Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Greatest Advice for Players
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Greatest Advice for Players
#44970
Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
I'm thinking of starting next week a workshop teaching gamers how to be a great roleplayer. Our association already has a workshop going on how to teach gamers how to be a great DM. What are your favorite three websites that teach someone how to be a great player? Do you know of any books on the subject?

I'm thinking one or two tips per one hour training session should be enough for one meeting?
monkplayer
Orc
Posts: 484
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
"Keep the Dice Rollin,"
 
#44994
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
www.happyjacks.org is the home of Happy Jacks RPG podcast. They are irreverant and use profanity liberally but the advice for players and GMs is excellent. You can get the back catalog, or backlog as they say, on itunes as well.
The format that eventually comes after a few episodes is answering listener email about player and gm problems and discussion of playing in various systems. I have always found something worthwhile even when a system I do not play is discussed.
There is an early episode, number four or five I think, when they interview an expert in improv acting that is invaluable player and gm advice.
Plus they discuss beer so that's a plus for me as well.
Arcarius2001
Ogre
Posts: 930
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: California
The administrator has disabled public write access.
aka Dwarven Ale on Facebook Old School Gamers, Old School Miniatures, and Fantasy RPG Terrain groups.
 
#45000
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Play Unsafe is a book about improv acting for roleplayers and is the best advice I know. I wrote parts of the Player's Strategy Guide for 4E D&D, and mostly just reframed things I learned from Play Unsafe.
Tavis
Kobold
Posts: 8
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
 
#45002
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_271/8108-Imagine-Your-Perfect-Arcade-Game

I think Tavis nails it down in this article regarding the old Red Box. I think Monkplayer runs Pathfinder but it still applies. Go get the basic game and let them cut their teeth on that. As the gm, adjudicate with rulings, not rules, during the game. Keep the flow and fun going, go check the rules after the game. Once the players are comfortable with a basic rules set, bring them into the full rules. Or not. I am acyually going more basic next campaign.

Tavis, thanks for the link to Play Unsafe. I hadn't heard of it but am definitely buying it.
Arcarius2001
Ogre
Posts: 930
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: California
The administrator has disabled public write access.
aka Dwarven Ale on Facebook Old School Gamers, Old School Miniatures, and Fantasy RPG Terrain groups.
 
#45003
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Arcarius2001
Ogre
Posts: 930
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: California
The administrator has disabled public write access.
aka Dwarven Ale on Facebook Old School Gamers, Old School Miniatures, and Fantasy RPG Terrain groups.
 
#45008
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Tavis wrote:
Play Unsafe is a book about improv acting for roleplayers and is the best advice I know. I wrote parts of the Player's Strategy Guide for 4E D&D, and mostly just reframed things I learned from Play Unsafe.


I'm going to get this book. You're the second person to recommended it.
monkplayer
Orc
Posts: 484
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
"Keep the Dice Rollin,"
 
#45009
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Arcarius2001 wrote:
www.happyjacks.org is the home of Happy Jacks RPG podcast. They are irreverant and use profanity liberally but the advice for players and GMs is excellent. You can get the back catalog, or backlog as they say, on itunes as well.
The format that eventually comes after a few episodes is answering listener email about player and gm problems and discussion of playing in various systems. I have always found something worthwhile even when a system I do not play is discussed.
There is an early episode, number four or five I think, when they interview an expert in improv acting that is invaluable player and gm advice.
Plus they discuss beer so that's a plus for me as well.


I'll check out the podcast. Hopefully, I can stand the profanity (a "ticklish" point for me). I will look up that 4-5 podcast first though. I'm not good at all with improv and that's definitely a mark of a great DM.
monkplayer
Orc
Posts: 484
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
"Keep the Dice Rollin,"
 
#45010
Re:Greatest Advice for Players 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Arcarius2001 wrote:
www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_271/8108-Imagine-Your-Perfect-Arcade-Game

I think Tavis nails it down in this article regarding the old Red Box. I think Monkplayer runs Pathfinder but it still applies. Go get the basic game and let them cut their teeth on that. As the gm, adjudicate with rulings, not rules, during the game. Keep the flow and fun going, go check the rules after the game. Once the players are comfortable with a basic rules set, bring them into the full rules. Or not. I am acyually going more basic next campaign.

Tavis, thanks for the link to Play Unsafe. I hadn't heard of it but am definitely buying it.


You know this was what I was thinking about. Keeping it simple for "newb" players and concentrate on them hving without getting complicated.
monkplayer
Orc
Posts: 484
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.
"Keep the Dice Rollin,"
 
Go to topPage: 1
Your Cart:
0 Items Order Total: $0.00

0 Product
$0.00



Login to see your account info

Once you login you will be able to see your different account areas here, order history, shipping information and your account information.