KS Encounter Ideas

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:39 am

Below was the idea I had for a bridge to do that instead of a ceiling.

KS2 gave us the Elevated Bridge 5-EBR

How about a longer one with metal inside. With metal inside we could have magnetic stalactites/piercers to break away and spear our adventures (Even if the DM did not have them break off it would allow a bridge to have more than a few or no medium sized stalactites) or magnetic LED crystals that would work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge or magnetic rocks that just look like a normal part of the cave that would also work on floors, magnetic walls and on the bottom of this magnetic bridge (with the way magnetic items stick together you could have a nice big amount of rocks to come down in an rock fall). Heck a DM could glue some cotton ball string to a magnet as a spider web coming down from the bridge.

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am

jazzman wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am
Back to the "ceiling" encounter idea that's been mentioned a few times. A metal infused ceiling would allow a multi use encounter for magnet enabled minis like piercers, darkmantles, lurkers, hanging green slimes and black puddings, bats and ropers. Or just even a falling stalactite or net trap. So many possibilities. Heck I'd consider gluing metal under a large floor piece to do it. Would be much more realistic with an oddly shaped ceiling instead of a square floor though.
Would such a setup be playable ?

Sounds awfully cramped in that Cavern/Dungeon - but would be great to get a lurker in on the act.
I am the Game and I want to Play

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am

Back to the "ceiling" encounter idea that's been mentioned a few times. A metal infused ceiling would allow a multi use encounter for magnet enabled minis like piercers, darkmantles, lurkers, hanging green slimes and black puddings, bats and ropers. Or just even a falling stalactite or net trap. So many possibilities. Heck I'd consider gluing metal under a large floor piece to do it. Would be much more realistic with an oddly shaped ceiling instead of a square floor though.

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am

jazzman wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 am
Rabbit why would you want a Mummy to attack every time you picked a lock? :D
*sigh
Because it would absorb any damage dealt by the lock trap and provide an instant first aid kit for any damaged PCs :lol:

If only we had time to scream Igor as well to stitch back on any severed limbs

jazzman
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jazzman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 am

Rabbit why would you want a Mummy to attack every time you picked a lock? :D

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 am

Oldent wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am
Seraphis the Bland wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:38 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 am

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting... They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate....
My God, I can drop a random object in the room with my players and they will discuss what the heck it could be, what it [/i]really could be, what is it doing there, debate who brought it and for what purpose, etc, long enough for me to get up, make a coffee, visit the can, damn, I could probably make myself a sandwich before they would have even started the debate over what to do about it. If they detect magic on it they'll be transfixed over the wonder of the fact that it's not magical. I almost have to limit how often I do a description of natural objects/features of an area otherwise the game would never get anywhere!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I often wonder if some of the spineless heros are going to ever open a door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back in the day when we played DnD we had a standard phrase for picking any lock:
'I pick the lock while holding my breath, rolling away and screaming for mummy'

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:17 pm

To make a cavern Underdark encounter use blacklight LEDs in some clear crystal formations and in some transparent pools. I have seen blacklight LEDs and they look cool and Underdarkish.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:12 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am
Kryzsko wrote:
To answer the original question:

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting. Therefore they like more intelligent foes rather than the more animal-like monsters. They like to be able to sneak, lie, con, and to make deals. They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate, weird/creepy happenings, and puzzles to solve. My players prefer more of a framework of a story rather than a linear narrative. They like an objective or multiple objectives and people to talk to, and then they fill in the rest.

The original question.
I would think the original question is based on the assumption that the encounter is going to involve elements created with Dwarven Forge in caverns.I am going to limit my responses to to that. I am going to use a photo when possible. I like to imagine the encounter, create it with 3d elements and let the players fill in and react. Using 3D elements takes planning and preparation and a lot of time that many DMs do not have. I also use 3D elements for board games. Sometimes this involves parts/tiles that are not available.I often have to create something.What encounters created with new DF tiles and elements would you like to see?

I would like to see more ledges and water features.
Riddles in the dark.

I would like to see some serpiente walkways and Stairs.
Drums in the deep.

The photos pre date KS one.

I would like to see encounters involving Dwarf mines and Under Dark.

The first ting I thought of when this arrived Friday.

Bridge encounters? What is your name? What is your favorite color?

I would like to see a new log bridge

William asked about my paper cutter. I have it out to cut the felt paper base bottoms for my 24 lava tile set for Massive Darkness.

I need to finish the bases so I can stack them in boxes.
Love your pictures! I think the question can be answered both ways. My "To answer the original question" was not saying that other people were not answering the question but I was late to the conversation and I wanted to provide context for my comments as there had already been some ongoing discussion. Nothing wrong with your answer and discussion.

Also, I was thinking more about encounter design in general and again only how my players tend to play. I think a good encounter works well with or without terrain although taking in to account specific DF elements is good.

Funny thing about my group is that I have older players who are very cautious and methodical and now I have my 6-year-old son who has been playing with us and he just wants to kick down the door and charge in (I took that into account when we made his Dragonborn Barbarian) and it is funny to see these more cautious plays have to adapt. His style has made the game more dynamic. He naturally roleplays a barbarian well. D&D is such a fun game and I think kids take to it even better than adults.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Kryzsko wrote:

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting... They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate....
My God, I can drop a random object in the room with my players and they will discuss what the heck it could be, what it [/i]really could be, what is it doing there, debate who brought it and for what purpose, etc, long enough for me to get up, make a coffee, visit the can, damn, I could probably make myself a sandwich before they would have even started the debate over what to do about it. If they detect magic on it they'll be transfixed over the wonder of the fact that it's not magical. I almost have to limit how often I do a description of natural objects/features of an area otherwise the game would never get anywhere!
think of all the prep time you save for the following week ;)

i'm in a group like this - our world is SOOO complicated that we can literally spend an hour trying to figure out who we should trust to ask a question to - you learn to get gun shy when you have been betrayed often enough ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am

Kryzsko wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I often wonder if some of the spineless heros are going to ever open a door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!