What do you play with DF?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What do you play with DF?

Post by William » Fri May 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Oh my god so many answers! How cool! All of it inspires me like crazy!! Thanks everyone! I cannot wait to start playing! :)
I've been doing the D.F. Shuffle for around 2 decades now, but the usage and reasons have changed over those 7300+ days (Actually counted in minutes (or hours if I'm lucky) these days). Loved playing 3.5 and most of the prior iterations of D&D since the late 1970's, but since a medical problem I now use it to pass the time and take my mind off of pain.

This one thread Coloseum From 2003 shows a lot of things I used/made/set up with Dwarven Forge products and inspiration. In the thread you will find Custom Clay Sculpts, Modified Dwarvenite, Grid Paper Maps, Easy Water and a cool GIF that Josh made for me.

Anyway, there is a lot to do with DF, even Holiday Decorations. :lol:

Keep on Forge'N ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri May 17, 2019 5:34 am

We play very much ad-hoc and casual.

We make a build that we think is cool then play a narrative based adventure with the kids.

Have plans with eldest bunny to create more picture stories following the inept Space Marine Squad Fodder first seen in this little Adventure

sill harbouring hopes of getting the younger bunnies to play some actual DnD :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Weltenlaeufer
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Weltenlaeufer » Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Oh my god so many answers! How cool! All of it inspires me like crazy!! Thanks everyone! I cannot wait to start playing! :)

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Initial plan (new to DF here and only now getting around to painting it) is to use it with Pathfinder. It is true that if you want exact replicas of the maps, you'll need a lot of pieces. That said, you can often adjust things to be close enough to work with what you have. Heck, even when running published mods in the past with just a wet erase battle map I usually approximate the actual maps just for quickness sake. The big thing you need to keep in mind then for your games is to have enough floor, wall, and corner pieces to make the rooms that you want. If you want a big encounter room, you'll need the floor and wall pieces. That said, I don't anticipate ever laying out an entire dungeon all at once because a) we'd have a hard time fitting it on the table and b) our group is very much beer and pretzels and just doesn't rush through sessions very fast, so we usually only need to worry about at most 3 encounters or so in a given session.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 am

period3 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:04 am
Oldent wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 am
period3 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

I am having my breakfast beside the next scenario, ready for this weekend! (Need to finish painting...)
The CB works well :!:
Have you played Green Horde with DF? If so, what have you used for hedges?
I have the Green hoard hedges. I have been trying to come up with a good way to do the water tiles.I have also been working on Massive Darkness tiles.

They are hard to come by

The CMON Hedges are only 3 inches long to fit the game ties.

I made adapters with Hirst Art blocks and Dollar store Grotesque.

One grotesque and one hedge converts to 4 inches. I am basing my Massive Darkness figures to use with DOD.

If you can not find any. You may have to make them.
The fastest would be to cut Old Fashioned AC filters in to strips and paint them dark green and dry brush them leaf green.

This photo from my tip section on photo bucket is the best photo I have. I cut that TV stand work station up for material years ago :lol:

There are countless ways to make hedges.

The Terrain Crate hedges will work better with some of the KSVI tiles. I think the thorn thicket hedges will be nice, I only have one set ordered :( I wish I had enough of the resin Woodland sets
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:04 am

Oldent wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 am
period3 wrote:
Oldent wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Same here :!:

Frost Grave,Pathfinder and D&D too
I am having my breakfast beside the next scenario, ready for this weekend! (Need to finish painting...)
Have you played Green Horde with DF? If so, what have you used for hedges?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 am

period3 wrote:
Oldent wrote:
period3 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm
I have used mine for Zombicide black plague and briefly for the skirmish game Ghost Archipelago. If I can ever get to finish assembly and painting, I plan to use it for the skirmish game Kings of War Vanguard and Malifaux 3rd edition when it's released.

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Oldent wrote:
period3 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm
I have used mine for Zombicide black plague and briefly for the skirmish game Ghost Archipelago. If I can ever get to finish assembly and painting, I plan to use it for the skirmish game Kings of War Vanguard and Malifaux 3rd edition when it's released.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:56 pm
I only played "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye) Roleplaying game in my teens and we loved it!
Me too. For nostalgic reasons I even want to play the very first dark eye adventures (Silvanas Befreiung, Wirtshaus zum schwarzen Keiler, ...) again — this time with Dwarven Forge — and maybe with D&D rules :D Those early Dark Eye adventures should work perfectly with DF, because the dungeons in there are so cliche ...

Apart from that, my main focus is D&D5, but I also do skirmish games like Frostgrave and Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish with my tiles.

Next plan is to have a Dungeon Crawl Classic mini campaign, a Shadow of the Demon Lord mini campaign, and a huge Forbidden Lands campaign, with DF, but I do not yet know If that works well for Forbidden Lands, because the fight system does not work with static distances, but with more or less dynamic “zones”. Could be difficult to have a tactical fight with terrain with those rules.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:39 am

D&D, mostly 5E these days but 1E/2E may get done again. I'm hoping to do Cthulhu soon, but everyone is into D&D too much right now. We're rotating 3 DMs/campaigns at the moment, playing 2/week.

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”