Plants

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Plants

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:05 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm
So I just bought some aquarium/terrarium plants to make some "jungle" type of setups. It's my first time buying them for this purpose. All of my other vegetation are either flocked trees or freestanding.

How do you all incorporate these plants in your terrain? Do you put them on bases? Just stick them inbetween DF tiles? Sticky-tack them on? Any help would be appreciated so I get some ideas on how I would like to proceed before modding these things and locking into an idea.
END

Zach, I get appropriately sized washers (ie large enough diameter and heavy enough to make the tree stable) then press Fimo of the appropriate color into the washer, form a hole for the tree by pressing it into the Fimo and then cook the washer/fimo as called for in Fimo directions. You can either paint it all or spread the Fimo over the base too...that allows you to texture the base, even adding tree roots if that tree type calls for it. Then glue tree in. Not only is it stable on the table, but when stored in a box with magnetic sheet in the bottom, very stable in storage.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:59 pm

astolat wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 pm
Oldent, the humanish teeth on the one on the left in the last one are nightmare-worthy, lol.
:D

Vampire teeth
They work well with paper rolls the unfinished smoke projector in the rear uses plastic forks as fangs.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Oldent, the humanish teeth on the one on the left in the last one are nightmare-worthy, lol.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm

I want to add it is a good idea to organize a bits box. Some items are not available all year and best purchased at discount or in bulk.

Halloween spider rings and bats

Bones and skulls

textures and extra cast detail parts

You most likely will have some left.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... gLIWvD_BwE

link for tin caps

I like the tin caps because they are thin. These are old Mage knight figures modified with Woodland Scenic tree armatures. I needed 24 for a LOTR scenario.

Paper towel roll and hot glue

If you make the large trees from PVC they make nice smoke projectors.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:12 am

I don't have pictures handy, but I buy a few sizes of washers in bulk packs from the big box hardware stores. I attach my greenery or other terrain bit with a wee bit of hot glue, then if needed dress the base up with a bit of PVA. I then paint the base and/or flock it or add texture with sand or small stones. They look really nice at table distance, they have enough heft to sit in place, they are very low cost (small bags are around a buck each and bulk boxes can be about 5), and they are the right size to rapidly arrange things in most convenient arrangements. I will also occasionally use a larger washer with a few plants attached. Lasty, while I don't use magnets for storage myself, you can get the cheap magnetic sheets from a craft store which will keep them from scooting around in a drawer.

I buy railroad stuff when it is a good price (s and ho scales primarily, sometimes some things in o are okay), Amazon, Ali express, and Wish.com all have various trees and plants for cheap if you shop around a bit. I too also raid the craft stores when things are on discount or I have a coupon. The "animal tubes" they have at Joannes and Michaels have a few varieties that are very useful. They have a dinosaur skull one that makes for decent dragon skulls for 25-28mm, a sea creatures one that you can mount on small stands, there is actually a dragon one for small dragons, a bug one for giant insects (a must for any fantasy jungle), etc. The tubes are usually ten bucks, but you can buy them with 50-70% off coupons. As others have posted, a lot of the mini decor those places carry can also be used, sometimes with minimal work done to it.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 am

I wish the craft shops here in Japan had stuff like that. I will check and maybe I can get a few gems too.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Love posts like this!

Very cool ideas guys.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:02 pm

zenako wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm
Found something similar at Joanne's

https://www.joann.com/boxwood-mat-x300- ... od&start=1

This type of product can be found in many floral sections in shops like these. I found mine for real cheap on clearance for like 75% off. I grabbed all they had at the time a few years back.
I will stop by Joanne's later in the week :D

June and I stopped by Micheal's on the way back from lunch. Some of the Spring line is on the shelf.I liked the water fall. There were some nice mushrooms too.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

AS we are not as crafty as some here and for our trees we glue them to GW style mini bases which are either weighed down with a penny coin or putty inserted onto the bottom of the base.

We pick the smallest base that the tree will sit on
hope the picture shows what we mean :)

We have the intention of painting it to match the tree roots. We are also considering adding some greenstuff to the edges to breakup the clean lines.

For your Palm trees you could drill a hole in the base and as previously suggested glue a washer to the bottom.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Found something similar at Joanne's

https://www.joann.com/boxwood-mat-x300- ... od&start=1

This type of product can be found in many floral sections in shops like these. I found mine for real cheap on clearance for like 75% off. I grabbed all they had at the time a few years back.