Citadel Paint works now?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Drossy

Citadel Paint works now?

Post by Drossy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:53 am

Hi All,

I'm new to Dwarven Forge, but having pledged for Wildlands, I seem to be all in and also picked up a few sets in the October restock, which got delivered this week. As I'm wincing at the shipping costs already I've gone unpainted, and while I know the painting guide doesn't recommend Citadel/Games Workshop paints as they turn out "tacky"; as I already had some, I thought I'd sacrifice a couple of pieces as an experiment...and they seem to work okay:
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
(with unpainted pieces for reference, I will hopefully improve at drybrushing over time :) )

This is using XV-88 for the accent stones and Terminatus Stone for the drybrush as they seemed to be the closest match between the painting videos and what I owned, directly onto unprimed Dwarvenite. They don't feel sticky to the touch to me - has anyone else found this or will I hit problems with larger areas of paint? I wonder whether GW has reformulated their paints since the painting page was written.

Trollface
Orc
Orc

Re: Citadel Paint works now?

Post by Trollface » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:24 am

The concern is not citadel brush on paints, but spray on primer.
many spray primers contain propellants that interact badly with the abs
plastics. You can get the same issue with reaper bones.

Cheers

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:12 pm

Trollface wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:24 am The concern is not citadel brush on paints, but spray on primer.
many spray primers contain propellants that interact badly with the abs
plastics. You can get the same issue with reaper bones.

Cheers
I could be wrong but I think you mean PVC plastic.

Trollface
Orc
Orc

Post by Trollface » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:33 am

I think you are right,
Same effect though.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:08 am

Drossy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:53 am Hi All,

I'm new to Dwarven Forge, but having pledged for Wildlands, I seem to be all in and also picked up a few sets in the October restock, which got delivered this week. As I'm wincing at the shipping costs already I've gone unpainted, and while I know the painting guide doesn't recommend Citadel/Games Workshop paints as they turn out "tacky"; as I already had some, I thought I'd sacrifice a couple of pieces as an experiment...and they seem to work okay:

IMG_0185.jpg

(with unpainted pieces for reference, I will hopefully improve at drybrushing over time :) )

This is using XV-88 for the accent stones and Terminatus Stone for the drybrush as they seemed to be the closest match between the painting videos and what I owned, directly onto unprimed Dwarvenite. They don't feel sticky to the touch to me - has anyone else found this or will I hit problems with larger areas of paint? I wonder whether GW has reformulated their paints since the painting page was written.
Hey Drossy welcome to the forums and a fellow UK resident to boot :)

We have used citadel paints painting our Boat, docks and bridge, so mostly browns without any issues.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:18 am

DF had a table in one of the older painting guides. Here is a link to it/

https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/pages/gam ... mendations

It seems the bigger issue was always with spray paints/primers. It would be a good idea for DF to revisit this table and update if required for all the folks getting unpainted in the future. Nate was wondering what Erin might work on this winter last nite on OtA. Consider this an option.

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:26 am

I have painted all of my DF thus far with Citadel paints (in fact, I have my first set of Porkorny paints arriving with my monster sewer set any day now, and I can't wait to compare them!). I have painted pieces from just about every DF dwarvenite line.

Do DF paints work? Yes, very well. They are high quality paints and have the advantage of an incredible range of thicknesses and colours. They adhere just fine to unprimed dwarvenite pieces.

What about the Citadel primers? Dunno. I've not felt the need to prime dwarvenite.

Are pieces tacky after being painted? Yes. Slightly. And the tackiness persists. Depending on the piece you can often detect it a little bit by touch. And it is significant enough that two flat pieces stacked together in a box will slightly stick together when you lift them up.

However.

There is no paint loss that I've noticed from this, nor does the paint rub off during game use, etc. As far as I can tell, the only consequence is that the pieces are slightly tacky. It hasn't impacted their use or presentation in any way.

The biggest drawbacks, and the reasons I am trying the Porkorny, are that: 1) you generally have to mix Citadel colours to get them to match even basic DF pieces, so that adds time and wastes paint, and 2) Citadel paints are *expensive* and painting terrain really uses them up fast!

Clint_Lundgren
Orc
Orc

Post by Clint_Lundgren » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Follow-up:

Last night, I painted the Monster Sewer set using my new Porkorny Paints. Here are my thoughts, in comparison to using Citadel paints:

1. Holy value, Batman! I felt like I could paint my *kitchen* with the amount of paint that Porkorny gives in a container. Each cost about double what a jar of Citadel goes for but contains...I dunno, 10 times as much paint? 20 times? I feel like a bit of an idiot, having used so much expensive paint to do simple scenery. I'm saving the Citadel paints for miniatures only from now on!

2. That's some thin paint. So thin that I considered whether I should prime the terrain first, which I haven't previously done for Dwarvenite, and have some qualms about because I don't think it will take primer very well. I didn't. And, indeed, some of the colours took a few extra coats when I was base coating (*ahem cardboard ahem*). This inconvenience vanished completely when drybrushing.

3. Looks great, and *almost* no tackiness! It took me about 3 hours to paint the whole set. Interestingly, I still noticed a touch of tackiness to the paint (i.e. flat pieces slightly sticking together). Probably a coat of varnish will solve this, if I bother.

Overall, I'm super pleased with the Pokorny paints. They work pretty much exactly as advertised. They wouldn't be my first or second choice for doing detailed miniature figures, but they are excellent value for painting Dwarven Forge. I recommend!
Last edited by Clint_Lundgren on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:38 pm

My experience as well. I am now on my third or bottle of Base Gray (used on castles, and CBS and stone work in DH as well). I have a wide range of Reaper Paints (many from their KS packs) but other than using them for small details, stick with my range of large Pokorny bottles. You get a lot of tile coverage out of each one for sure. Some of them cover in one coat very well (Gray and some of the darker brown ones, as well as certain green shades). Some of the others, not so much and take more than one coat. To date, I have not bothered to prime any tile and have had no adhesion issues.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”