Vaulted Gaming Tables

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
period3
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Vaulted Gaming Tables

Post by period3 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am

GardenDM wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm Do you use a vaulted gaming table (i.e. table with a recessed play area, typically 3-4 inches deep)? What are the dimensions of your table and vault? How well does the whole setup work for play and what tips do you have to share?

We're getting a Wyrmwood Modular Gaming Table in the next month or two and having never played TTRPG with terrain and miniatures at a vaulted table, I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Pros, Cons, would you get one again if you were starting over or stick with a standard table, etc.
yes, I have a geekchic emissary (3'x6' vault, 3'10"x7' exterior dimensions) that doubles as my dining room table. I'm getting a wyrmwood table as a dedicated gameroom table. I'd like to get the wargaming size, but I have a pretty small game room. I might have to settle for medium.

The geekchic works good for most games, but I often wish the vault was a bit wider than 3'. I don't like accessories on my table. The player desks, are inconvenient and push me away from the table. It's much nicer to keep everything in the vault, but then 3' can be a bit narrow. I'd definitely go wargaming size if you have the space.

If I were to do it over, I'd save money by not buying accessories. I rarely use mine (two desks, 2 cup holders, 6 wine glass holders, 2 bins). The block for storing the leaves is very handy, I'd definitely get one of those. I also would avoid contrasting stains. Try as we might, the table gets nicked, but because it's natural walnut none of the nicks shows up. The wyrmwood dark espresso finish on very light maple will probably show every scratch. (woodworkers can correct me if I'm wrong...)

GardenDM
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GardenDM » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 am

period3 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 am
GardenDM wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 pm Do you use a vaulted gaming table (i.e. table with a recessed play area, typically 3-4 inches deep)? What are the dimensions of your table and vault? How well does the whole setup work for play and what tips do you have to share?

We're getting a Wyrmwood Modular Gaming Table in the next month or two and having never played TTRPG with terrain and miniatures at a vaulted table, I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Pros, Cons, would you get one again if you were starting over or stick with a standard table, etc.
yes, I have a geekchic emissary (3'x6' vault, 3'10"x7' exterior dimensions) that doubles as my dining room table. I'm getting a wyrmwood table as a dedicated gameroom table. I'd like to get the wargaming size, but I have a pretty small game room. I might have to settle for medium.

The geekchic works good for most games, but I often wish the vault was a bit wider than 3'. I don't like accessories on my table. The player desks, are inconvenient and push me away from the table. It's much nicer to keep everything in the vault, but then 3' can be a bit narrow. I'd definitely go wargaming size if you have the space.

If I were to do it over, I'd save money by not buying accessories. I rarely use mine (two desks, 2 cup holders, 6 wine glass holders, 2 bins). The block for storing the leaves is very handy, I'd definitely get one of those. I also would avoid contrasting stains. Try as we might, the table gets nicked, but because it's natural walnut none of the nicks shows up. The wyrmwood dark espresso finish on very light maple will probably show every scratch. (woodworkers can correct me if I'm wrong...)
Oooof, scary to think the espresso stain won't hold up as that's what we got.

We also went for the topper block, six player desks, and 4 large/4small cupholders since those seem really practical.

I'm still not sure about the player desks and shared your concern about pushing folks too far from the table, but my wife was set on getting those to have a place for character sheets, books, etc....hopefully we don't regret them too much.

It sounds like we made the right size decision in the Wargaming size, at least for Dwarven Forge setups. I do worry it may be a bit too wide to comfortably reach in for board games, but I guess we'll find out.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 am

I don’t have a vaulted table per se, instead I have a Table of Ultimate Gaming topper atop my table. It sits on a 4’ x 8’ table that I made in my dedicated gaming room. I bought it to do builds with different elevation, sublevels, etc. Do I really use it that way? Not so much. The topper itself is 4’ x 6’ and about a little over two inches deep (good for one level of DF setups). I find that the whole descending elevation build idea, while cool, isn’t something I do that often. The topper is now basically a containment area for my game builds. I never have to cover them so the tops stay off (unless specifically for a game that has a descending area). Now that I have it, I’m glad that I didn’t spring for a dedicated vaulted table. This setup fits my needs and was fairly inexpensive. I think it was just under $500 from the Kickstarter a couple years ago.

Alkettory
Orc
Orc

Post by Alkettory » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 am

We have a GeekChic Sultan that seats 8 (three at each long side, and one at each short side). We normally have five players and a DM, and leave the middle seats by the long sides empty.

Our DM sits by one of the short sides, and has an additional "Valet" (cart).

The vault is 48" x 90" x 3.75" Generally, the person closest to the thing that needs to be moved is asked to move it. The DM also has a "Command Stick" that gives him an extra 3' of reach to push or pull small objects.

The table is in a dedicated gaming room, but it is nice to have the value because it allows long term DF setups to be covered so we can use the table for other things in between gaming sessions. We were playing once/month pre-pandemic, and hope to resume soon.

period3
Ogre
Ogre

Post by period3 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:37 pm

GardenDM wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 am Oooof, scary to think the espresso stain won't hold up as that's what we got.
I do like the look of the espresso tables. Someone posted pics of the large espresso in the KS comments: https://imgur.com/a/Y1lK2i3?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 am

I love the fact that they got all the cupholders in different woods - clever and fun!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”