Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Kickstarter Updates
Go to bottomPage: 1...3456789...13
TOPIC: Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!!
#66112
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
RCG wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fizzikx wrote:


Who knows exactly how it went down but i'd bet something like this:

Stefan: Hey Factory, can we make these clear waterfall tiles?
Factory: Sure but if you can make other pieces out of that too it would make more economic sense
Stefan: Really now? .... ICE CAVERNS!
Factory: Sure but we need to know in a week if you want to ship these with the rest of your backers orders...

Thus the ensuing short timeframe... again I could be totally off base but it sure dosent feel far off.


I doubt this, as throughout the whole Caverns campaign people wanted ice sets to go with their lava sets and neither Stefan or Jeff ever really acknowledged us wanting ice. People (including me) speculated it was because they were wondering if clear dwarvenite was possible and they didn't want to do it 1) opaque if clear is possible or 2) promise it without samples but then couldn't deliver.

I'm assuming they've been working on this for months, got samples that looked good, decided they could do the product, and figured people's wallets may have recovered some so they can get a few more $ from us before the sets ship but need to know soon if they want to ship on time. Nothing surprising or crazy and it all makes sense.


...ICE RIVER!


Hi all new here to the forum but not to Dwarven Forge sets, (proud owner!). Love, absolutely love the designs.

This post on the the factory molds caught my attention and while I know it is just speculation has it been confirmed absolutely that Dwarven Forge will be releasing the clear tiles?

If so check TerrainTechGames.com The company is offering a new wireless lighting system this month for board game tiles and miniatures that does not require battery's so all the clear tiles could be individually lit by LED. Do you think the folks at Dwarven Forge would be interested in this?


Thanks for that link, it's very cool! LEDs, yummmmmm! ;-)
... it set me on a 45 minute tangent looking up induction since I figure that's the only way they could build a "wireless" system like that.

Here's a related cool and interesting link I came across in my tangent:
www.kokes.net/projectlonghaul/projectlonghaul.htm - wireless induction engagement ring with LEDs that light up when near an inducer.

I'm definitely getting me some lizard men and ice caverns... ok, probably not me, but the hopefully the wife since I'm kinda broke.

btw, can Stefan or someone else confirm if these will make an appearance at GenCon?... and be available for sale? My wife and I are making our first pilgrimage there in August and we'd be in a better financial position to buy some then, considering the small window to purchase through fundafull.
jchunick
Ogre
Posts: 768
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Random Roll Location: Thunder Bay Birthday: 05/14
Last Edit: 2014/07/11 07:15 By jchunick.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Proud Father of two mini-geeks; Daughter: "Dad, what does that say?" (after enchanting a diamond sword in Minecraft).
Me: "Sharpness 1, Knockback 1"
Daughter: "Oh man, that's sweet!"
 
#66113
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
admin posted in the KS comments section that ALL pieces will make an appearance in the WebStore in Nov.

Also said that they only have limited samples of them. they should have a few to see at GenCon, but I doubt any to actually sell.
JenneyOC
Orc
Posts: 171
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66115
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Installing LEDs or adding a wireless induction lighting system sounds really, really cool...but I think I'm going to try something a little simpler.

Overhead blacklight, perhaps.

Or, in the future, maybe I can pick up a cheap old tablet PC. Change the screen to an appropriate shade of blue (or other colors), dim it a bit, set the ice caverns on top, and cover any other parts of the screen with black felt (maybe with solid dwarven forge caverns elevation blocks on top of the felt).
Mydienon
Goblin
Posts: 28
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66118
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
jchunick wrote:
RCG wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fizzikx wrote:


Who knows exactly how it went down but i'd bet something like this:

Stefan: Hey Factory, can we make these clear waterfall tiles?
Factory: Sure but if you can make other pieces out of that too it would make more economic sense
Stefan: Really now? .... ICE CAVERNS!
Factory: Sure but we need to know in a week if you want to ship these with the rest of your backers orders...

Thus the ensuing short timeframe... again I could be totally off base but it sure dosent feel far off.


I doubt this, as throughout the whole Caverns campaign people wanted ice sets to go with their lava sets and neither Stefan or Jeff ever really acknowledged us wanting ice. People (including me) speculated it was because they were wondering if clear dwarvenite was possible and they didn't want to do it 1) opaque if clear is possible or 2) promise it without samples but then couldn't deliver.

I'm assuming they've been working on this for months, got samples that looked good, decided they could do the product, and figured people's wallets may have recovered some so they can get a few more $ from us before the sets ship but need to know soon if they want to ship on time. Nothing surprising or crazy and it all makes sense.


...ICE RIVER!


Hi all new here to the forum but not to Dwarven Forge sets, (proud owner!). Love, absolutely love the designs.

This post on the the factory molds caught my attention and while I know it is just speculation has it been confirmed absolutely that Dwarven Forge will be releasing the clear tiles?

If so check TerrainTechGames.com The company is offering a new wireless lighting system this month for board game tiles and miniatures that does not require battery's so all the clear tiles could be individually lit by LED. Do you think the folks at Dwarven Forge would be interested in this?


Thanks for that link, it's very cool! LEDs, yummmmmm! ;-)
... it set me on a 45 minute tangent looking up induction since I figure that's the only way they could build a "wireless" system like that.

Here's a related cool and interesting link I came across in my tangent:
www.kokes.net/projectlonghaul/projectlonghaul.htm - wireless induction engagement ring with LEDs that light up when near an inducer.

I'm definitely getting me some lizard men and ice caverns... ok, probably not me, but the hopefully the wife since I'm kinda broke.

btw, can Stefan or someone else confirm if these will make an appearance at GenCon?... and be available for sale? My wife and I are making our first pilgrimage there in August and we'd be in a better financial position to buy some then, considering the small window to purchase through fundafull.


I was keeping under the radar about it, but I've been working on a wireless lighting solution for some months now (hinted at in a few of my earlier posts). My progress has been slow and painful and I'd be just as happy to buy something from Terrain Tech if they come up with the right solution at the right price.

And just to add to the "teaser" aspect a bit Josh, induction is only one solution and while it was the first one I looked at, I threw it out pretty quickly due to some design constraints I didn't like and moved onto something I like even better. Sadly I haven't been able to get my "improved" solution to work yet, but still playing around with it. :D
ebrandeis
Goblin
Posts: 69
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Seattle, WA
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66119
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
kitenerd wrote:
I am so glad that the clear dwarvenite worked and i look forward to Stefan exploiting this new option to the fullest... but PLEASE, let our wallets recover!




I was all set to add two sets of Ice Caverns, then I looked at my wallet and I sadly will not be able to.

Stefan, I really hope the sales are good enough to keep them being made so I can get some in the future because they look great.
kodiakbear
Orc
Posts: 363
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Birthday: 12/11
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66123
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Has there been any word on how exactly these are exclusive to Kickstarter backers? Are these specifically like the Chamber of Sorrows? I'd love these to stay in stock, particularly the minis.
Audles
Goblin
Posts: 64
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66126
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
ebrandeis wrote:
jchunick wrote:
RCG wrote:
AnimeSensei wrote:
Fizzikx wrote:


Who knows exactly how it went down but i'd bet something like this:

Stefan: Hey Factory, can we make these clear waterfall tiles?
Factory: Sure but if you can make other pieces out of that too it would make more economic sense
Stefan: Really now? .... ICE CAVERNS!
Factory: Sure but we need to know in a week if you want to ship these with the rest of your backers orders...

Thus the ensuing short timeframe... again I could be totally off base but it sure dosent feel far off.


I doubt this, as throughout the whole Caverns campaign people wanted ice sets to go with their lava sets and neither Stefan or Jeff ever really acknowledged us wanting ice. People (including me) speculated it was because they were wondering if clear dwarvenite was possible and they didn't want to do it 1) opaque if clear is possible or 2) promise it without samples but then couldn't deliver.

I'm assuming they've been working on this for months, got samples that looked good, decided they could do the product, and figured people's wallets may have recovered some so they can get a few more $ from us before the sets ship but need to know soon if they want to ship on time. Nothing surprising or crazy and it all makes sense.


...ICE RIVER!


Hi all new here to the forum but not to Dwarven Forge sets, (proud owner!). Love, absolutely love the designs.

This post on the the factory molds caught my attention and while I know it is just speculation has it been confirmed absolutely that Dwarven Forge will be releasing the clear tiles?

If so check TerrainTechGames.com The company is offering a new wireless lighting system this month for board game tiles and miniatures that does not require battery's so all the clear tiles could be individually lit by LED. Do you think the folks at Dwarven Forge would be interested in this?


Thanks for that link, it's very cool! LEDs, yummmmmm! ;-)
... it set me on a 45 minute tangent looking up induction since I figure that's the only way they could build a "wireless" system like that.

Here's a related cool and interesting link I came across in my tangent:
www.kokes.net/projectlonghaul/projectlonghaul.htm - wireless induction engagement ring with LEDs that light up when near an inducer.

I'm definitely getting me some lizard men and ice caverns... ok, probably not me, but the hopefully the wife since I'm kinda broke.

btw, can Stefan or someone else confirm if these will make an appearance at GenCon?... and be available for sale? My wife and I are making our first pilgrimage there in August and we'd be in a better financial position to buy some then, considering the small window to purchase through fundafull.


I was keeping under the radar about it, but I've been working on a wireless lighting solution for some months now (hinted at in a few of my earlier posts). My progress has been slow and painful and I'd be just as happy to buy something from Terrain Tech if they come up with the right solution at the right price.

And just to add to the "teaser" aspect a bit Josh, induction is only one solution and while it was the first one I looked at, I threw it out pretty quickly due to some design constraints I didn't like and moved onto something I like even better. Sadly I haven't been able to get my "improved" solution to work yet, but still playing around with it. :D


You are a tease!... looking into it further I'm seeing that radio waves can produce enough energy to power an LED... so that could be another way to wirelessly light LEDs. That would require a central radio transmission box plugged in and producing radio waves in the MHz (or GHz?) range?
jchunick
Ogre
Posts: 768
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Random Roll Location: Thunder Bay Birthday: 05/14
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Proud Father of two mini-geeks; Daughter: "Dad, what does that say?" (after enchanting a diamond sword in Minecraft).
Me: "Sharpness 1, Knockback 1"
Daughter: "Oh man, that's sweet!"
 
#66127
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
It looks like I will only be able to get 1 set of lizard men...I was hoping to get 2 sets of ice caverns and a set each of the minis but my big check come 4 days after the deadline...
Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Orc
Posts: 384
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66129
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
My thoughts with the clear material is make the river pieces in blue, clear, red, and green clear. We can then paint the grey on much easier, and add a little drybrusing to make water, ice, slime, lava rivers that look most sweet!

I'm a bid sad I pledged for the standard river pieces after seeing what's possible with the clear stuff now.

It's basically what I was begging for the last 2 KS.....
Thorshammer
Goblin
Posts: 30
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66130
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
If clear is possible, it would be GREAT if all future sets had runs in various colors for restocking purposes of unpainted sets. For example: 65% of the next dungeons game tiles set's restock in dungeon gray, 20% in clear, and 15% in a lava base color. Not everyone wants the different color, but there would be some that would. The molds are already made, the only difference really is probably the sticker on the box and the dye in the plastic.
AnimeSensei
MBS and Catacombs in Dwarvenite, please!
Orc
Posts: 405
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: South Weber, UT Birthday: 12/19
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66132
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Audles wrote:
Has there been any word on how exactly these are exclusive to Kickstarter backers? Are these specifically like the Chamber of Sorrows? I'd love these to stay in stock, particularly the minis.


The ability to preorder them is exclusive to KS backers. If you didn't participate in the Kickstarter, you don't have a Fundaful account to add funds to.

The advantage is that people who preorder are assured of getting their sets. Everyone else will have to compete to buy from the online store before the inventory sells out.
jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2652
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: USA
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#66140
Re:Holy Polar Bears! - We have ICE CAVERNS coming!!!! 3 Months, 1 Week ago  
Fizzikx wrote:
artcwolf wrote:
I wish they would give us until August 3rd to order. I won't have spare $ this paycheck and i'm pissed about that.

I want the ice stuff, but d i'm going to miss the exclusive because of this.

Jeff and Stefan please please please give us until the 3rd of august I'll be able to order 2 sets.


While I cant be sure about this, I would imagine Jeff & Stefan would want to give us as much time as possible to finalize our orders, however, as this seems (to me at least) to be a last minute afterthough perhaps the factory needs final answers by a set date to meet shipping deadlines.

Who knows exactly how it went down but i'd bet something like this:

Stefan: Hey Factory, can we make these clear waterfall tiles?
Factory: Sure but if you can make other pieces out of that too it would make more economic sense
Stefan: Really now? .... ICE CAVERNS!
Factory: Sure but we need to know in a week if you want to ship these with the rest of your backers orders...

Thus the ensuing short timeframe... again I could be totally off base but it sure dosent feel far off.

When I was in China I brought it up with the factory guys...can you make clear PVC and the answer was yes, but it's a hassle, we have to clean the molds after the regular production and it's a bit more expensive without color, etc...they were not willing to do so without good numbers of orders, etc...then we went out to lunch and did some heavy drinking in a private VIP type place....they promised to try something and send me samples which I eventually got a few weeks ago...we were only going to do 3 basic cavern pieces, also because it's cheaper, but I went and convinced them and us that we should do 10 various pieces:) We only have a short time because production is in full swing now...I approved all metal molds like 3 days ago and they are now cranking them out...we don't want to make any risks to delivery in November so we have to wrap all orders up in 10 days or so...as it is we begged them to let us postpone the numbers of ice caverns, and miniatures until 10 or so more days....ice caverns are selling great! Thanks everyone! The new paint colours are not selling very well I am afraid, I am not sure why because they are really great colors and a great value at 4oz a color....most miniature paint colours are like 1/2 or 1 oz...these are top of the line paints for very little money....so unfortunately, we will get stuck with a great quantity of paint in the inventory....but I hope we can sell them little by little in the next few years...please pick some up later folks, our profit in new miniatures will probably be killed because we are offering so many colours we could not sell....lol....miniature sales are OK but not super...I wish i could show you these mini's in person, the paint jobs are outstanding for such a low price, and you can throw them in a bucket like plastic army men without a worry of them breaking....I too wish we had more time to sell them, but no fear, we will have them for sale later...don't mistake them with the other Resin miniatures we still have left over...these are dwarvenite! Thank you very much everybody, I hope you love these new creations as much as I
Stefan
Admin
Posts: 2176
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Brooklyn, NY Birthday: 12/25
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Stefan Pokorny

CEO Dwarven Forge, LLC
 
Go to topPage: 1...3456789...13