Leaked Photo #2

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Over the years I've turned a lot of my ideas into prototypes and found that while it often worked in my head, it doesn't work the same when you actually build it.

Think of it like this:
KS1: It was a brand new process and material they were working in. Stefan kept it simple... just look at the resin dungeon sets for the difference.
KS3: It was all about cities. One wouldn't necessarily see stonework like in dungeons, aboveground in a city... I think it'd look too much like brick buildings. Also, there were now two KSes under his belt, plus much of the designs and textures are influenced by actual things in the real world.
KS4: It's all about castles. Everything is larger. The fieldstone look that you saw with the battlements in KS3 are continued and expanded upon in KS3. Besides, the 1x1 flagstone floors are essentially the common piece that ties KS4 with KS1.

While in an ideal world that mostly only lives in our own minds, everything would match perfectly, I don't think this would actually be desirable. What you would likely get is a bunch of homogeneous textures of stone that would all look the same and would, overall, tend to make things blend even more than they sometimes already do. It's a testament to Stefan's sculpting skills that the pieces have enough variety to break away from this phenomena when you have small areas of repeating textures.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks, I assume these fit the interiors; do they pierce the floor above?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 pm

As far as I know, they are not magnetic... however, let me find that out for you.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Looks like we get both right and left handed curving stairs for the round towers. I wonder if they are magnetic?

That makes me happy :D
Regards,

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm super happy about these stairs. I like this quite a bit! Echo some sentiment on new stonework vs KS1 and KS3 stonework, but that's pretty minor. Plus not everything needs to look the same - it's good to have some varying architectural points I suppose!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Jonathan wrote: There may be two sizes of round tower. A wider, "big room" tower, and a narrower "wizard's laboratory" tower
Good point... Again my rigid linear thinking
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Do they really get more narrow towards the top or is that just an optical illusion due to the angle of the picture?
Last edited by Smogma on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 pm

The stairs get wider as they go down, so the inner curve is a tighter angle than the outer curve. One reason for this may be so that the same piece could be used in different areas.

If this piece was used as inside stairs, it would be within a much wider tower than a tower where the piece would fit as outer stairs.

There may be two sizes of round tower. A wider, "big room" tower, and a narrower "wizard's laboratory" tower.

On the other hand, it may just be wider at the bottom of the stairs for balance, and narrower at the top so that the floor above doesn't need a big hole for the stairwell.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Can't be both interior and exterior curve. In order to do that the stairs would need to be crescent shaped. These definitely look tapered towards the top which makes more sense.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 pm

It's nice to have both. I love the 4x4 CBS compared to MBS, much prefer the resin 4x4 caverns to the newer KS2 caverns, and the other 4x4 parts of DOE, ROTA, etc. Long may each format wave.
Last edited by lostpict on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,