BotM and Alternate Builds

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: BotM and Alternate Builds

Post by zenako » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:32 pm

Trollface wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:27 pm And the axiom, there is always someone on the forum who types faster than me ;)
It's just working from home this past year....and keeping a web tab open on the forums most of the day as a distraction.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 am

William wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm Hope the weave of the curtain isn't to large, guess I'll know when it arrives.
Your last background looks foldable and also appears to have industrial pipes and plumbing on the left end. Am I seeing that correctly?

Your castle iterations are awesome. :)

Someday :( I'll cave and get the Castle Walls and Gate, but that'll be a few years off. With what I do have, I can still build a small castle. Just wish they sold the Gate without the side castle walls. There is one unpainted on eBay, but it's a bit high for my liking. Maybe they'll get tired of sitting on it and reduce the price. It was a single piece in the KS, but now it's not in store without the walls. Should have done it in KS.
Really interested in how your curtain turns out as while ours are purpose built they are not cheap and the new ones are only 6x2, our original one which is in the later pictures is 8x2 and the size we built the supporting MDF boards that we clip the backdrops to.

So yes it is more industrial, the factory and pipes are a little big but it works, that backdrop was intended for our 40K cities of Death table. We used it hear because the green mountains backdrop being only 6x2 was just not big enough for all the angles we wanted and got tired of moving it around.

One of the things that puts us off the BotM is do we need a third gatehouse not counting the Hellscape one, but then it gives us more multiple wall options.

Been yinging and yanging on it as its our best opportunity of getting some more castles with the gift card offsetting the shipping.

Would also mean we would have to get some more DF in the future ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am

Rabbit Burner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 am
Been yinging and yanging on it as its our best opportunity of getting some more castles with the gift card offsetting the shipping.

Been struggling with those same demons. :twisted: :D :twisted: Fighting between what I might covet and want vs what I might really be able to use and store? :o I figure if enough other folks jump in and grab the deluxe sets first and they sell out - that could save me the anguish and have another bucket of folks with Castle needs to support future wants. :)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:50 pm

zenako wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am
Rabbit Burner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 am

Been struggling with those same demons. :twisted: :D :twisted: Fighting between what I might covet and want vs what I might really be able to use and store? :o I figure if enough other folks jump in and grab the deluxe sets first and they sell out - that could save me the anguish and have another bucket of folks with Castle needs to support future wants. :)
LOL!

Been thinking exactly the same :)

Also if we wait til the 21st and a deluxe is still there then on the CC we don't have to pay it off until June :)

Also not expecting to go too heavy in KS8
Well not as heavy as Wildlands ;)

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:47 pm

Thanks for sharing ideas about backdrops. The shower curtain idea is nice too, though looks like the scale will be difficult to incorporate.

A scene of the interior of woods would be nice for a Dreadhollow build.

I was looking for some cavern backdrops and found this, perhaps the tapestry is too flimsy a material - they have shower curtains that cost more.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:18 pm

So with some story developments with our eldest Son, we are now looking at getting some Caverns!

And will need a suitable backdrop.

So the ones we have used have some scale issues, but as your mind is focussed on the build you forgive the massive scale inconsistencies of the backdrop

That cavern backdrop is huge, your biggest issue will be how to use it. The backdrops we have been using are 24" tall, which is about right as you can still work around them and though a pain is manoeuvrable enough to slide around the table.
We clip ours to hinged panels of MDF of the same height.

We are also on the look out for a Dungeon backdrop.

But for both dungeons and caverns with limited verticality , just a simple grey or black backdrop may well do the trick.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:15 am

First off -- great build, RB! I love seeing the Space Marines on the ramparts, too. But just in general that's a really awesome fortress.

As for the backdrops -- I actually think it would be easier to find backdrops for Castles than for a lot of other things. I was looking around for backdrops for action figure photos recently and I was really struggling to find anything in the small scale. Lots of backdrops for shelves meant to display 12" figures, but nothing smaller. What I DID see as I hunted was tons and tons of options for backdrops for instagram-type photoshoots at parties -- large hanging cloth backdrops that are like 5'x7', with tons of images available, for under $30.

I'm ALMOST JUST BARELY considering it myself. It's a tough call.

After taking some pics of the Dreadhollow pieces out in my backyard, I have this daydream that one day I'll take my entire DF Castle collection to a local park and try to do a photoshoot. It's an idle dream, because (a) lugging it all over is a pain; (2) I'm not even sure where I'd go, since there aren't that many places that would work in terms of providing a realistic background that wouldn't seem out of scale, or for that matter where I wouldn't have benches or buildings or playgrounds in the shot -- castles are so big, and the whole point of this would be to be able to get the whole thing in a frame rather than just an isolated close-up, which means that you're pulling back far enough to see a LOT of what else is there, making it really hard to avoid whatever's 200 feet away. Add to this the awkwardness of dealing with curious passersby, the need to get the weather just right and the sun in just the right place in the sky (which I wouldn't even know without trying first, so this would really involve going at like three different times of day to see which works best, and that's assuming that the sun's position in the sky lines up perfectly with whatever backdrop I wanted without backlighting things). Add to ALL THIS the headache of getting it all ready only to have my camera battery promptly die...... it's a big deal.

A big backdrop would solve a lot of this. I could either use it inside and skip the whole hassle, or I could just go out in my own backyard with a backdrop and get exterior lighting with no worries about backdrops and not having to worry about lugging it all elsewhere. I could even theoretically leave it out all day and take some sample pics at various times to see what lighting works best before going all-out once I have a clearer sense of what works best.

I do really like the idea of shooting castles (and maybe even cities) outside. The natural lighting changes the feel of the photos so much, and DF has such great detail it works wonders. It looks all the more real in natural light. Castles are so hard to shoot if you want them to look real (as opposed to a photo of a layout in a gaming room, which is also a fun shot but not what I'm talking about). And a photo done from ground level looking up as the sun hits the ramparts.... man, that would be sweet.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:34 am

From a DooFer we consider to be at the top end of Master Builder scale, thank you Law :)

Backdrops have always been an issue for us, outside has too many other issues, including the UK weather. So decided earlier we have to look at taking decent pictures indoors.

To that end we have added for brighter real daylight overhead lamps on movable mounts so we can adjust the light and shadows. Unfortunately we have yet to lightproof the games room so sunlight interferes during the day making alight control more difficult.

We tried using white felt hung around the table to hide all the clutter

We then thought we could photoshop the pictures fairly easily given the background is now one colour

While we are happy with the above and it is simple to do, but damn it takes a shed load of time!

Too much for our liking :( so backdrops seemed an obvious choice and we had this one for a number of years until we recently came up with the MDF hinged boards to clip it to. It is 8 feet by 2 feet and does the job without being a precise match for the subject matter.

But we have found that matching is not that important as long as it does not distract which we believe it does not

So we looked at other back drops from the same firm, they had some more but changed sizing to 6x2 feet which was disappointing.

But they look pretty good, though only used the grasslands one in anger

We have an ice, volcanic and desert ones for future projects :)

Our next issue is we need something for caverns and dungeons, we have used Elevation trays for dungeons

Dungeon photographing you can get away with more close ups as you are not supposed to see over the walls ;)

Starved Hound
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Starved Hound » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Great pics Rabbit. Where is that middle eastern/asian cave entrance/statue from?
The Starved Hound has only just now evolved to run on all fours, like the animal that he is. Currently possess over 1800 pieces of Valoria

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Living in the Seattle area, I've never considered going outside to take pics..., too wet. :lol:
and when it comes to dungeons or underground environs, as in high fashion, Basic Black is best and always has been. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”