Report on dice4hire's Japanese black foam blocks

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Report on dice4hire's Japanese black foam blocks

Post by biowizard » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm

In this thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9086&hilit=block), dice4hire graciously offered to buy black foam blocks from a Japanese company that would not otherwise make international shipments and reship them to fellow DF enthusiasts at cost + 10% to cover his expense. I think he might be willing to do so again if you contact him by personal messages on this board and ask nicely. The present thread is to report on the fantastic transaction I just completed with him.

I bought 50 blocks for a total of $125 US, including shipping from Japan to Canada, PayPal fees, yen to USD conversion rate and dice4hire's 10%. This means that each block costs $2,50 each when you buy that many.

The blocks' dimensions are precisely 50 mm high * 100 mm wide * 200 mm long (as measured by my ruler, not 1 mm more, not 1 mm less) which is super close to 2" * 4" * 8". The particles of foam compressed together to form blocks are black all throughout. This is not painted foam. i.e. an eventual chip will not show as blue or white. They are quite sturdy. Using my bare hands, I feel that I could make some depressions in the foam but it would require a LOT of strength. The edges of the blocks are not rounded and they really look like bricks.

Now pictures!
black foam block 2.JPG
black foam block 2.JPG (56 KiB) Viewed 226 times
The same block upside down to show the injection traces on one surface:
black foam block 1.JPG
black foam block 1.JPG (65.21 KiB) Viewed 226 times
The width and height fits 2 standard Game Tiles:
black foam block 3.JPG
black foam block 3.JPG (92.69 KiB) Viewed 226 times
The length and height fits 4 standard Game Tiles:
black foam block 4.JPG
black foam block 4.JPG (111 KiB) Viewed 226 times
50 blocks come in a box whose dimension are perfect for storage without lost space:
black foam block 5.JPG
black foam block 5.JPG (51.67 KiB) Viewed 226 times

Thank you very much dice4hire!!!