Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
Valorian_Seneschal
Orc
Orc

Re: Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

Post by Valorian_Seneschal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

Nina, Valorian Seneschal

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:31 am

Fascinating to see different DooFers opinions on Hellscape, specifically on how it can be used.

The pictures show a good sized encounter with a lot of unique sculpts. We think it will be functional for most needs or at least part of it - certainly for us a lava river :)

Agree with As will be very interested to see these without the backlight.

The backlight itself will be fascinating to see what is on offer in regards to size and power requirements.

For skirmish games we think the encounter we see can be used. Could see a house rule that two turns on lava results in a wound taken. That will upset the Imperial Guard players :D
John D wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 am
Problem we have with what we see is that its not terrain you can use for wargamming (W40K) you cannot stand on lava easily ;).
The Emperor never said it would be easy.
Rabbit Burner wrote:
For RPG you can have an entire lava field with a few islands of safety, the party have to use their ingenuity to move across and avoid/battle all the lava monsters. But to provide a balanced battlefield for two complete armies is not really an option.
Don't you have Jet packs? ;)
Sure, large scale armies could be an issue - but I also play skirmish wargames like Hell Dorado (considerably smaller forces) and I'm psyched for a modular Lava Battlefield (for player vs player).
Rabbit Burner wrote:
We like the idea of a battlefield with lots of line of sight but with lava pools and rivers restricting movement. A little niche but could be interesting.
Niche, but nice. I think this set up will be very memorable to the players no matter which game it's supporting.

It's a Lava Asteroid of strategic significance - the Emperor wants to put gun platforms there - Move Out!
We mostly play DeathGuard so no jetpacks or flyers just slow inexorable march across the battlefield, much emphasis on the slowww. Did Start playing Necrons and they have hovering vehicles :)

So you can take your Carrion Emperor and stick him on the Throne!!!

#excitedforhellscape
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Problem we have with what we see is that its not terrain you can use for wargamming (W40K) you cannot stand on lava easily ;).
The Emperor never said it would be easy.
Rabbit Burner wrote:
For RPG you can have an entire lava field with a few islands of safety, the party have to use their ingenuity to move across and avoid/battle all the lava monsters. But to provide a balanced battlefield for two complete armies is not really an option.
Don't you have Jet packs? ;)
Sure, large scale armies could be an issue - but I also play skirmish wargames like Hell Dorado (considerably smaller forces) and I'm psyched for a modular Lava Battlefield (for player vs player).
Rabbit Burner wrote:
We like the idea of a battlefield with lots of line of sight but with lava pools and rivers restricting movement. A little niche but could be interesting.
Niche, but nice. I think this set up will be very memorable to the players no matter which game it's supporting.

It's a Lava Asteroid of strategic significance - the Emperor wants to put gun platforms there - Move Out!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm
realarete wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm
I need it to be functional. Its not close to being functional for anything I'd need it for. Pretty stuff but where do you stand :? I feel like the awe factor is surpassing the fuctional factor .
Hopefully they have some cooled lava rafts/rocks so they can be used just like rocks/stepping stones in the water sets.
I plan to make use of the natural bridges from my caverns :!: The mountain elevation will come in handy too :!: I think you will find this is going to be a very useful set.

I am not likely to use every tile in every set up. I will use them.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 pm

realarete wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm
I need it to be functional. Its not close to being functional for anything I'd need it for. Pretty stuff but where do you stand :? I feel like the awe factor is surpassing the fuctional factor .
Hopefully they have some cooled lava rafts/rocks so they can be used just like rocks/stepping stones in the water sets.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:

A few pieces for impassable terrain will work, a lava river or moat can be happily used with a feeder volcano. So we expect to pledge for a few bits :)

We dont expect this, maybe in KS7 but we do appreciate it may not be everyone cup of tea.
Yeah I mentioned this when I first saw the Huge Hellscape layout. Its really nice looking, but I need it to be functional. Its not close to being functional for anything I'd need it for. Pretty stuff but where do you stand :? I feel like the awe factor is surpassing the fuctional factor .. based on these pictures at least. Going to stick with some island on the lava terrain tray.

Too hot for me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Valorian_Seneschal wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 am
We were excited to read a lot of your hopes because they are things we are already actively trying to do! This is our first shot at doing something smaller and more manageable so we are really hoping we can find it to be sustainable. Really looking forward to launch and hearing what you all think.

You hear the distant sounds of heavy metal music. Is...is it getting louder?! Something wicked this way comes.
👹🔥 Join us on June 16th at high noon when all Hell will break loose. 🔥 👹
Excellent. Things seem to be cooking in the right direction. I have even been listening to a lot to Ozzies' Boneyard on Sirius the past few weeks to get in the mood...

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Those lava banks should work well for transition from whatever-to-lava. Maybe I can get just a bit of lava to integrate into my other sets?

Please post videos and photos showing integration of lava and prior sets.

I want to see Hellscape-meets-Valoria:

I also want to see Hellscape-meets-Dreadhollow:

Thanks!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm excited to see them in better detail without a light underneath them and see if they look good without a backlight.

I also wonder if the backlight will be a separate option or not. I'm guessing the base set will come with one, add-on packs will not, and then additional backlight trays can be purchased separately.

I also think we'll get a non-magnetic plastic lava tray that glows with the backlight, as per photos we've seen.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:21 am

We were excited to read a lot of your hopes because they are things we are already actively trying to do! This is our first shot at doing something smaller and more manageable so we are really hoping we can find it to be sustainable. Really looking forward to launch and hearing what you all think.

You hear the distant sounds of heavy metal music. Is...is it getting louder?! Something wicked this way comes.
👹🔥 Join us on June 16th at high noon when all Hell will break loose. 🔥 👹
Awesome news indeed and very excited for the smaller, more targeted Kickstarter.

This picture feels like a good size and layout for an Encounter set and I can see myself grabbing it, assuming the price is in line with Ice Caverns or maybe Dreadhallow. Depending on the available add ons, I might supplement with one or two of those too expand my options.

Other factor is whether I decide to keep my existing lava caverns or sell them and replace with this. Selling would free up some funds and give me more flexibility in my pledge.

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”