Oct-Dec 2007 Contest -- The Watery Cavern

DMMJ
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DMMJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:00 am

My first posting of photos here in the forum…and for a contest! I hope these come out OK. I wanted to try to tell a story with the photos, so each is numbered. Thanks to my wife Deeanna for her handy camera work and John for his photo editing.

1 The setup-to the north, the Three Skull Tribe dwells, carefully eyeing small group of lizard men to the south in watery cavern.

2 The earth trembles and a tunnel collapses, separating the orc tribe. The strongest orc, Homar declares himself chieftain and without food or water declares war on the lizard folk. “We crush stoopid scalies, they weak and we many,” he roars.

3 The orcs charge down the twisting caverns of underdark, arriving in the watery cavern. Unsure of how deep the water is, the orcs quickly build a crude raft. Three orcs, Lenny, Karl and Barney climb aboard. Barney cries aloud “the water is not deep and it looks safe to me,” BELCH!!

4 Unbeknownst to the orcs, the lizard folk chieftain is a wily necromancer and springs a surprise of his own on the orcs. The three stooges are cut down, only a wooden raft remaining where they once stood.

5 A massive melee occurs throughout the watery cavern until only 2 lizard folk and Homar remain. “He’ssss mine,” hisses the Burnz, to the remaining lizard folk. The two chieftain’s step out onto the wooden bridge, each letting out a ferocious battle cry. Homar charges Burnz, stepping on a loose board, he bellows forth his rage of frustration “D’oh” as he plunges into the water below and pulled to his death by the raging whirlpool.

Purplesaber
Orc
Orc

Post by Purplesaber » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! This is first time had the right sets to participate in a contest. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries!

thomast22
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thomast22 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 am

Very nice! I like the story as well.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:01 am

Nice layout & a real creative use of some of the pieces!!!

Bravo!

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:15 am

Nice job!

I like it!

Sean

Purplesaber
Orc
Orc

Post by Purplesaber » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:58 am

The Island of Thanatos

The Island of Thanatos is a dormant volcano jutting up from the icy and fog-shrouded waters many miles off the shore of the mainland. All sailors of good judgment avoid this rocky and treacherous island because it is home to a shadowy and little known cult of death worshippers: the cult of Thanatos.

Even the cultists of Thanatos do not permanently live on this inhospitable rock. Priestesses and their initiates come to the island to perform their special and secret ceremonies only four times per year, which are rumored to coincide with the seasonal solstices and equinoxes.

It is said that the cultists leave valuable offerings to their great god Thanatos in the caves. However only the most brave or the most foolhardy of adventurers that would attempt an exploration or treasure hunt here!

An expert pilot is required to bring a craft safely to the small natural landing on the island’s south coast. A narrow channel between cliffs is the only approach to the landing, which itself is surrounded by numerous rocky shoals. Unpredictable currents create whirlpools where the sea meets natural rivers flowing from interior caverns.

The Thanatos cultists have cleared two caverns: one for use by the lay initiates and one used by the priestesses for the most arcane rituals and magics. The initiates’ cavern is accessed directly from the landing spit; the priestesses must cross a rickety bridge over turbulent waters to enter the murky grotto dedicated to Thanatos. Natural cavernous passages extend deep into the dormant volcano. These interior caves are seldom used or explored. Cultists have gone into these deep and dank places never to return. Whispers of the existence of ghosts, wraiths and worse abound.

Adventurers beware!

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:46 am

O my God O my God I need to find the good ideas damn !
Until 10 of december 2007 ? it let me time to search good ideas too !

lupus
Orc
Orc

Post by lupus » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:55 pm

Heheh northman :) I'm in the same boat.

Have been thinking about ordering, and this will probably push me towards it. Again, not that I have any chance of winning, but it would be great to just be in the game, so to speak :D

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Definatly a smart marketing plan.

I am actually this close to ordering the Lake Expansion and Lake set so I could just enter this competition. Even tough the chances of me winning are pretty low.

Sean

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:17 am

So... much. ... fun!

So.... little... time!

I'm gonna have to get in on this..
Not entirely sure HOW....

L

(methinks I detect a small pattern here -- while you DF people had all the cool tavern goodies, you asked us to build taverns before we had our hands on them. . . now, you have all these cool cavernous chasm and bridge pieces, and you seek pics of large cavern setups... it does do a good job of whetting our appetites for future releases, I admit...)