Oct-Dec 2007 Contest -- The Watery Cavern

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:10 pm

Once again I feel that I have a sub-par entry -- just no time lately, and working within the constraints of the contests is something I'm finding very difficult! A neat challenge, but difficult!

L

Purplesaber
Orc
Orc

Post by Purplesaber » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:02 am

Love the entries so far, hope to get mine up soon. Purplesaber, I like how it looks like you used the waterfall/dripping stones as one of the ends of your river. I wish there was a better shot of that from a different angle though. DMMJ, I really like your 2nd story, it really adds to your layout. I especially like the use of the deadend wall as it's something I was having trouble fitting into my layout.

Fiddy, that was the waterfall at the end of a river. When you only get 5 photos it's hard to get all the little details in!

I'm looking forward to your layout!

fiddy
Orc
Orc

Post by fiddy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 am

Love the entries so far, hope to get mine up soon. Purplesaber, I like how it looks like you used the waterfall/dripping stones as one of the ends of your river. I wish there was a better shot of that from a different angle though. DMMJ, I really like your 2nd story, it really adds to your layout. I especially like the use of the deadend wall as it's something I was having trouble fitting into my layout.

Actually, I wish I hadn't checked the thread earlier this week (before building my setup) as I was originally intending to use my bowties in a similar way to DMMJ (the 'cave-in'), but ah well... I'm definitely glad that the more recent pieces don't use the bow-ties, as nothing has pointed out their fruitlessness to me as this set up. (just too many pieces that just don't quite line up right for the bow-ties to fit properly). Of course part of that may be due to some of the older pieces themselves being just a tad off. Was resin shrinkage a bigger problem in the old cavern sets? I admit that I don't use them that often so maybe I just didn't notice it before.

Anyways, on a separate note, I kept varying my layout since I was trying to use up all the water pieces and have the shores all line up (while at the same time having it fully enclosed), but gave up eventually and compromised on having a few 'oddities'. I was a little surprised that the pieces I kept needing more of was the 2 corner shores on the same edge and (and of course the solid walls, I always seem to need more walls). Though (other than walls) I think I've probably got plenty of lake/river pieces to make the setups I want when not attempting to meet contest rules.

Ok, enough rambling. Need to see if I can get my pictures up Tuesday (no time tonight due to Rappan Athuk game)

Deathwing
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Deathwing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 pm

I have to finish some pieces yet, but I'm debuting it at Fall-In, a smaller con in Gettysburg, PA. Pictures will be forthcoming sometime mid-November

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:54 pm

Well, I wish the contest was for straight up for cavern pieces, cuz I got my mad scientist lab that uses five of the regular cavern sets

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of that in the photo section (hint, hint)!

Deathwing
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Deathwing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Well, I wish the contest wase for straight up for cavern pieces, cuz I got my mad scientist lab that uses five of the regular cavern sets, but none of the other sets. I do plan to buy them eventually. ;)

DMMJ
Goblin
Goblin

Post by DMMJ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Love the bow-tie cave-in!!!

Had to use them for something Harn! Great setup btw Purple, I like the backstory!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:57 am

Love the bow-tie cave-in!!!

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:03 am

All I can say is, Jeff, Stefan, any other judges:

You guys have your work cut out for you THIS time, FER SHURE!

Two EXCELLENT entries already! Good Grief, what ELSE is coming down the pike?

Purplesaber, DMMJ; Great setups!

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:45 am

Like the story line! Adds some to the set up!

Sean