Not sure where to start

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
jenslin

Not sure where to start

Post by jenslin » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi there!

Hope you are all well:)

I've been considering getting some dwarven forge to spice up my d&d games for some time.
To start out with I was considering:

Encounter 07 - Mushroom Grotto &
Encounter 04 - Webbed Lair - Unpainted

Initially I want to be able to do the following:

120ft,90ft,60ft,30ft length cavern corridor with options of 5,10,15 & 20 ft width passageways
Be able to convert these into cavern rooms or just really large passageways
have water areas that are below or bottomless chasms (lots of mats?)
bridges
magnets and leds
Not break the bank
hopefully it will also be compatible with the wildlands erinthor mountains pieces?
(I just missed that so hopefully I can pick it up later?)

Would appreciate any guidance/suggestions on where to start and get the best value for starting out please.

Thank you very much in advance,

J

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Not sure where to start

Post by kitenerd » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:37 pm

Welcome Jenslin!

Mushroom Grotto is a very cool encounter and an awesome selection of basic utility pieces.

I am less enthused about webbed lair - not enough basic building blocks for someone starting in... It is available as a core set on page 2 which gets you the essentials without the bling (some of which duplicates what you are getting in mushroom grotto) - compare the two and you will see where you heart lies (ie if you can't give up the encounter then you know you REALLY want the bling! - thats ok, it is often good to know what part of something you are attracted to)

Instead of webbed lair i would look at: Adventure Essentials 1-3 or Hag's Den Core - i think you get a lot more bang for the buck with those two

Whatever you decide, get at least 1 or 2 starter caverns - there is nothing sexy there to make you want it, but you will never regret having the basic bits - if you REALLY want bang for the buck, Zach (AnimeSensei) has unpainted KS2 core and SG sets for KS2 prices - you will never get better value and those sets (while not as beautifully sculpted as KS6) have a LOT of variety in basic pieces - plus... SPIDER WEBS!

Speaking of KS2 - the Chasm Pack is cheap - and provides a transition from 3d tiles to a game mat (water, black cloth for the abyss, whatever) - these are awesome utility pieces for everything from a crack in the floor to the edge of the encounter area - they were the early predecessor to all the banks and ledges that folks are going crazy about these days
Last edited by kitenerd on Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Those would be a good start but are both currently sold out in the shop at this time.

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:51 pm

They aren't sold out in unpainted, which is what I assume OP wants because the sets they specified in their original post are also only available unpainted.

I second what Kite said. I just got into DF recently myself, and I have found getting "basic bread and butter" should be your initial focus to approaching a new set. I have webbed lair and it has a lot of finicky bits with the passages and the pond at the back, which would be fine with enough other pieces but the set by itself is a bit more limited on what you can do with it.

A starter of anything is an excellent place to grab some basic pieces, and is always a good place to start. Personally, I feel caverns deep is a little less friendly to newbies compared to Dungeon of doom, the swell walls and trifectas can be a little confusing. They aren't that hard to figure out, but if you start getting frustrated keep in mind that CD can be less intuitive compared to other sets.

This is the post Kite is referring to about Anime (who resells collections).
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11348
I have bought from him and can vouch that he's good. The only issue is the KS2 caverns he has don't have magnets, which you specify you want.

In terms of your specific requests, All DF pieces have subtle tiles (approx 1") integrated into their terrain, with standard pieces being 2x2. (wall pieces take up half a space) The only issue would be the 5ft width passage, as caverns isn't really build for such a narrow width. The "passage" pieces have 2 squares in the center, so 10ft. Going smaller than that would require cramming a trifecta piece against a wall piece (there will be a gap) or having one of your "walls" be a drop off or imaginary (pretend there's a wall here guys). Expanding out beyond a 10ft wide passage is easy, it just requires more pieces. I figure how much DF I want/need based on table coverage in terms of Square feet.

DF uses standard sizing for just about all of their pieces, so most everything is compatible with everything else in terms of "will it fit together?". When people talk about stuff being compatible, 90% of the times they mean "will the paint match up?".

Water or chasms just requires something to put under the terrain, a print off from your computer will do in a pinch. If you want terrain for making it pretty the chasm pack is available, or you can buy the water tiles. Both are KS2 though, and don't have magnets. (nothing prior to Dungeon of Doom have magnets on the bottom, castles use them to help hold pieces together but not on the bottom.)

On the note of magnets though, if you want to make use of the magnets you need something metal to stick them too. Terrain trays are very limited for what's in stock at the moment. The only thing with water on them are some DOD 8x4 trays, otherwise you have to get stuff from sets that include them.

For bridges and LEDS, you'll just have to look over what's available and get what you want.

If you want to avoid breaking the bank, unpainted will help. However, this is an expensive hobby to get into no matter what you do. Furthermore, many people (myself included) find it very addicting.

The absolute cheapest way is to get your stuff through the kickstarter. If you missed wildlands and think you'll get stuff when it comes out next year, I would consider asking customer support if they would be willing to let you into the Pledge manager while it's open and getting anything you really want now. (it closes Now 22)

If you think you may sell your DF stuff later, prepainted holds it's value very well (although it's more expensive). If you want to sell unpainted, I would look at using paints that are easy to strip if you paint them. People generally prefer unpainted as blank over partially painted they then have to match or strip themselves.

Welcome to the club!
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

jenslin

Post by jenslin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:37 am

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much!!

Although I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between adventure, core,universal and encounter packs it is making more sense now thanks you

J

SwissArmyMage
Orc
Orc

Post by SwissArmyMage » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:46 am

An encounter is the complete "encounter", a pre-made set with a given theme. Mushroom grotto is a cave room full of weird mushrooms. Summoning chamber is a room with a summoning circle, sacrificial items, and some dogs.

Adventure packs contain the "bling" of an encounter. So the summoning circle, hounds, and random bits from summoning chamber as an example.

Core and universal packs contain the basic building blocks. Core sets are usually connected with an encounter (not always) and universal pieces are all the pieces you might need to make a selection of encounters.

So generally, an encounter's core set + the adventure pack = the encounter. (once again, not always. Some encounters need extra packs to be "complete"

A universal set has pieces from more than one encounter, in the max # you might need to make any one of those encounters.

Caverns deep is a bit weird. It's entirely based on encounters. Which is part of why they are having inventory issues in the store with it.

Say for example you bought universal set a-c. If set a needed 1 straight wall, set b needed 3, and set c needed 2, the universal would have a total of 3, the max number needed by any of them.
Link to my drive with photos of my custom painted collection.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Updated with new pics on occasion.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:50 am

jenslin wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 pm Hi there!

Hope you are all well:)

I've been considering getting some dwarven forge to spice up my d&d games for some time.
To start out with I was considering:

Encounter 07 - Mushroom Grotto &
Encounter 04 - Webbed Lair - Unpainted

Initially I want to be able to do the following:

120ft,90ft,60ft,30ft length cavern corridor with options of 5,10,15 & 20 ft width passageways
Be able to convert these into cavern rooms or just really large passageways
have water areas that are below or bottomless chasms (lots of mats?)
bridges
magnets and leds
Not break the bank
hopefully it will also be compatible with the wildlands erinthor mountains pieces?
(I just missed that so hopefully I can pick it up later?)

Would appreciate any guidance/suggestions on where to start and get the best value for starting out please.

Thank you very much in advance,

J
I like what you have picked out 8-)
You might want to also look at the Cavern Assortment Set .

The Cavern Assortment Set includes a narrow passage dead end and the often over looked narrow passage wedge, more corners and floors also helps.

https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collectio ... -unpainted
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jenslin

Post by jenslin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:01 pm

Thank you very much!
and the often over looked narrow passage wedge
Curious about this now :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:51 pm

jenslin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:01 pm Thank you very much!
and the often over looked narrow passage wedge
Curious about this now :)
The wedge allows the narrow passages to snake and curve. This can be important with some of the old school maps.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”