How to Build the Royal Stronghold

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Re: How to Build the Royal Stronghold

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon May 08, 2017 2:29 pm

for some of the hollow Gorgonite pieces we added pieces of metal to make them a little heavier...I am actually surprised at how nicely the magnets help you out...it's almost magic like...you pick up a "spacer" and then a wall, and as the wall gets near to the spacer, it is drawn closer....as if it "wants" to get attached...MAGIC

The cubes might not play nice always because of the magnets, but all you have to do is spin them 1 or two times till they cooperate...it's also MAGIC....the cubes are alive...

ChicagoBart
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChicagoBart » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 am

Stormfury wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:09 am
OMG, Seeing how much stuff is in that Royal Stronghold, I fear I won't have enough room to store my pieces... Going to need a storage shed...
That was my concern with the Grand Citadel as well, but before all this was finalized I created a tiny bit of space in my game closet. My GC fits comfortably into two Stanley Toolboxes (I have ALL my City Builder divided among three others) and a couple of storage boxes (small ones). It does break down nicely to store. I'd bet the Stronghold could fit into three.

I have two varieties, but this is the style I have for my city builder stuff. You can find them here:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UJFAVO/re ... 7508242874.

Got mine at Target. It may be a standard item they carry. Hope that helps.
Beware the old man in a world
----- where men die young -----

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I feel you AS.

An 8"x8" Lego base would feel fairly substantial I think, but not if it was 100% hollow, same with a 2x2x2 cube.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:07 pm

An interesting fact: there was an original design for the Castles Kickstarter that I got to see when I was at the (now old) studio. It was definitely a unique design, but I'm glad the design morphed and iterated into the one we have now. Despite the number of pieces, I think they are simple enough when you get familiar with them that it won't be too much trouble to build new layouts and designs over and over.... it's really the inside corners which tripped me up the most. The rest was realatively to put together since it's a fair bit of repetition.

... and yes, Gorgonite (I like calling it that) is an ABS hard plastic (like Lego, but not the exact formula, though). Dwarvenite is PVC.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 pm
Harneloot wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 am
I am still in awe that they were actually able to pull it off - KS4 will go down in history I think!
I agree completely. I think this is as close as we will ever get to that colosseum from the old video. I doubt we will ever see any company do something at this scale ever again. The fact that they pulled it off and were only a few months late amazes me. The KS4 may not be for everyone but I am impressed and it demonstrates why Dwarven Forge is my favorite company.
Yes, this project was 100% a labour of love for Stefan and the rest of us. It absolutely would never have been realized with out that and without a platform like Kickstarter, otherwise.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:58 pm

I sure hope they aren't "cheap." I spent a lot of money on this kickstarter and I fully expect them to last a lifetime. No joke. DF is the gold standard and I have high expectations. Don't mean to be blunt but I went all out and I'd be disappointed I spent several thousand dollars on something "cheap." I don't expect it to be, but I would not be happy if I turned out to be wrong.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am
I just hope the hollow pieces still feel substantial, and not too light/cheap. :?
Me, too. Somehow I doubt DF would go too light on the hollow pieces, as they still require lots of durability. At the same time, there are some very large volume pieces that would be just too heavy to be solid Dwarvenite, so there needs to be some compromise in order to keep material costs and shipping weight down.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am

I just hope the hollow pieces still feel substantial, and not too light/cheap. :?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:23 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:10 pm
dice4hire wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:50 am
Watching it now, and it looks great, but is it just me or is the sound of the pieces going together really different than the older dwarvenite? I do not remember my builds clicking that way.
Yeah, I have the feeling they will be lighter than I would have expected and feel like a Games Workshop type of plastic instead of dwarvenite. This makes me worried for cracking in the future if something gets dropped or bumped in the wrong place. We'll see though.
I think the sound is coming from a) the clicking of the exposed magnets coming together, and b) reverberation through the thicker pieces which are likely hollow. By that I mean the wall bases and the cube spacers.