with anything properly. Additionally, the stairway to violence base is so wobbly that I wouldn't want to stack anything on top of it for fear of my painted models falling off. I was wondering if this is a common issue.

Image https://ibb.co/JF5GkBh
Image https://ibb.co/6NBGcGj

3) Some of the pieces aren't quite as modular as I had hoped. More specifically, if I want it to create a relatively seamless build some of the pieces only work well with one or two other pieces it seems. Maybe some of this is due to the warping, but some of the pieces look like they fit together in very specific ways and don't work well with a lot of the other pieces. For example, some of the hallways don't fit together evenly and either have a crack on one side or the other, and I'm having a hard time putting escarpments together in a way that doesn't leave unnatural corners. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, or maybe I just don't have enough sets?
Image https://ibb.co/52qkYS9
Image https://ibb.co/LZzrKM5

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Not sure why the images aren't loading. So I also added links. Sorry about that.

Trollface
Orc
Orc

Re: My First DF Sets - Couple of Issues

Post by Trollface » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Well I can answer your first two questions:
1) yes the mold lines are traditionally awful with DF. Removing them is very similar to reaper bones, but the plastic is a bit stiffer. Use an xacto knife with a fresh blade and gently cut the mold line off holding the blade parallel to the piece. Note that not only are the mold lines very prominent, they are often placed so that removing them damages the sculpt. I have had to do a lot of greenstuff repair to fix the really poor quality control that DF does. I wish they would work more with the factory to check how they are placing the pieces in the molds.

2) To fix the warping put the piece in boiling water for a minute and then place on a flat surface to cool. If that doesn't work clamp it to a board for a few days.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:42 pm

If you have any pieces with metal inside of them (magnetic or electrical) be sure to put them in a baggie and SEAL IT before submerging in water. Heat will allow the material to become pliable, and cold will reset it. Sometimes in a really bad scenario it can take a couple times of this. I've never had to do it more than once though.
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

Terminum

Post by Terminum » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm

Thanks for the help. It's a little annoying that I need to "fix" so many pieces that were so expensive in the first place, especially the bent ones, but I guess that's modelling life for you. I'll give that a try.
AnimeSensei wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:42 pm If you have any pieces with metal inside of them (magnetic or electrical) be sure to put them in a baggie and SEAL IT before submerging in water.
Related question - I was planning to wash the pieces before priming as they feel like they might have a release agent on them. Is that a bad idea to get the magnetic parts wet, or is it specifically the combination of heat and water that's bad?

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Some of the unpainted tiles do benefit from a degreasing wash. I have taken to just doing it on all of them now. Some of the paint colors are way more forgiving of residual stuff on the stuff (Base grey will go over almost anything it seems) while some of the more vibrant reds and blues really need a clean surface or they seem to bead up more readily. Once cleaned, the coverage/adhesion issue essentially goes away in my experience. I am using almost solely Porkorny paints for my tiles. I do have a wide range of Reaper paints that I sometimes use for accents work or fine metallic details. I have also used metallic sharpies as well for some metal parts.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Magnetic and electrical pieces can be washed and rinsed but don't submerge them. Be careful not to get water inside them.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Yep, just treat them with care and make sure any batteries are removed. Just like with any electronics, water inside can corrode and damage your piece.
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”