Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Listed Game Tiles price seems high?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Listed Game Tiles price seems high?
#56729
Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
I see that you have the game tiles listed at $95 per set. This is only $14 cheaper than the regular room set. With the room set you get:

10 corners
13 Walls
4 doors
12 floor tiles
1 floor pit piece
Total: 40 pieces for $109 plus shipping

The new game tile set has:

6 corners
12 walls
11 floor tiles
2 doors

Total: 31 pieces for $95 plus shipping

So per piece the regular room set is $2.73 per set. The new dwarvenite line is $3.06 per piece. With shipping the regular line comes to $3.23 per piece and the dwarvenite line (assuming roughly $10 to ship) becomes $3.38.

Assuming these will be the prices I am having a hard time understanding where the cost savings is? Am I missing something? I realize that the new dwarvenite is more convenient to store - however, that wasn't the implied goal behind the kickstarter video.

I really wish I wasn't forced to back out of the kickstarter :-(
jericho
Ogre
Posts: 531
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Silver Spring, MD Birthday: 12/13
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Follow my misadventures on MY BLOG!
 
#56730
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
A few thoughts...

Stefan said to expect a price increase on the resin line of 10-20 dollars, so that will change the cost differences a bit.

The unpainted set at $65 is significantly cheaper.

It's the same cost per set as the Kickstarter, without stretch goals at the single set cost price point. Which is roughly where I thought they would be priced.
nielsene
Gamer, Developer, Dancer, Aerialist
Orc
Posts: 191
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: near Boston, MA
The administrator has disabled public write access.
R&P(1), Ruins(2), Cavern(4), Cavern Passage (2), Chasm (2), Ice(4), Catacombs (3), DOE R&P(1), DOE R(4), DOE WA(4), DOE E(3), HS (4), HS2(3), Woodland(2), RotA(1)
 
#56731
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
nielsene wrote:
A few thoughts...

Stefan said to expect a price increase on the resin line of 10-20 dollars, so that will change the cost differences a bit.

The unpainted set at $65 is significantly cheaper.

It's the same cost per set as the Kickstarter, without stretch goals at the single set cost price point. Which is roughly where I thought they would be priced.


Assuming a $20 dollar increase on the Rooms set from the master maze line that puts us at $3.73 per piece and only saves us a scant $0.35 per piece. To me it seems the goals of this new line haven't really been a success. The intended goal being that these sets were to be more affordable - to get those who have always wanted dwarven forge but couldn't afford the master maze line. I can't imagine the marginal price difference will sway anyone who couldn't afford master maze into buying dwarvenite (especially right now when dwarvenite seems more expensive).

Maybe there will be a bulk discount?

Edit: Doesn't seem to make sense to compare the unpainted set to a painted master maze set.
jericho
Ogre
Posts: 531
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Silver Spring, MD Birthday: 12/13
Last Edit: 2013/10/10 12:32 By jericho.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Follow my misadventures on MY BLOG!
 
#56733
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
I brought this up a few days ago. I noticed the same thing. Yur right, you can't compare unpainted dwarvinite to painted resin either. Stefan did inform me that multiple sets will see a discount though
jimibones83
Orc
Posts: 293
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#56734
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
In DF's defense though I wanna add something I didn't think of before. The claim was "the main reason behind this KS..." meaning that statement only applied to KS backers
jimibones83
Orc
Posts: 293
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#56735
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
My point on listing the price of the unpainted set was to point out that unpainted GT does offer a cheaper price point for people to enter the hobby. It lets DF be competitive with many of the other 3D vendors among people who couldn't afford/justify the higher price. This is a huge win for DF.

I almost wouldn't be surprised if DF decides to only offer unpainted GT (after the first stocking runs out) and only offer the Resin lines painted as part of the way of distinguishing the two lines -- as you say the price per piece is extremely similar.
nielsene
Gamer, Developer, Dancer, Aerialist
Orc
Posts: 191
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: near Boston, MA
The administrator has disabled public write access.
R&P(1), Ruins(2), Cavern(4), Cavern Passage (2), Chasm (2), Ice(4), Catacombs (3), DOE R&P(1), DOE R(4), DOE WA(4), DOE E(3), HS (4), HS2(3), Woodland(2), RotA(1)
 
#56736
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
jimibones83 wrote:
In DF's defense though I wanna add something I didn't think of before. The claim was "the main reason behind this KS..." meaning that statement only applied to KS backers


Surely not. I took that to mean that the point of the KS was to develop a new line that was more affordable to future customers - not, that it was only temporarily going to be affordable to KS backers. If I am wrong about that I wish there was more transparency.

Good to hear about bulk discounts though. I am excited to see what they will be.

EDIT: After all KS is a means to fund something new. If that new thing is at the same price point to a superior product that is already available - what was the point?
jericho
Ogre
Posts: 531
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Silver Spring, MD Birthday: 12/13
Last Edit: 2013/10/10 13:58 By jericho.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Follow my misadventures on MY BLOG!
 
#56737
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Durability?
dungeoncrawler
Orc
Posts: 158
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#56738
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
dungeoncrawler wrote:
Durability?


Yes they are more durable and as a result easier to store - but from the KS goals this seemed like a happy consequence of the cheaper casting material. I've never really got the impression that people were not buying master maze because of durability or storage complaints - it has always been about price.

Anyway, I am probably being slightly too hostile here because when the KS was going on, I was heavily supportive of it and had pledged for 5 painted sets plus lots of extras, but due to unforeseen economic difficulties I had to back out. This decision was made in part because I was under the impression that when the Dwarvenite line finally hit the regular store, I would be able to buy those 5 sets for much cheaper than the master maze line, albeit slightly more expensive than the KS price. I never would have thought that the new Dwarvenite line would be the same price.
jericho
Ogre
Posts: 531
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Silver Spring, MD Birthday: 12/13
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Follow my misadventures on MY BLOG!
 
#56739
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
Like any product with a high "fixed" up front cost the more items you produce the cheaper they become.

The Dwarvenite line is to broaden the appeal of DF. If it succeeds then the cost of the moulds is amortised over a greater number of pieces. You still have production and shipping costs but the hope is that the KS will allow DF to bring down prices slightly, which will hopefully bring it into the price range of more buyers, who in turn buy more pieces and hopefully allow DF to reduce the prices again slightly.

The Accountant in me is showing.
maximillian
Goblin
Posts: 63
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#56740
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
jericho wrote:
jimibones83 wrote:
In DF's defense though I wanna add something I didn't think of before. The claim was "the main reason behind this KS..." meaning that statement only applied to KS backers


Surely not. I took that to mean that the point of the KS was to develop a new line that was more affordable to future customers - not, that it was only temporarily going to be affordable to KS backers. If I am wrong about that I wish there was more transparency.

Good to hear about bulk discounts though. I am excited to see what they will be.

EDIT: After all KS is a means to fund something new. If that new thing is at the same price point to a superior product that is already available - what was the point?
I see no other logical explanation. I took it that way too and that's why I was upset. Obviously they didn't mean it that way though because that value is not available to us as it was KS backers with all theit bonus items. Yur right, there should have been more transparency. As for the discount on multiples, I believe they will be the same price as KS so you can check out that page. They have prices for 1,2,3,5, and 10 sets I believe
jimibones83
Orc
Posts: 293
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#56741
Re:Listed Game Tiles price seems high? 1 Year, 2 Months ago  
maximillian wrote:
...You still have production and shipping costs but the hope is that the KS will allow DF to bring down prices slightly, which will hopefully bring it into the price range of more buyers, who in turn buy more pieces and hopefully allow DF to reduce the prices again slightly...


As of what is officially listed right now though the KS did not reduce the price from the Master Maze line. The Dwarvenite room set is more expensive than the Master Maze line per piece. So the prices weren't even brought down slightly. If, because of the cost of resin, the prices did go up on the Master Maze line by $20 the Master Maze becomes marginally more expensive but it is hard for me to believe that this would sway anyone who isn't already willing to buy the MM line to by the Dwarvenite line.
jericho
Ogre
Posts: 531
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Silver Spring, MD Birthday: 12/13
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Follow my misadventures on MY BLOG!
 
Go to topPage: 1234