What am I doing wrong? (Painting Dwarvenite Edition)

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Forged2020
Goblin
Goblin

What am I doing wrong? (Painting Dwarvenite Edition)

Post by Forged2020 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:52 pm

I recently decided to try my hand at painting some unpainted Dwarvenite pieces. I've painted miniatures (poorly) for a while, and, from watching the painting tutorial videos, it didn't look like it would be too difficult to paint some of the more basic Dwarven Forge Pieces.

As you may have guessed from the topic title, things didn't go very well. The first pieces I tried to paint were in the Ice Caverns Paint Scheme. For reference, I followed this Joy of Dwarven Painting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWrE1rBPR-U

I bought all of the Pokorny Paints in the video to make it easier to follow along.

I ran into a few issues:

1. The color ratios to create the paint mixes seemed way off. Erin recommends doing the underlying base coat with Basalt Blue, Bubbles Blue, White, and Base Gray in a 1/1/1/.5 ratio. Following that ratio gave me a puddle of gray. Reducing the gray gave me close to a Bubbles Blue. Ultimately, I can get a color similar (but not exactly :/) the same as the one in the video/on my other pieces, but it's nowhere near the ratio given in the video.

Similarly, for the frost drybrush, she recommends a "chill touch" of Caverns Dry Brush (a few drops) mixed with White. Mixing a single drop of Caverns Dry Brush into even a large puddle of White yields me a muddy brown - again, nowhere near the color in the video or on the other cavern pieces. I made sure to shake/mix the paints well before using - the issue didn't seem to be related to settled pigment in the paints.

2. The paints seem too liquid-y. I know (1) the Pokorny paints come pre-thinned, (2) I likely don't thin my miniature-painting acrylics enough, and (3) I'm a below-average painter at best, but the Pokorny Paints all seem to me to come out of the bottle more like washes than paints.

3. Possibly related to issue two above, but I can't drybrush these paints for the life of me. If I rub the brush thoroughly on a paper towel, the coat that gets applied is incredibly thin. In the Joy of Painting video, the video plays like she applies only a single coat on the piece for each of the full-piece painting steps. To get the same paint coverage/color quality with these paints and thoroughly using the paper towel, I need four or more coats minimum. And, by the fourth coat, I've often lost some detail as the paint has more opportunities to get into the crevices. If I don't dry the brush on the paper towel quite as well, I can get the color saturation in one or two coats, but then I lose a lot more of the detail as the paint flows into the crevices easily. If I drybrush with my miniature-painting acrylics (Vallejo), however, I do get the normal, expected dry brushing effect in a single pass.

Any help you all can provide would be much appreciated! I'm hoping there's just something very simple I'm doing wrong - one thing that's hard for me with a lot of the miniature/terrain painting videos out there is they assume a base level of competency :P

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What am I doing wrong? (Painting Dwarvenite Edition)

Post by zenako » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:06 pm

One thing I have found is that when dealing with a "new" bottle of paint from DF I often have to stir it up and / or shake it up a bunch to get all the pigments suspended again. I do not worry that much about their warnings about frothing the paint by mixing it too much. Once mixed, I have found that just a gentle shake is all the bottles need for a few months after that. It sounds like you might have had some seperation since generally those paints are not that thin,

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:17 pm

I don't have a suggestion, but wanted to inject this.

I had bought my "collection" of Pokorny paint quite a few years ago and many I got multiples, so had not needed to get any for years. The washes were fairly thin but work great and the others were not that thin at all. But, last month I bought the five new colors I had not purchased earlier and they are their newest colors anyway. All five of these new colors are pretty thin paint and I also noticed they now put a ball bearing in the bottles to help in mixing. All my old paints do not have those.

But holy cow they are thin paint, although the metallics aren't as much as the other three.
I'm almost thinking of leaving the top off of those for a few days. :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Forged2020
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Forged2020 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Thanks for the quick replies - when I found after normal shaking that the paints were still thin I shook the crap out of them (ignoring the frothing warning) but still didn't see much change. I'll try dropping a ball bearing in and see if that helps!

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Here is what mine looked like after I put the first coat on - mine looks more blue than grey. I don't know if you mistyped your formula, but here is what I used: Basalt Blue(2), Bubbles Blue(2), Base Grey(2), White (1) - a minor difference on the last two colors from what you posted.
20200313_000218.jpg
20200313_000218.jpg (148.16 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
20200121_202754.jpg
20200121_202754.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2866 times

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:01 am

I like what you have so far as a base coat. Make sure it is dry before you switch brands of white.
Watch this presentation and consider some of the painting suggestions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VDL8H6bFAw&t=582s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPNPqGa3eTw&t=182s
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Trollface
Orc
Orc

Post by Trollface » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:39 pm

By the way soaking for a day or two in Simple Green will help remove the paint if it is too thick and you want to start over. It will smell funny for a while :lol:

Forged2020
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Forged2020 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Paladin In Hell - That looks much more like how I expected things to look after one coat, and how things looked in the video. The video does say 1 Bubbles Blue /1 Basalt Blue / 1 White / .5 Gray but your color result looks far, far closer to the right color than what the video combination got me.

Trollface - That's precisely what I've been doing the last few days. I saw the recommendation in another post. I managed to get the last of my first try off last night - now to try painting again.

I'm hoping that adding the ball bearings when shaking will correct the paints. Otherwise, from what everyone else is saying, I may have just gotten a bad batch.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Forged2020 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 pm Paladin In Hell - That looks much more like how I expected things to look after one coat, and how things looked in the video. The video does say 1 Bubbles Blue /1 Basalt Blue / 1 White / .5 Gray but your color result looks far, far closer to the right color than what the video combination got me.

Trollface - That's precisely what I've been doing the last few days. I saw the recommendation in another post. I managed to get the last of my first try off last night - now to try painting again.

I'm hoping that adding the ball bearings when shaking will correct the paints. Otherwise, from what everyone else is saying, I may have just gotten a bad batch.
If you have, let DF know.
101 Resin and 293 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Please see my list of stuff for sale for some awesome deals at 10% lower than anywhere else! Located HERE!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”